Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nicola Willis on Kiwirail Ferries
Quote:“It’s my responsibility to realise that every dollar we spend is a dollar that can’t be spent on hospitals, on schools, on the roads that need replacing across the country.”

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/finance-mi...JOKD5H6CI/

Such a considered position to take - seems to have inadvertently left out tax cuts for the wealthy...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(14-12-2023, 11:04 AM)king1 Wrote:
Quote:“It’s my responsibility to realise that every dollar we spend is a dollar that can’t be spent on hospitals, on schools, on the roads that need replacing across the country.”

Such a considered position to take - seems to have inadvertently left out tax cuts for the wealthy...
Also oblivious that the Cook Strait ferry is a defacto part of our highway system (i.e. SH 1)
Those boats have plagued us with problems from the start.
Remember the time the prop fell off? I think that boat had serious modifications made to it, namely lengthening it not to mention other things.
(14-12-2023, 12:13 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Those boats have plagued us with problems from the start.
Remember the time the prop fell off? I think that boat had serious modifications made to it, namely lengthening it not to mention other things.
A case of getting what you pay for, and Willis is suggesting KiwiRail continue the same strategy.
Well, let's face it, with their Get Smoking Campaign we are going to need more hospitals...
Seems a little hypocritical that last time National ran the country they gave the go ahead for trucks to increase to 50+tonnes yet they are critical of KiwiRail upsizing their vessels to also enable increased loads including RORO trains.

It wouldn't have anything to do with the their links to the Road Transport Association, surely Rolleyes
You cannot expect common sense from politicians.
(14-12-2023, 11:04 AM)king1 Wrote:

Just an oversight, surely.... Rolleyes

(14-12-2023, 02:24 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(14-12-2023, 11:04 AM)king1 Wrote: Such a considered position to take - seems to have inadvertently left out tax cuts for the wealthy...

Just an oversight, surely.... Rolleyes

Ah well,some enterprising soul intent on profit will no doubt start rental rowboats for hire to get across the strait.

For those in straitened circumstances.....

Sorry. Big Grin Big Grin Rolleyes

But it does seem that while those who are reasonably well off won't have a problem with this since they can fly, those who aren't are those who will have problems thanks to this.
Just as they'll also be the ones to suffer by the removal of the Fair pay agreement.
And the changes to the smokefree legislation.

Anyone might thnik this govt don't like anyone who isn't wealthy.... Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(14-12-2023, 12:42 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(14-12-2023, 12:13 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Those boats have plagued us with problems from the start.
A case of getting what you pay for, and Willis is suggesting KiwiRail continue the same strategy.
Yeah, it's probably worthwhile cutting our losses and starting over.
I think the big issue with the proposed ferries is the extra costs in upgrading the wharf to something much bigger.
Not sure if we need larger ships or not, but we need some decent new ships that are not going to be a money pit..
We can't keep on using this crap for much longer.
Interesting I heard Grant Robertson on Newstalk yesterday and Audrey Young is also reporting the fact this morning - the previous government knocked KiwiRail back a month before the election because of the cost blow out - so Willis had no option but to sink the plan just as the previous government did -
So they are breaking their promise already remember the advertisement "Christopher Luxon and National will get our country back on track " That meant more rail and less trucks didn't it?
(15-12-2023, 11:02 AM)alpha111 Wrote: So they are breaking their promise already remember the advertisement "Christopher Luxon and National will get our country back on track " That meant more rail and less trucks didn't it?
Perhaps the Road Transport lobby came knocking requesting a return on their electioneering donations Rolleyes
Whenever you get management types tinkering with the workings of any system you often get disaster, they should stick to pointing in the direction they want the ship to go and leave the rest up to the workers who know the pitfalls.

Management always think they know more than they actually do about running complex systems in the real world.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Now the Government is going to do an ''independent'' revue of the ferry system. That means CONSULTANTS ! They come at 7 figures for sure.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(22-12-2023, 05:52 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Now the Government is going to do an ''independent'' revue of the ferry system. That means CONSULTANTS !  They come at 7 figures for sure.

They probably charge by the hour; with luck, they should be finished within sight of the next election.... Rolleyes   Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(15-12-2023, 11:02 AM)alpha111 Wrote: So they are breaking their promise already remember the advertisement "Christopher Luxon and National will get our country back on track " That meant more rail and less trucks didn't it?

Did you know several of the big  long haul  truck cos actually use  rail as well  Mainfrieght even have a siding in  some places & built their new central  depot next to  the Levin  marshaling yard  .
At least we dont have the unions calling widcat strikes with no notice especially in holidays anymore igot stranded in Picton after one union reckoned the staff food wasnt hot enough . luckily they went back to work next day .
Ah, I loved a strike - down to the pub for the day !
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(31-12-2023, 05:17 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Ah, I loved a strike - down to the pub for the day !

Careful - you'll wear out that paddle... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin