Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Guy explains baby boomers, their parents, and trauma.
What do you think of this explanation, seems about right to me:

https://old.reddit.com/r/TikTokCringe/co...nd_trauma/
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
it's an attractive theory because so simple, but let down by his assumptions that all "boomers" (how I loathe that term) are exactly the same, and that all of their parents endured the same traumas.   Growing up in the fifties and sixties in Aotearoa or Australia would not have been the same as the equivalent in Europe or the US.   He's also ignoring the class system that was significant then (still is in UK, not so much in Australasia these days)
I didn't watch it all...all I have is my own experience. My parents were born before the depression, and lived through the war - Dad served in the Royal Navy, right at the end of it. The "social conformity" of the 50s and 60s was just how things were - we didn't know we might be deprived of anything. My parents were careful with money - there wasn't much to go round, but they weren't miserly. In the 1950s, living in suburban Dunedin, questions of racism or sexual orientation were never considered - what were they?

There's a lot of bullshit spouted about boomers, and any other named generation you can think of.
I do have other cameras!
The guys accent tells me all about his perception of his world.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(13-12-2023, 02:30 PM)Praktica Wrote: I didn't watch it all...all I have is my own experience. My parents were born before the depression, and lived through the war - Dad served in the Royal Navy, right at the end of it. The "social conformity" of the 50s and 60s was just how things were - we didn't know we might be deprived of anything. My parents were careful with money - there wasn't much to go round, but they weren't miserly. In the 1950s, living in suburban Dunedin, questions of racism or sexual orientation were never considered - what were they?

There's a lot of bullshit spouted about boomers, and any other named generation you can think of.

Much the same for me, in central Auckland.   My parents each left school at 14, we were always just getting by with money and my mother got a part time job to pay for my piano lessons.   It was the way almost everyone we knew lived; no complaints from me as I learnt at an early age how to be frugal and to set spending priorities.   The downside was that my parents had little education, and their horizons and finances were so limited that neither of them  ever set foot outside of the  North island.   

As for racism and homophobia - absolutely everyone I knew until I was at high school was casually racist and homophobic.  My father used expressions like "hori" and "poofter".   I rebelled against everything my parents stood for, including their ignorant bigotry, and I'm eternally grateful for Bob Dylan and the American Civil Rights movement for giving me ethics and moral courage.
There's some truth to that but mostly it applies more to American than it does here. And the claim that boomers 'hate young people' is completely wrong, most of us have grandkids.
My parents had been through the depression & WW2; they had a strong sense of fairness & the old 'waste not, want not' frugal attitude which they'd been given by their parents.

Neither of those are bad things, in fact the entire world could do with more of both. The 60's gave the entire world a far better sense of the wrongness of racism & even a bit later,misogyny, women's rights, human rights developed as a result.

Incidentally, if anyone wants an idea of how it was in the UK during the depression & later, how Neo LIberalism destroyed many of the better alternatives set up after WW2, Harry's last stand is an excellent read. He wrote it shortly before his death at age 91.
Interesting that the UK set up their National Health System while they were still deeply in debt after WW2, but decided it was of such vital importance that it had to be done regardless.
And now the Neo Liberals have virtually destroyed it'

I think every bastard politician should be obliged to read this & a few other books.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/j...ara-review
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
My Dad's childhood in Edinburgh during the War followed by his young adulthood in the British Army, and then service for NZ in Korea left him with considerable life scars, most of which convinced him life here was set in a paradise he was blessed to enjoy. And he raised us to understand how lucky we were, and are. Maybe that is the difference between us boomers and the generations we birthed and then grandparented, we forgot to instill that sense of gratitude.

Instead we gave them rights and entitlements. Hard to blame them for exercising them.