Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Palmerton North 15min smart city
Looks like the city is slated to be a testing ground.
Expect to see more emphasis on public transport and making the city harder to get around by car.
Hopefully this govt will put a stop to it.
They have already scrapped the wellington CBD project  which is a positive step, had that gone ahead, it would kill the business's.
https://pn15.nz/Palmerston_North_in_Fifteen_Minutes.htm
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
I could cycle from North St to PNGHS in 20 minutes when I was sixteen...

Not my favourite town though I do like its lack of hills.
^^ So that's why your hips wore out, excessive speeds while cycling.
There may not be hills to handicap cyclists, but while it never blows in Palmerston North, it's just the air hurrys through to blow somewhere else. They did have a lot of excellent people there. Another feature of the place was the cunning way when someone stole the railway station they hid the new one miles away. (At least it was close to the railway line.)

Smile
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
We used to have 15 minute cities....and then malls came along and we didn't have 15 minute cities. What's wrong with getting the 15 minute city back. I hate going to Auckland, because there is certainly nothing 15 minutes about it !
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(11-11-2023, 10:49 AM)Zurdo Wrote: We used to have 15 minute cities....and then malls came along and we didn't have 15 minute cities.  What's wrong with getting the 15 minute city back. I hate going to Auckland, because there is certainly nothing 15 minutes about it !
20 years ago the reasoning was related to 'peak oil', but the same message still applies... now to prevent environmental degradation as well as for its economic advantages both personally and on a national basis.

(11-11-2023, 08:21 AM)R2x1 Wrote: ^^ So that's why your hips wore out, excessive speeds while cycling. 
There may not be hills to handicap cyclists, but while it never blows in Palmerston North, it's just the air hurrys through to blow somewhere else. They did have a lot of excellent people there. Another feature of the place was the cunning way when someone stole the railway station they hid the new one miles away. (At least it was close to the railway line.)

Smile

Of course it was. Cycling I mean.  Big Grin
Oh....dear! Cter's at it again.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/03/03/consp...city-idea/
"Some conservative commentators and conspiracy theorists are increasingly convinced the concept of a "15-minute city" — an urban design principle recently embraced by cities ranging from Paris, France to Cleveland, Ohio — is the latest nefarious plot to curtail individual freedoms.

"You won't be able to use your own car on certain roads and highways without the government's permission and consent," claimed one Instagram user in a recent video that's been liked more than 5400 times.
"You will be constantly monitored by surveillance cameras to ensure that you don't leave your designated residential zone without first being authorised to do so."

But urban experts and city officials stress the idea has nothing to do with regulating people's movements or taking away other freedoms.
In some cases, they say, it's being wrongly conflated with local plans to mitigate traffic-clogged roads.

The claim
"15-minute cities" are designed to restrict people's movements, increase government surveillance and infringe on other individual rights.

The facts
The urban planning concept is simply about building more compact, walkable communities where people are less reliant on cars.
The conspiracy theories took off late last year in the United Kingdom, as the concept was conflated with an effort to impose new traffic restrictions to ease congestion in and around the famous university community of Oxford.

He pointed to a fact sheet the county and city governments issued jointly in December to set the record straight.

The fact sheet states that the filters aren't physical barriers that will confine people to their local area, but instead traffic cameras that will photograph the license plates of any non-compliant drivers, who could then be subject to a fine.
Drivers will still be able to travel to any part of the city at any time, but may have to take a different route.

Dan Luscher, creator of The 15-Minute City, a blog devoted to the design concept, argues it's "first and foremost" about choice, not coercion.
"It is about creating neighbourhoods and cities with urban amenities close at hand, and with convenient and safe options for getting around," he wrote in an email.

"It is about enabling people to get their needs met within their own neighbourhood, not confining them to that neighbourhood.
"It is about mobility, not lockdown."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
You should really take a look at what's happening in the UK, such as ULEZ.
Residents are already fighting back on that one. Other villages have closed off roads in residential streets!
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(17-11-2023, 08:40 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: You should really take a look at what's happening in the UK, such as ULEZ.
Residents are already fighting back on that one. Other villages have closed off roads in residential streets!
And you should post reliably sourced links to support your random claims.