Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olivine; can we save the planet?
Kiwi scientists have devised a way to sequester massive amounts of carbon dioxide.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/clim...on-nz-rock

"New Zealand academics have figured out a way to sequester massive amounts of carbon dioxide using a common rock.

Sequestering is a method of capturing a material, in this case the climate change gas carbon dioxide, with another material from which it cannot escape.

So far, they’ve sequestered only a few grams of CO2 in a proof of concept exercise, but it looks theoretically possible to sequester an entire year of manmade CO2 emissions (about 40 billion tonnes in 2020) using a small percentage of the world’s supply of the rock, which is called “olivine”.  That’s a long way off because the scale needed to achieve anything is massive, say the academics leading this research, Allan Scott from the University of Canterbury and Christopher Oze from Occidental College, California."

https://eos.org/articles/can-these-rocks...ate-change

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/environment...on-oceans/

https://www.sunlive.co.nz/news/329623-a-...ecret.html
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
This could be brilliant - but its still too early to tell whether or not it could work, & also what the drawbacks might be. Still, a glimmer of hope where before there was nothing much isn't a bad thing. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
The planet does not need saving. It will adjust to the changes we have wrought. The challenge is - will we survive?

And no, not unless we change our behaviour. And fast.
(28-10-2023, 07:49 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: The planet does not need saving. It will adjust to the changes we have wrought. The challenge is - will we survive?

And no, not unless we change our behaviour. And fast.

Yes - but I wish I had more confidence that we can actually do it...
This new technology if it does what is claimed will likely just be used as an excuse by those who continue to burn stuff to continue as usual. The climate change deniers are all too eager to use any new mitigation strategy as yet another reason why they shouldn't mend their ways.
(29-10-2023, 04:58 PM)harm_less Wrote: This new technology if it does what is claimed will likely just be used as an excuse by those who continue to burn stuff to continue as usual. The climate change deniers are all too eager to use any new mitigation strategy as yet another reason why they shouldn't mend their ways.

You're probably right but it may come to a point where laws are needed to make sure we can achieve it, if the situation becomes extremely bad at some future point.
There was a man on Q&A this morning, putting forward an opinion on the covid lockdowns. It was one of those yell at the tv moments for me.

Sometimes some people are so wrapped up in their 'rights' that they just cannot differentiate between the ideology and the life and death realities of living in this world. And sometimes we are just blind by choice. It saves us having to make changes.
Plus remember there's a lot of idiots around, after all more than half the population is below average IQ.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(29-10-2023, 07:56 PM)zqwerty Wrote: Plus remember there's a lot of idiots around, after all more than half the population is below average IQ.

"I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that dogs think humans are nuts."

From Travels with Charley, John Steinbeck

Rolleyes Big Grin