Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Short sighted govt
They've pulled back on developing walkways & cycleways - idiocy in these times. It seems they're not bothered about the effect on their & our children, grandchildren & their descendants.
We - & every other country in the world - desperately need politicians with the ability to take a long term view, preferably before the planet is completely stuffed.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/504...initatives

"The new government's Transport Minister has pulled the brakes on dozens of council projects designed to encourage cycling, walking and use of public transport across the country, sparking confusion in local authority ranks and fury amongst cycling advocates.
In a letter to local authorities Simeon Brown said he told the New Zealand Transport Authority (Waka Kotahi) to halt work on cycling and walking initiatives.
"I understand that some local authorities have been developing programmes with NZTA and other stakeholders to reduce vehicle kilometres travelled (VKT) by the light vehicle fleet, using funding from the Climate Emergency Response Fund.

"I have given notice to NZTA to end its work on these programmes, and to not commit any further funding to local authorities (beyond existing contractual obligations) to develop these programmes. Thank you for your understanding as we work through these changes."

VKT programmes are designed to reduce reliance on cars, and support people to walk, cycle and use public transport.

Brown was not available for an interview, but in a statement said the cycling and walking initiatives were a waste of time and money."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Another blow to the health of New Zealanders...with smoking and now exercise being part of their plans, they will need more money put into the health sector. Funny, but it was John Key who started on the cycleways as part of the GFC recovery. I got back on a bike this time last year, and am really enjoying finding cycleways to ride on...and there are heaps of people using them.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(16-12-2023, 09:02 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Another blow to the health of New Zealanders...with smoking and now exercise being part of their plans, they will need more money put into the health sector. Funny, but it was John Key who started on the cycleways as part of the GFC recovery.  I got back on a bike this time last year, and am really enjoying finding cycleways to ride on...and there are heaps of people using them.
As our health system gradually moves towards being a privately owned one unhealthy people can be seen as a business opportunity Sad
(17-12-2023, 08:43 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(16-12-2023, 09:02 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Another blow to the health of New Zealanders...with smoking and now exercise being part of their plans, they will need more money put into the health sector. Funny, but it was John Key who started on the cycleways as part of the GFC recovery.  I got back on a bike this time last year, and am really enjoying finding cycleways to ride on...and there are heaps of people using them.
As our health system gradually moves towards being a privately owned one unhealthy people can be seen as a business opportunity Sad

Ooooh - how fabulous, we'll be just like America, with wealthy people only able to acess healthcare.  Dodgy
It has the ring of 'thin edge of the wedge' about it.

That's actually bloody scary - I hadn't thought this lot would show their true colours so soon & so blatantly.
They may need to think again if we have more covid outbreaks or anything similar because if poor people are deliberatley excluded (as seems to be their intention, regardless of whatever fine words they try to disguise this with) then they'll be the most likely to spread whatever disease it is everywhere...
Perhaps they might even take a sightseeing trip to the beehive...with any sort of luck... Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I like the idea of smaller surgical units though. I had my hip op in our elective surgery unit, which has small theatres and four bed wards, a dedicated space adjacent but separate from the main hospital. Much better experience and faster than the previous op in the main hospital with all its miles of corridors between departments...
(17-12-2023, 11:27 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I like the idea of smaller surgical units though. I had my hip op in our elective surgery unit, which has small theatres and four bed wards, a dedicated space adjacent but separate from the main hospital. Much better experience and faster than the previous op in the main hospital with all its miles of corridors between departments...

There have to be  some few specks of gold among the utter shite.... Rolleyes Big Grin

Cycling is more dangerous isn't it? Will be interesting to see if there is a trend between cycling accidents and the uptake of cycle ways.
They will easily get congested leading to more accidents too if their use increases.

(17-12-2023, 08:43 AM)harm_less Wrote:

Your right on the mark, and we are seeing a ton of unhealthy people after the covid jab, people are thick if they think that will save them.
I know several people that have had massive health issues as a result of the vaccine.
And I know a few who are young healthy people who are catching covid heaps and getting real sick with it and have  "only" had six boosters.
Meanwhile I've only caught covid the once, unvaxxed and have natural immunity, ive been in close contact with covid several times and have not caught it again to my surprise.

And now with all that leaked data that the good whistle-blower released to the public, we can see the extent of how corrupt the whole thing is.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(26-12-2023, 09:45 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:

Cycling is more dangerous isn't it? Will be interesting to see if there is a trend between cycling accidents and the uptake of cycle ways.
They will easily get congested leading to more accidents too if their use increases.

(17-12-2023, 08:43 AM)harm_less Wrote: As our health system gradually moves towards being a privately owned one unhealthy people can be seen as a business opportunity Sad

Your right on the mark, and we are seeing a ton of unhealthy people after the covid jab, people are thick if they think that will save them.
I know several people that have had massive health issues as a result of the vaccine.
And I know a few who are young healthy people who are catching covid heaps and getting real sick with it and have  "only" had six boosters.
Meanwhile I've only caught covid the once, unvaxxed and have natural immunity, ive been in close contact with covid several times and have not caught it again to my surprise.

And now with all that leaked data that the good whistle-blower released to the public, we can see the extent of how corrupt the whole thing is.

IF any of our politicians had a healthy social conscience, was capable of looking further ahead than their term in govt & genuinely had the well being of all those they allegedly serve foremost, then we would have a properly funded & organised health service. The sort where everyone is able to access medical treatment when needed, rather than it only being available to those whop are well off enough to afford private medical care.

But we haven't so far managed that, & this particular govt appears more interested in the well being of their well off donors than anything else. 

Money can be made from sick people (never mind the quality of treatment) & from education (never mind the quality of learning) & from all sorts of other things - which is clearly all that matters to this lot.  Dodgy
(26-12-2023, 10:32 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(26-12-2023, 09:45 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Cycling is more dangerous isn't it? Will be interesting to see if there is a trend between cycling accidents and the uptake of cycle ways.

IF any of our politicians had a healthy social conscience, was capable of looking further ahead than their term in govt & genuinely had the well being of all those they allegedly serve foremost, then we would have a properly funded & organised health service. The sort where everyone is able to access medical treatment when needed, rather than it only being available to those whop are well off enough to afford private medical care.

But we haven't so far managed that, & this particular govt appears more interested in the well being of their well off donors than anything else. 

Money can be made from sick people (never mind the quality of treatment) & from education (never mind the quality of learning) & from all sorts of other things - which is clearly all that matters to this lot.  Dodgy
1.2 billion dollars was wasted on 3 waters alone.
Not to mention the billions wasted on covid, imagine what the money could have done if invested into the health system?
Labour spent billions post covid too with nothing to show for it either.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(26-12-2023, 11:24 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(26-12-2023, 10:32 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: IF any of our politicians had a healthy social conscience, was capable of looking further ahead than their term in govt & genuinely had the well being of all those they allegedly serve foremost, then we would have a properly funded & organised health service. The sort where everyone is able to access medical treatment when needed, rather than it only being available to those whop are well off enough to afford private medical care.

1.2 billion dollars was wasted on 3 waters alone.
Not to mention the billions wasted on covid, imagine what the money could have done if invested into the health system?

I doubt that there's been a govt yet which didn't manage to waste money in various ways.

Compared to other countries we did extremely well during covid. Althoug naturally CTer's won't admit that.
(26-12-2023, 02:14 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(26-12-2023, 11:24 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: 1.2 billion dollars was wasted on 3 waters alone.

I doubt that there's been a govt yet which didn't manage to waste money in various ways.

Compared to other countries we did extremely well during covid. Althoug naturally CTer's won't admit that.
Too true. With central goverment debt at just under 53% of GDP we're doing a lot better than many countries.
https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/...PN/GBR/USA
I wonder, if, when climate change really takes hold, who cters will blame then?
(26-12-2023, 05:20 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I wonder, if, when climate change really takes hold, who cters will blame then?

They generally don't make a great deal of sense, so I'm reasonably sure it won't be big oil.... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
This piece from John Campbell sums things up fairly concisely: https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/12/30/john-...thing-old/
(30-12-2023, 09:27 AM)harm_less Wrote: This piece from John Campbell sums things up fairly concisely: https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/12/30/john-...thing-old/

Oh, he's definitely got their number, brilliantly summed up!

We're idiots...
Never a problem when we were kids wed cycle 20 40 kms from home on the roads SH ways . or walk so not having dedicated walk /cycleways is just a cop out for the lazy . We all walked or cycled to scholl no remuera tractor t & were a lot healthier . didnt need walkways or cycle ways , rivers have walking space beside them just get out there Dont need govt to hold your hand
(30-12-2023, 10:45 AM)joe 90 Wrote: Never  a problem when we were kids wed  cycle  20  40 kms  from home  on the roads  SH ways .  or walk so  not having dedicated walk  /cycleways is just a cop out for the lazy    .      We all walked  or cycled to scholl no remuera tractor t & were a lot healthier  . didnt need walkways or cycle ways    ,  rivers have walking  space  beside them  just get out  there    Dont need govt to hold your hand

there are probably four or five times as many cars on the road these days, it's not about hand holding, it is simply about keeping cyclists and pedestrians safe...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(30-12-2023, 11:47 AM)king1 Wrote:
(30-12-2023, 10:45 AM)joe 90 Wrote: Never  a problem when we were kids wed  cycle  20  40 kms  from home  on the roads  SH ways .  or walk so  not having dedicated walk  /cycleways is just a cop out for the lazy    .      We all walked  or cycled to scholl no remuera tractor t & were a lot healthier  . didnt need walkways or cycle ways    ,  rivers have walking  space  beside them  just get out  there    Dont need govt to hold your hand

there are probably four or five times as many cars on the road these days, it's not about hand holding, it is simply about keeping cyclists and pedestrians safe...
Also the risk averse attitude that has become the norm now and law makers and city planners are forced to design public amenities and activities with retaliatory liability top of mind.

Considering the number of injuries that EDs see resulting from the likes of DIYers falling off ladders and roofs to avoid the cost of tradesmen who must use scaffolding and fall protection and you've got to wonder where we're heading as Seymour moves to abolish 'unnecessary' regulations.
Yes, I rode everywhere when I was a kid, never ever a problem. Still on a bike, but I don't ride on roads if I don't have to, even quiet ones are far more dangerous than when we were kids...I ride on cycleways, and love it. What's different ? The drivers for sure. Riding motorcycles everyday in the '70's and '80's, we lanesplit, passed everywhere - and the cars pulled over to allow us through. Nearly every car driver back then had started on a motorcycle, they saw you lane splitting and made room, these days the selfish drivers move over to block you. Same with cyclists, they actively make it hard. Of course there are those dickhead cyclists riding in groups, dunno what's going on there, they instantly turn into fuckwits.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society

Cobblers.

Just as we have safety precautions such as those things called speed limits & those other things called road rules, so it makes just as much sense to have rules & safety precautions around bikes.

Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin