Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the Nats & the radicals within
For those of us who recall BloodyRogerBloodyDouglas & all that he & his mates did, this makes deeply scary reading. May the radicals NOT prevail. Dodgy

https://www.stuff.co.nz/opinion/30100154...cal-change

[b]Damien Grant is an Auckland business owner and a regular opinion contributor for Stuff, writing from a libertarian perspective.[/b]
[b]"OPINION: [/b]
When we look back to the turbulent years of 1984 to 1990 we think of Sir Roger Douglas, Richard Prebble, Mike Moore and Michael Bassett. Almost forgotten, an afterthought, a curious historical anomality, was the prime minister. Lange someone.
 I am going to outline a thesis that has been building in my mind for some months, but before I do, some context.
I’m not a journalist.
Here is what I think.
The leadership of National, that being Luxon and his close confidants, are cautious. They wish to remain in office for three terms and believe they have the ability to turn the country around through prudent management and sensible reforms. They are in the mould of Sir Key and English, who believe in stable economic fiscal management and competent administration.
They are not radical nor are they ideological. They see themselves as responsible and pragmatic. There are many senior and less senior figures in National who subscribe to this worldview. They may even be the majority.

However, inside that caucus are a collection of frustrated politicians who believe the party wasted the opportunity during its last tenure in power.
They understand not only the scale of the challenge New Zealand is facing, especially in its fiscal settings and failing education sector, but sense the size of the opportunity on offer.
These MPs are closer to Act than Jim Bolger in their worldview and want radical change.
And they have allies; and not just in Act. Winston Peters has brought some interesting individuals into parliament with him. Casey Costello was a board member, and deputy chair, of the free-market activist group the TaxPayers Union, thanked and served alongside Ruth Richardson.

Act, as has been well documented, has an aggressive agenda and is playing to win. They didn’t hit the numbers they wanted but have a potent mix of raw political talent in Brooke van Velden and Nicole McKee, but also policy-focused MPs such as Simon Court and farming legend Andrew Hoggard.
It is unclear what NZ First wants this time around. Presumably, Peters would like to see the scrapping of the SmokeFree Aotearoa agenda that would see it illegal for anyone to purchase full-strength cigarettes from April 2025.

Within the fabric of the three parties that will be required to co-operate, regardless of how the final numbers and the Port Waikato election shake out, are powerful forces wanting to move much faster and more decisively than it appears Luxon is comfortable with.
Lange lacked the authority to reign in Douglas and his acolytes. He was their leader and was forced to follow them. Lange was also a prisoner of events and a public service determined to impose the necessary economic medicine to avoid falling into the hands of the IMF.
There will be a struggle for the soul of this administration between those who favour a gradual and incremental improvement and those, from all three parties, who want drastic and permanent change.
The Fourth Labour government ultimately imploded over the unresolved tensions between the cautious Lange and the aggressive Douglas; and they were all in the same party. Luxon’s challenge isn’t exactly analogous, but the similarities are too significant to ignore.
May the radicals prevail."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
It could, of course, be wishful thinking from Grant. The article identifies his biases nicely.
I do have other cameras!
(05-11-2023, 05:17 PM)Praktica Wrote: It could, of course, be wishful thinking from Grant. The article identifies his biases nicely.

Exactly what I'm hoping for. At least he's honest about his views.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
If you want ragwort, he is just the gardener you need.
Tongue
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
plenty of radicals in the previous government
yes i know
(08-11-2023, 03:26 PM)jim157 Wrote: plenty of radicals in the previous government
That would seem to be what progressive governments are in need of, or do you prefer stale old politicians who aim to do the same old tired policies? It would seem that's exactly what Winston's support base favours; taking us all back to the 1950s when things were so much better in their minds.
Radicals in Labour would have brought in a wealth tax, tightened restrictions on landlords, and pushed harder on climate change. They did none of those things, so where were the radicals, then?
I do have other cameras!
(08-11-2023, 03:26 PM)jim157 Wrote: plenty of radicals in the previous government

Extremely well hidden then weren't they.. Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
(08-11-2023, 06:17 PM)Praktica Wrote: Radicals in Labour would have brought in a wealth tax, tightened restrictions on landlords, and pushed harder on climate change. They did none of those things, so where were the radicals, then?

Sounds like they want to introduce it next time, they were divided even among their own caucus on the matter, but at least they listened to public pressure. This also appears the reason labour lost so many votes to the Greens.

Glad we have NZ first back in the game, glad my vote wasn't wasted on them.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.