Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Icelandic volcano
Icelandic authorities have declared a state of emergency following a series of powerful earthquakes that shook the country's southwestern Reykjanes peninsula, indicating an elevated risk of a volcanic eruption in the region. The village of Grindavik, housing around 4,000 people, has been evacuated. It is situated 1.86 miles from the epicenter where 1400 earthquakes occurred in the past 24 hours. On Thursday, the Blue Lagoon, along with its geothermal plant near Grindavik the primary provider of electricity and water to 30,000 residents has been closed off to the public.

Live cam:

Bottom left seems to be a view of Grindavik which has been evacuated as a live magma tube has been detected under it.
Scary stuff. Nothing quite as heart stopping as realising there's a volcano under your house.

Ummm, hang on...
Chatter between the volcano nerds on that YT channel is that the town of Grindavik is now fully evacuated and the ground there has now risen 20cm due to magma pressure from below.

Just posted:
That looks terrifying; worse than finding the city you live in is built on fault lines..
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(11-11-2023, 06:10 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: That looks terrifying; worse than finding the city you live in is built on fault lines..
Or on a volcano field. Rangitoto was an active volcano just 600 years ago and there's plenty of lava caves under Auckland city.
(11-11-2023, 06:35 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 06:10 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: That looks terrifying; worse than finding the city you live in is built on fault lines..
Or on a volcano field. Rangitoto was an active volcano just 600 years ago and there's plenty of lava caves under Auckland city.

Especially pleased not to live there, just in case. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Ahhh, but the beaches are lovely, and so close...
Not looking good.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/301...0#cxrecs_s
Looks like its going to be a fissure type of eruption similar to Hawaii.
Won't be explosive according to experts, but nonetheless still devastating with potential huge lava flows.
We are only seeing the beginning, but could last for months.
It must be just awful for those who live there, not knowing if they can ever return or how bad it might get.
(15-11-2023, 11:34 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: It must be just awful for those who live there, not knowing if they can ever return or how bad it might get.

It is a risk Icelanders know and accept as part of living there.  Glad I got to see The Blue Lagoon though.
Yeah most of them likely accept it, still horrible to loose your home if you are located in the area, but most should have put plans in place, this place is a seriously active fault. They have a huge geothermal plant there as a result.
New footage from a live feed of last night's eruption including some great drone footage.

Link doesn't seem to want to work on this forum. You can check it out using this URL https://www.youtube.com/live/MPm-J2YqzZY (The footage around the 1 hour 8 minute mark shows the 'birth' of a new vent area just north of the town boundary).
That looks bloody scary, poor people.
My neighbour was over there last month, he said that he wouldnt have even known what was going on while he was there, I think the closest he had got to the area was about 30k or so.
(18-11-2023, 03:16 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(15-11-2023, 11:34 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: It must be just awful for those who live there, not knowing if they can ever return or how bad it might get.

It is a risk Icelanders know and accept as part of living there.  Glad I got to see The Blue Lagoon though.
That is the true beauty of travel, we never forget the wonders we saw. So many things I am grateful to have experienced for myself - an investment that constantly rewards.
Despite the destruction, it's quite a spectacular thing to watch.
I wonder how long this will continue for?
I see they have made attempts to divert the lava flows by moving earth to bank it up. Looked pretty sketchy and I think one of the drivers had a close call!
This was 7 hours ago. SO lucky they got everyone out - well done Icelanders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WuIh9opEgU
(16-01-2024, 02:19 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: This was 7 hours ago. SO lucky they got everyone out - well done Icelanders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WuIh9opEgU

They have managed the whole situation very well, it's evident their government has prepared for such an event well in advance and the results show this quite clearly.

Looks like this fault has ruptured for the first time in 800 years.
If there is anything positive about it, they may gain more land mass if enough lava flows out to sea.
https://www.sciencealert.com/experts-con...-800-years
I wish every govt in every country could be so well prepared for events similar to this.