Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GM to scrap Holden brand in Australia and New Zealand
Star 
End of an era :

"The Holden car brand will be no more, with General Motors opting to dump the name synonymous with Australian motoring by 2021.

After closing the company's local manufacturing operations in 2017, GM said it had taken the "difficult" decision to retire the brand from sales in both Australia and New Zealand after considering numerous options to revive Holden's flagging sales."

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/gm-to-scrap-...ew-zealand
No longer 'Holden together'.
Was never particularly a Holdun man but still its the end of an era as they say. Bugger.
(17-02-2020, 03:53 PM)Drcspy Wrote: No longer 'Holden together'.
Was never particularly a Holdun man but still its the end of an era as they say. Bugger.
Lol, I always called then OldHen
Well I guess Holden is not so much of a brand nowdays since the factory closed in Australia and most models were simply badge engineered versions of vehicles from other markets.
The Colorado has the american chev version, as does the vectra in Europe under th opel badge, etc.

Definitely the end of an era for sure, does this mean that all Holdens will be replaced by chevys?
(17-02-2020, 04:41 PM)Admin Wrote: Well I guess Holden is not so much of a brand nowdays since the factory closed in Australia and most models were simply badge engineered versions of vehicles from other markets.
The Colorado has the american chev version, as does the vectra in Europe under th opel badge, etc.

Definitely the end of an era for sure, does this mean that all Holdens will be replaced by chevys?
Looking at news reports GM are bailing out of the RHD market all together.
(17-02-2020, 11:24 PM)Maigret Wrote:
(17-02-2020, 04:41 PM)Admin Wrote: Well I guess Holden is not so much of a brand nowdays since the factory closed in Australia and most models were simply badge engineered versions of vehicles from other markets.

Looking at news reports GM are bailing out of the RHD market all together.
Well I guess this explains a lot then.
Probably a drop in the bucket for GM's market share I guess.
What does this mean for the likes of Izuzu and other commercial vehicles, since they are part of GM too are they not?
I guess we will see more D-max sales to fill in the gap from theĀ  Colorado?
GM have sold their Europe division to PSA. A third of the world's population live in RHD countries so that market is not small. They are retrenching so it makes you wonder what state the company is in.
(19-02-2020, 04:19 PM)Maigret Wrote: GM have sold their Europe division to PSA. A third of the world's population live in RHD countries so that market is not small. They are retrenching so it makes you wonder what state the company is in.
That third of global population would to a large extent be due to India and to a lesser degree Japan. Both markets that GM would struggle in I suspect so not surprising they're dropping RHD vehicle production.
[Image: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c...ht.svg.png]