Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keyboard letters give different outputs
Personally I think its PEBKAC but this person never has had any issues before.
I thought that the keyboard layout may have been messed up, but everything checks out.
To top it off they asked me to replace the laptop as they wanted to upgrade it regardless. 
And the new laptop is doing the same thing (for the user)
I've looked at it and can't see anything wrong.
Still don't know what apps the user experienced this issue with, but all I transferred over from the old computer was some documents and photos and reinstalled office 365.
Seems pretty coincidental to me that 2 separate computers would do the same thing.
Apparently pressing a full stop gives the letter y and rebooting fixed it.

Interested to hear if anyone else has heard of something similar.
Either way, I can't fix something that I've been so far unable to replicate!
just the usual eng/uk @/" thing is all I see. Once i had a chap who couldn't log in saying password was wrong, but that ended up being he had left the PC with a french KB language on iirc.

I would say in your case, once is a glitch, and if it happens again tell him to bring the laptop back without turning off or rebooting, at least then you can check the settings while it is faulting...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I had a similar thing going on as I discussed here. I've just realised that I haven't had this happen for a couple of weeks now so perhaps Firefox update or something else has remedied it. The last few times I had it happen I found that ust clicking on a cell in an Excel document I had running was enough to 'reboot' enough for the random keyboard values to correct themselves when I resumed typing.
(18-12-2023, 07:35 PM)king1 Wrote: just the usual eng/uk  @/"  thing is all I see.  Once i had a chap who couldn't log in saying password was wrong, but that ended up being he had left the PC with a french KB language on iirc.

I would say in your case, once is a glitch, and if it happens again tell him to bring the laptop back without turning  off or rebooting, at least then you can check the settings while it is faulting...

I dont think it has anything to do with keyboard language, its just set to NZ/US international keyboard.
Seems to be random every time too, I dont think there is any keyboard layout out there that switches Y and . is there?

(18-12-2023, 08:05 PM)harm_less Wrote: I had a similar thing going on as I discussed here. I've just realised that I haven't had this happen for a couple of weeks now so perhaps Firefox update or something else has remedied it. The last few times I had it happen I found that ust clicking on a cell in an Excel document I had running was enough to 'reboot' enough for the random keyboard values to correct themselves when I resumed typing.

Interesting, I will take a look at this, im pretty sure this person is not using firefox however.
Perhaps it has something to do with excel, will need to play around and see if i can get it to replicate.
(19-12-2023, 10:01 AM)nzoomed Wrote:
(18-12-2023, 08:05 PM)harm_less Wrote: I had a similar thing going on as I discussed here. I've just realised that I haven't had this happen for a couple of weeks now so perhaps Firefox update or something else has remedied it. The last few times I had it happen I found that ust clicking on a cell in an Excel document I had running was enough to 'reboot' enough for the random keyboard values to correct themselves when I resumed typing.

Interesting, I will take a look at this, im pretty sure this person is not using firefox however.
Perhaps it has something to do with excel, will need to play around and see if i can get it to replicate.
One detail I'm unsure of is whether the problem was happening when inputting into Word doc's, as only remember it when typing into online content.
The one certain thing though is that an action into an Excel doc 'cured' the problem temporarily.
Just glad that whatever was causing it now seems to have resolved itself.
(19-12-2023, 10:54 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(19-12-2023, 10:01 AM)nzoomed Wrote: Interesting, I will take a look at this, im pretty sure this person is not using firefox however.
One detail I'm unsure of is whether the problem was happening when inputting into Word doc's, as only remember it when typing into online content.
The one certain thing though is that an action into an Excel doc 'cured' the problem temporarily.

What i can say is both computers were running windows 11, seemed to be giving the issue when writing emails too (mozilla thunderbird) I wont get a chance to look at it into the new year.
But I suspect it could be some sort of software bug.
(19-12-2023, 03:25 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(19-12-2023, 10:54 AM)harm_less Wrote: One detail I'm unsure of is whether the problem was happening when inputting into Word doc's, as only remember it when typing into online content.

What i can say is both computers were running windows 11, seemed to be giving the issue when writing emails too (mozilla thunderbird) I wont get a chance to look at it into the new year.
But I suspect it could be some sort of software bug.
FWIW I'm running W10 Pro, Firefox and Thunderbird, on a Dell Inspiron15 7000.
The comment "Seems pretty coincidental to me that 2 separate computers would do the same thing."

This is an interesting "bug"
Something to possibly look into.

What programs are installed, ALL programs, all extensions etc. ??? EVERYTHING

It has to be something that's not common other wise it would be all over various places ??

If the computers are Name branded, there maybe some sort of clash, Last resort - Do a complete reinstall from fresh ( NOT a recovery Image) and slowly add programs back to see if it happens again.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
(19-12-2023, 09:00 PM)Wainuitech Wrote: The comment "Seems pretty coincidental to me that 2 separate computers would do the same thing."

This is an interesting "bug"
Something to possibly look into.

What programs are installed, ALL programs, all extensions etc. ???  EVERYTHING

It has to be something that's not common other wise it would be all over various places ??

If the computers are Name branded, there maybe some sort of clash, Last resort - Do a complete reinstall from fresh ( NOT a recovery Image) and slowly add programs back to see if it happens again.

Literally chrome with ublock origin, office 365 and thunderbird, thats it.
First model was a lenovo, and the new one is a brand new HP probook.
There was a USB dongle for the mouse which I disconnected, as that was used on the old laptop, still was doing it with the dongle removed.
One thing in common with both laptops is that they are running ryzen processors.
clutching at straws but, are/were they both signed in with a MS account maybe? perhaps it is syncing some weird/obscure setting...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(20-12-2023, 12:21 PM)king1 Wrote: clutching at straws but, are/were they both signed in with a MS account maybe? perhaps it is syncing some weird/obscure setting...

Definitely not signed into Microsoft.
Only thing linked to a Microsoft account is office 365.
Process of Elimation maybe ?

I'd be leaving out Thunderbird ( don't need it if you have office 365) and not ublock either.

I'd go back to a fresh install, install Office, and thats all.

Check all reginal settings, as the keyboard on its own is sometimes not enough.

"IF" its still plays up then it has to be something the operator is doing. I've installed hundreds if not thousands of windows installs and only time the keys differ like described is either reginal /KB settings wrong OR a faulty keyboard, which I doubt if two different computers are doing the same thing.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.