Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"They've burnt the house down" new govt
(28-11-2023, 09:47 AM)Praktica Wrote:
(28-11-2023, 09:25 AM)Bracken Wrote: Has smoking been made compulsory?

Shhh - don't give them ideas.

Coming to a Kindergarten near you at any minute, apparently.... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Back in the day when I could (and did) vote for alcohol prohibition, people used to tell me it was silly because prohibition only increases the black market and doesn't solve anything. We should either prohibit alcohol and cigarettes or try to convince people to stop using them, and all the other harmful drugs that are already illegal but haven't gone away. Whilst I disagree with going back on the promised future of cigarette prohibition, I do fully get that it's pointless, especially when we still have alcohol readily available everywhere.
National showing their true colours, they truly have no shame, their greed partially blinds them.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Winston is a smoker so not exactly surprising.
I'd like to see us go the way of Portugal with drugs; they decriminalised over a decade ago & their rate of drug overdose deaths has fallen markedly. They have better support & education for those who are addicted.

As for smoking & vaping, I think far more help & support is needed for all those addicted but especially younger ones. And wider education about the harmful effects of both - because big tobacco certainly won't do it, when it might affect their profits.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world...01780.html

"Portugal decriminalised drugs 14 years ago – and now hardly anyone dies from overdosing
The country has 3 overdose deaths per million citizens, compared to the EU average of 17.3

Portugal decriminalised the use of all drugs in 2001. Weed, cocaine, heroin, you name it — Portugal decided to treat possession and use of small quantities of these drugs as a public health issue, not a criminal one. The drugs were still illegal, of course. But now getting caught with them meant a small fine and maybe a referral to a treatment program — not jail time and a criminal record.
Among Portuguese adults, there are 3 drug overdose deaths for every 1,000,000 citizens. Comparable numbers in other countries range from 10.2 per million in the Netherlands to 44.6 per million in the UK, all the way up to 126.8 per million in Estonia. The EU average is 17.3 per million."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
‘Stop the price-gouging’: Biden hits corporations over high consumer costs

You'll never hear that complaint from a National Government about the outrageous price gouging going on here in NZ:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/27/white-ho...-wins.html
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(28-11-2023, 03:53 PM)zqwerty Wrote: ‘Stop the price-gouging’: Biden hits corporations over high consumer costs

You'll never hear that complaint from a National Government about the outrageous price gouging going on here in NZ:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/27/white-ho...-wins.html

Indeed - catch this lot being genuinely concerned about those who are struggling. 
Given the rather large profits supermarkets are making, it wouldn't hurt the govt to put the spotlight on them.
It's funny how those who profess to care about people were so keen to see a continuation of what we had. If you do the same, you get the same. So the majority of people voted to do something different. And maybe it will help. Some of the problems do go back decades, but most have got worse in the last 3/6 years under Labour. The new government has hit the ground running with a balance of new and experienced leadership. Hopefully the new will have new ideas, and the experienced will use that experience to guide in the right direction. Only time will tell. At least there is now reason to hope.
(29-11-2023, 09:39 AM)SueDonim Wrote: It's funny how those who profess to care about people were so keen to see a continuation of what we had. If you do the same, you get the same. So the majority of people voted to do something different. And maybe it will help. Some of the problems do go back decades, but most have got worse in the last 3/6 years under Labour. The new government has hit the ground running with a balance of new and experienced leadership. Hopefully the new will have new ideas, and the experienced will use that experience to guide in the right direction. Only time will tell. At least there is now reason to hope.

You're a landlord with multiple dairies selling tobacco products?
I do have other cameras!
(29-11-2023, 09:39 AM)SueDonim Wrote: It's funny how those who profess to care about people were so keen to see a continuation of what we had. If you do the same, you get the same. So the majority of people voted to do something different. And maybe it will help. Some of the problems do go back decades, but most have got worse in the last 3/6 years under Labour. The new government has hit the ground running with a balance of new and experienced leadership. Hopefully the new will have new ideas, and the experienced will use that experience to guide in the right direction. Only time will tell. At least there is now reason to hope.

Once again the problems we now have are due to greed based Neo Liberalism being imposed on this country without warning or consultation, by BOTH National & Labour over the last 40 odd years. Its therefore somewhat unfair to blame solely Labour for the situation we have.
And right wing govts have a history of often bashing poor people, (Ruth Richardson & the 'mother of all budgets might ring a bell or two) & of imposing harsh  penalties for various crimes rather than trying to address the causes. 

I'd prefer that we have a govt which can take a long term view rather than merely a 3 year one; apart from the govt in the 30's which set about building state houses, there's been a  distinct lack of that.
 I'd also prefer that we have (set in stone so that no future meddling idiot politicians of any political stripe can alter it) suffcient laws/rules around incomes with the basic income for everyone whether working or not, sufficient to actually live on, sufficient housing for everyone, free ( as in paid for with our taxes)  healthcare available to everyone rather than just the wealthy, education also freely available to all & also paid for with our taxes as far as is possible for this country.

I'd also like to see public education on the subject of poor people; there was a time in this country when we were far more equal than is now the case & its utterly disgraceful & not a little sickening that some who've become wealthy apparently thoroughly enjoy looking down their noses  at those who are struggling, blaming them for their poverty & disparaging them on a regular basis.
Bravo Lilith7, very well said.
The Leader of the House Chris Bishop on National Radio this morning said it was important that the Fair Pay Agreements Act 2022 was repealed. This Government priorities are sickening.
and the next most damaging to society policy (after tobaccogate) -  doing away with the current consumer credit protections...

Quote: Rewrite the Credit Contracts and Consumer Finance Act 2003 to protect vulnerable consumers without unnecessarily limiting access to credit.

https://www.thepost.co.nz/politics/35011...ement-full

Reads to me like they just want to be able to sell more to folks - who cares if they can actually afford it...  

It all falls apart if you accept that some people just can't take responsibility for their own actions and must be protected from themselves...  what other purpose is the law for?
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Did things really get worse?

They didn't for me. My income went up quietly but steadily, and my rent matched each raise. But my tenancy was safe and secure. I got older and less healthy, but the care was there albeit under pressure, and I survived covid by being vaxed and masked and distanced. I even got that shiny new hip despite whining about how long the waiting list was. Not quite for free, but damned near. When I needed help it was there, while I was also free to do my own thing without interference. I was safe from crime, had access to public transport, education, safe food and water...

I wonder sometimes if perhaps some of us confuse want with need, and have different ideas about their just desserts. I just wish everyone was as blessed as I am.
(30-11-2023, 09:39 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Did things really get worse?

They didn't for me. My income went up quietly but steadily, and my rent matched each raise. But my tenancy was safe and secure. I got older and less healthy, but the care was there albeit under pressure, and I survived covid by being vaxed and masked and distanced. I even got that shiny new hip despite whining about how long the waiting list was. Not quite for free, but damned near. When I needed help it was there, while I was also free to do my own thing without interference. I was safe from crime, had access to public transport, education, safe food and water...

I wonder sometimes if perhaps some of us confuse want with need, and have different ideas about their just desserts. I just wish everyone was as blessed as I am.

Its not so bad for some of us; we mayn't be wildly wealthy but we can manage. But while there will always be some who can't manage so well (high rentals don't help) that should be true for everyone as far as possible.
I'm extremely glad not to be trying to bring up a young family in these times for example - it must be far more difficult than it was when I was doing it, & it was no picnic then.

Sounds like what happens to most folk methinks!  Well said.
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
(30-11-2023, 10:29 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:

Its not so bad for some of us; we mayn't be wildly wealthy but we can manage. But while there will always be some who can't manage so well (high rentals don't help) that should be true for everyone as far as possible.
I'm extremely glad not to be trying to bring up a young family in these times for example - it must be far more difficult than it was when I was doing it, & it was no picnic then.

I agree, listening to my daughter vent about her challenges makes me realise, I paid my dues and now I get to sympathise - at arms length! Different seasons...

We're better off now than we've ever been - certainly better off than when we were raising kids. It helps to have the house mortgage free.
I do have other cameras!
An email that I received yesterday from Consumer NZ <info@consumer.org.nz had at the end:-
"Tell us what supermarket products you want us to price monitor.
In 2024, we’ll be knuckling down on price monitoring, and we need your help to get started. We’d love you to tell us what products we should track first by voting in our poll. " So it's an opportunity to tell them.
Well a lettuce last week was a $1 this week its $2.50 but then it's no longer Black Friday week.
(01-12-2023, 02:21 PM)alpha111 Wrote: An email that I received yesterday from Consumer NZ <info@consumer.org.nz had at the end:-
"Tell us what supermarket products you want us to price monitor.
In 2024, we’ll be knuckling down on price monitoring, and we need your help to get started. We’d love you to tell us what products we should track first by voting in our poll. " So it's an opportunity to tell them.
Well a lettuce last week was a $1 this week its $2.50 but then it's no longer Black Friday week.

Produce prices vary according to the season - not long ago tomatoes were well over $10/kg. This morning I bought a kg for $5.
I do have other cameras!