Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miserable bastards! Govt 90 day no fault eviction in use already.
Approximately 20 seconds after the present idiot govt passed their landlord-friendly 90 day no fault eviction, some heartless prickles gave their tenants notice. 
in the season of goodwill to all, you'd think they might have at least waited until after the Xmas/New Year period but apparently greed won't wait.

Dodgy

https://www.thepress.co.nz/a/nz-news/350...uff_skybox

[b]"Tenants of about 30 neighbouring Christchurch houses that were previously bought for a mall expansion that never happened have been given 90 days to move out.[/b]
The properties, on Marshland and Golf Links roads by The Palms mall in Shirley, have been sold as a single lot by Australian investment fund Dexus, which took them over from previous owner AMP Capital.

The houses were left unsold when AMP Capital sold the mall to another investor for $88.8 million last year.
The sale of the houses is now unconditional, and the tenants have been told they must leave by early March to provide vacant possession.

Dexus spokesman Luke O’Donnell confirmed the sale but said details, including the identity of the buyer and the price, remain confidential. [b]The land is zoned[/b][b] [/b]for redevelopment either as medium density housing or commercial use.

[b]Golf Links Rd resident Hamish McDougall is one of those who received an eviction notice last week.[/b]
McDougall, a retiree aged 68, said the property manager had kept them informed about the properties being up for sale, but they had hoped some would still be rented out.
[b]He said many in the neighbourhood were shocked, partly because of having to find a new home at this time of year.[/b]

“It’s bloody lovely, right on Christmas, and we’re going to lose a month because of Christmas.
“I’ve been here 23 years. They want everybody out - I can’t believe they’re going to knock them all down.”

McDougall said he has started looking for another rental, but it was difficult to find one that would take his 1-year-old terrier, Scout. He also has an adult son living with him, and needs storage space for his gardening tools and other belongings.

Another tenant, who did not want to be named, said the eviction notice coming right before Christmas was stressful for their family of seven, which includes two children with special needs.
[b]He said they were feeling anxious, and had been told there would be no extensions on compassionate grounds.[/b]

“For my family, we are faced with a potential rental increase of between 50% and 90% based on the limited properties available.”
The tenant also said they had been told they must have the carpets professionally cleaned before moving out.
“I understand reasonably clean and tidy, but it seems unfair and yet another cost burden on tenants, especially if the properties are to be demolished.”
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
There is a tenant in one of our villages who takes a great deal of pleasure in being obnoxious to his neighbours. He is really well informed on tenancy law and has a habit of making sure he only gets warning notices under the limit over each three month period - and crows about it. The childish 'you can't catch me' thing.

I bet our tenancy management team are rubbing their hands with glee right now, lol.
(12-12-2023, 02:55 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: There is a tenant in one of our villages who takes a great deal of pleasure in being obnoxious to his neighbours. He is really well informed on tenancy law and has a habit of making sure he only gets warning notices under the limit over each three month period - and crows about it. The childish 'you can't catch me'  thing.

I bet our tenancy management team are rubbing their hands with glee right now, lol.

I'm guessing he's not a National voter then..... Rolleyes Big Grin

Bet he goes a bit quiet.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Bet his neighbours are grinning...
Big GrinBig GrinOh_hunnihunniBet his neighbours are grinning...

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
owners right to require them to vacate te properies within 90 days . , obviously nothing personal probably wants to redevelop the area
Mmmm, and tenants who do not respect their homes should be evicted. But that is so easy to say from the safety of a warm, secure roof over our heads, don't you think?

The opportunity to live in such a home should be a human right, especially in a wealthy country like ours. If that opportunity is spurned or disrespected then by all means, evict. But just to make a profit? Or increase the rent? Maybe not..
(29-12-2023, 03:54 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Mmmm, and tenants who do not respect their homes should be evicted. But that is so easy to say from the safety of a warm, secure roof over our heads, don't you think?

The opportunity to live in such a home should be a human right, especially in a wealthy country like ours. If that opportunity is spurned or disrespected then by all means, evict. But just to make a profit? Or increase the rent? Maybe not..

Shelter is a basic human right; in a country which is properly civilised & where both people & govts have no lack of empathy, everyone would live in a house...
This relates to land being sold. Property owners have always been allowed to evict tenants when selling or doing major renovations - even under the changes made by Labour.

I agree the whole thing is unfortunate, but we have no idea what the circumstances of the sale are and it looks like ownership has been up in the air while going from investment fund to investment fund for a while so if the sale depended on that particular settlement date there's probably not much option for flexibility.

Very sad for those who will struggle but it's clear from the article that the tenants have known for some time that it was going to happen and that they have been living with cheap rent. Hopefully they will get the help they need to find good solutions.
(30-12-2023, 09:33 AM)SueDonim Wrote: This relates to land being sold. Property owners have always been allowed to evict tenants when selling or doing major renovations - even under the changes made by Labour.

I agree the whole thing is unfortunate, but we have no idea what the circumstances of the sale are and it looks like ownership has been up in the air while going from investment fund to investment fund for a while so if the sale depended on that particular settlement date there's probably not much option for flexibility.

Very sad for those who will struggle but it's clear from the article that the tenants have known for some time that it was going to happen and that they have been living with cheap rent. Hopefully they will get the help they need to find good solutions.

It isn't just 'very sad' for those who'll suffer - the possible effects of being made homeless can be dire. And long lasting for some.

And the property owners could at the very least, have had sufficient empathy & common decency to have waited till after xmas - y'know, the season of goodwill to all - had passed.

Our once far more equal society is becoming more & more Dickensian with every govt. Dodgy
(30-12-2023, 09:49 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: And the property owners could at the very least, have had sufficient empathy & common decency to have waited till after xmas - y'know, the season of goodwill to all - had passed.

So the seller is meant to let the sale fall over because they couldn't provide vacant possession? When the tenants have known for a very long time that the property was to be sold and it was unlikely that the tenancies would continue? Legally they have had 90 days notice. In every other way of looking at it they have had much longer notice already.
(30-12-2023, 12:34 PM)SueDonim Wrote:
(30-12-2023, 09:49 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: And the property owners could at the very least, have had sufficient empathy & common decency to have waited till after xmas - y'know, the season of goodwill to all - had passed.

So the seller is meant to let the sale fall over because they couldn't provide vacant possession? When the tenants have known for a very long time that the property was to be sold and it was unlikely that the tenancies would continue? Legally they have had 90 days notice. In every other way of looking at it they have had much longer notice already.

They could simply have pointed out that it is the season of goodwill (to all, including lowly tenants) & requested them to have a little understanding,& made it clear that the properties would still be available then. 

Most of us have a bit of decency so there's no reason they can't also manage it - it might even have done their reputation some good. Rolleyes