Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emissions could have fallen 30% without SUV's
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...end-report

The SUV hasn't helped, but the auto manufacturers have been upsizing us for a long time. Remember the Honda Civic ?  A little 1200cc 2 door hatch, now the Civic is a large 4 door with a 2 litre engine. Same with the Corolla. Utes used to be car sized, now they are huge...but dwarfed by the American pickups.  Upsize - it's what the public wanted...or did they talk us into it ?

Not me of course, I've never bought a new car.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
I own a SUV. A 2016 Suzuki Vitara that gets about 6.3L/100KM around town and 5.8L/100K on a trip. Whats wrong with that? Engines are so much more efficient than when that old Honda civic came out.

What do you drive Zurdo?
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
Apparently the sudden swing to oversized and under-achieving utes was caused by legislation in the US of A . This was emissions legislation BTW, and since legislation is done by politicians and lawyers assisted and guided by lobbyists owned by BIG car manufacturers, there are no surprises in what it achieves. Unlike computers, politician's results are summed up by "AIGO" : Anything In, Garbage Out.

Angry
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
I have a Honda Airwave, basically a Fit station wagon. Very handy for me, it can fit my pushbike in the back - flip out the front wheel, and tie it down...perfect. Got a towbar to tow a trailer if needed. Jap Import, so we talk km/l like the Japanese, which makes more sense to me, and easy at the pump - km divided by litres. Gauge normally shows 17.5 to 18.5, but last week when the gauge said 17.7 km/l, I worked it out at the pump at 20.5 km/l. That's 4.878 in your method.

Yes, cars are much more economical, they have been working on that aspect for 50 years or so, so to be expected. But if people were driving around in things like my little station wagon, which has more load space than their SUV, how much would the emissions have dropped. My wife has a Honda Stream, much larger than my Airwave, more MPV than SUV...but it has less load space than my Airwave.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(27-11-2023, 09:23 PM)Zurdo Wrote: I have a Honda Airwave, basically a Fit station wagon. Very handy for me, it can fit my pushbike in the back - flip out the front wheel, and tie it down...perfect. Got a towbar to tow a trailer if needed. Jap Import, so we talk km/l like the Japanese, which makes more sense to me, and easy at the pump - km divided by litres. Gauge normally shows 17.5 to 18.5, but last week when the gauge said 17.7 km/l, I worked it out at the pump at 20.5 km/l.  That's 4.878 in your method.

Yes, cars are much more economical, they have been working on that aspect for 50 years or so, so to be expected.  But if people were driving around in things like my little station wagon, which has more load space than their SUV, how much would the emissions have dropped. My wife has a Honda Stream, much larger than my Airwave, more MPV than SUV...but it has less load space than my Airwave.

That's pretty good economy. A friend of ours is driving to Queenstown and back to visit family over Christmas. He has a battered old 2008 Ford falcon V8. On what he said he gets at best, petrol will cost him $900 for the trip with 4 days driving. Then there is the cost of the ferry on top of that... Driving sure is getting expensive!
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
It will be interesting to see what effect on the national fleet the coming RUC changes will result in. The inclusion of EVs in the RUC system has long been expected but a change to distance based RUC levies for all road going vehicles will change the cost of ownership and in particular for those that pay their RUCs by way of a portion of the Fuel Excise Tax at the pumps currently. See page 6 of the coalition agreement for information on this.

The real question though is how genuine Luxon & co are in respect to ongoing support of renewable fuels and regenerative energy (e.g. funding public EV charging facilities). Will the expected removal of FET's RUC component be accompanied by a significant increase in carbon tax so as not to result in a benefit to high consumption cars? Time will tell I guess.
Yep the remuera tractors the mums just had to have to take the brats to school & do the shopping when a 4 door corrolla would do . i keeping up with the jonees . Will they now buy the likes of a BYD EV -- not bloody likely now the subsidy is ended be interesting to see effect on sales for first quarter next year .
(29-12-2023, 03:51 PM)joe 90 Wrote: Yep  the  remuera tractors the  mums just had to have to take the brats to  school  &  do the shopping  when  a    4  door  corrolla would do  .  i    keeping up with the jonees .  Will they  now buy      the likes of  a    BYD  EV      -- not  bloody likely      now the subsidy  is  ended    be interesting to see effect on sales  for  first quarter  next year  .
By all accounts the sales of EVs will be huge for December with people buying to beat the end of the CCD, and the sales of high emission vehicles will spike in the next few months as people have delayed purchasing for the same reason.

A few EV brands have already indicated that they will reduce prices after January 1st to stimulate sales in what is likely to be a very slow period otherwise. The other factor that is influencing EV & hybrid sales is the uncertainty around how the RUC changes will be implemented. One thing for sure is that we're in for a turbulent year economically and the coalition really need to start putting some certainty into their policies to allow people and businesses to know how best to organise their medium and longer term financial plans.
Everyone I talk to, admittedly poor and retired people says they have never had so little money, I believe we are already in a recession and moving into a depression.

Businessmen and Bankers conspired to generate the myth of a loss of value in money to discredit the Labour Party just before the election and then they arbitrarily decreased the value of money by about 10% to 15% by increasing the prices of goods by about the same amount.

This will automatically benefit the already well-heeled because they will get more money for doing less work and effectively providing a lower amount of goods for a given price thus increasing profits.

A small increase in the price of an E.V. is small change to people in business who work in hundreds of thousands not just thousands like this increase will be, they don't care about emissions at all. LOL.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
To those saying that humans have little to no effect on the climate of Earth in general, take a look at this:

As an aside here is a link to:

Elon Musk picked a fight with Nordic workers

https://twitter.com/pelledragsted/status...1459179680

And just in case anyone is interested:

World's Roundest Object!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMByI4s-D-Y

N.B. {This video is 11 years old and: If you are curious - there was a redefinition of SI units in 2019 and the kilogram is now defined by Plank constant} from the comments
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(30-12-2023, 08:52 AM)zqwerty Wrote: To those saying that humans have little to no effect on the climate of Earth in general, take a look at this:
No mention of all those methane producing wildebeests you keep reminding us of CT Rolleyes
Ireckon there is a lot of fat in EVpricing expect a drop after january sales figures come out .$60.000 for even the most basic EV is too much for many people . Me im just buying old falcons or holdens under $3000 & drive them until they clap out a get another as repairs are more than car is worth . Being retired ill never be able to afford an EV.
Being retired I see a lot of fat in just about everything in our capitalist economy. I look up houses I once bought, renovated, and onsold and am horrified by the inflated values. Especially when I get to see interior shots and see my own work untouched, lol...

The world has gone mad.
(30-12-2023, 11:12 AM)joe 90 Wrote: Ireckon there is a lot of fat  in EVpricing    expect  a  drop after january sales figures come out .$60.000  for even the most basic EV is too  much  for many    people  .  Me im just buying old  falcons or holdens        under    $3000 & drive them until they clap out a get another  as repairs  are more than car is worth  .  Being retired ill never be able to afford an EV.
The cheapest new EV currently available in New Zealand is the GWM Ora at $42,990. When you also consider that if driven 1,000km/month and charged at home (which is the case for most owners) the annual 'fuel' cost would be around $500 and being electric the maintenance costs will be next to nothing.

If you're looking at buying secondhand an older Nissan Leaf with around 100km battery range can be had for <$10,000. The cost of charging and maintaining one of these compared to an equivalent fossil fuel car would see it paying for itself in 3-4 years.

The prices of new EVs will continue to fall as new technologies and improvements in economies of scale are in play that will see new EVs being cheaper than equivalent fossil fueled cars within the next year or so. By the end of the decade EVs will become the norm with fossil fueled vehicles rapidly becoming expensive to own museum pieces.