Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Data on for texts
Can anyone explain to me why I only get certain txts when I trurn my data on?

I'm a numpty but even I know that SMS doesn't use data, so this has me buggered. They're not MMS either. 

I can't see any connection between those that need data and those that don't.

I've had 021, 022 and 027 come thru as per SOP, and the same only coming thru with data turned on, though different numbers.
seems to be a trend moving towards calling and messaging over data nowadays, presumable for the features

started with apple and imessages as an alternative to text messages, but there are also features in newer versions of Android that allow messaging (RCS iirc) and calling (WiFi Calling) over wifi/data

Whoever is sending it to you is using one of these features
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Vodafone for example...
https://one.nz/our-networks/wifi-calling/

Presumably Vodafone like it because it allows them to keep charging for the calling,while using your own data plan, but also reducing the resourcing required at their end to manage sms/calling

iPhone?  It's the difference between a blue (imessage) text and a green one.  Where imessage is data based and not sms.

I assume androids have similar.
(04-12-2023, 05:54 PM)king1 Wrote: seems to be a trend moving towards calling and messaging over data nowadays, presumable for the features

started with apple and imessages as an alternative to text messages, but there are also features in newer versions of Android that allow messaging (RCS iirc) and calling (WiFi Calling) over wifi/data

Whoever is sending it to you is using one of these features

hmmmm......maybe, but one of these people barely knows how to turn their phone on, let alone use more complex features than the base messaging.

(04-12-2023, 06:01 PM)psycik Wrote: iPhone?  It's the difference between a blue (imessage) text and a green one.  Where imessage is data based and not sms.

I assume androids have similar.

Samsung S21. Just started a few months ago, and now also the same on my new S23FE.

And to the best of my knowledge I'm just using the standard SMS feature that I've used since Adam was a cowboy.
was probably enabled by default

to turn RCS off
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Othe...t%20groups.

on mine it's labelled Turn on RCS Chats (i have it off)

(04-12-2023, 06:41 PM)king1 Wrote: was probably enabled by default

to turn RCS off
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Othe...t%20groups.

on mine it's labelled Turn on RCS Chats (i have it off)

Done. Will see what happens. Tks.