Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Economic policies
Every election cycle we go through this dance. Labour takes from the wealthy and spends like its going out of fashion, whereas National hands out free money, cuts services and doesn't plan ahead. Which is best? Who knows. Trickle-down - does it work? Probably not. What is it exactly? People can't seem to agree on the definition. It hurts me noggin.

Say what you like about totalitarian regimes, but at least they don't go through the inherent yo-yo-ing of a nice boring democracy!
National's policy is called "Torrent up" but only to their mates of course.
How did this thread get missed? well done for finding it...

I have always thought that there needs to be some form of bipartisan system in place, over and above the election cycle, that provides an overall framework/guideline/stonetablet for the long term strategic planning of the country... to deal with the decades of underinvestment ( in favour of returns to investors ) everywhere

I don't think we have anything like that at all.
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Democracy is like sailing a boat into the wind...tack left, tack right. Keep a good balance in the tacks, allow for wind shifts, and hopefully we reach our destination.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
We really should as far as possible, do what some of the Nordic countries do; have high taxes which cover stuff like Health, education etc. etc. Despite paying those high taxes, their people invariably feature at the top of those 'happiest people' surveys.

Imo Health & education are so important that they should be placed in separate categories in every country, fully funded by taxes & placed well out of reach of meddling politicians & their 'improvements.'
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Capitalism depends on a lower class to be forced by economic necessity to do the low paid jobs no one else wants to do. Therefore it is in the interests of the moneyed to ensure the lowest among us don't get educated, don't get the means to escape their fates, otherwise there is a threat to profit.

We need to remake the system, and we could. After all we invented this one.

Democracy depends on the majority holding the power, and as wealth equates to power the two systems are inextricably mingled. But we invented democracy too...

Maybe AI will do it better.
(20-06-2023, 09:09 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Capitalism depends on a lower class to be forced by economic necessity to do the low paid jobs no one else wants to do. Therefore it is in the interests of the moneyed to ensure the lowest among us don't get educated, don't get the means to escape their fates, otherwise there is a threat to profit.

We need to remake the system, and we could. After all we invented this one.

Democracy depends on the majority holding the power, and as wealth equates to power the two systems are inextricably mingled. But we invented democracy too...

Maybe AI will do it better.
Double edged sword there I suspect. Robotics and artificial protein production will reduce the jobs available for those with limited education while lowering, if not removing, the requirement for fair labour conditions and negotiable rates of pay.

The dawn of a technological underclass? The results of increased unemployment will impact on crime and narcotic abuse as well as psychological disruption. Add to that a dysfunctional and aggressive climate with the social damage that will cause and AI will have quite a job to do in keeping our civilisation on an even keel.

A more constructive approach would be to motivate the younger voters to invest in their own futures by voting in governments that have the environment and socially supportive policies at top of mind. The young have the most to lose so should be best placed to decide what world they want to grow up and procreate in without blindly following the almighty dollar.
While we could change the system to a better one, it seems unlikely to happen soon - more's the pity. And if we continue to ignore what we should be doing for the environment, we may not have a world which is livable.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)