Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New antibiotics developed with AI
This is a big deal, not only can the deep learning models study their effectiveness, but also the toxicity in humans.
MRSA is pretty serious and becoming prevalent in hospitals. This could be a gamechanger in drug development.
https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/12/20...s-using-ai
That's interesting, & just when antibiotics appear to be losing their effectiveness.

This could eventually lead to all kinds of outcomes or humanity - if we can manage to have the sense to use the results wisely, & for everyone.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
The US is prohibilting the sale of meds for aquarium fish. Seems some really dumb arse humans have been taking them to cure their own minor illnesses, and contributing to that antibiotic resistance...
(27-12-2023, 03:33 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: The US is prohibilting the sale of meds for aquarium fish. Seems some really dumb arse humans have been taking them to cure their own minor illnesses, and contributing to that antibiotic resistance...

There really is no limit to human stupidity...
Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I'm hoping it will pave the way for newer types that can not only target bad bacteria, but not harm your good gut bacteria.
Even better is if they can design one that uses multiple mechanisms of action to reduce the chances of drug resistance.
It will be interesting how this pans out. Apparently the pharmaceutical companies aren't prioritising antibiotic development because the returns are much lower than for other drugs such as for cancer, alzheimers and inflammatory conditions. Antibiotics also present a reducing return on development costs due to resistance occurring so quickly.
(28-12-2023, 08:46 AM)harm_less Wrote: It will be interesting how this pans out. Apparently the pharmaceutical companies aren't prioritising antibiotic development because the returns are much lower than for other drugs such as for cancer, alzheimers and inflammatory conditions. Antibiotics also present a reducing return on development costs due to resistance occurring so quickly.

Greed takes precedence - yet again. Dodgy
(28-12-2023, 10:29 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(28-12-2023, 08:46 AM)harm_less Wrote: It will be interesting how this pans out. Apparently the pharmaceutical companies aren't prioritising antibiotic development because the returns are much lower than for other drugs such as for cancer, alzheimers and inflammatory conditions. Antibiotics also present a reducing return on development costs due to resistance occurring so quickly.

Greed takes precedence - yet again. Dodgy
Or basic business sense in not developing a product whose useful life is so short as to prevent it breaking even before it is redundant.
Hedge witchery is a useful field of study.
(28-12-2023, 02:46 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Hedge witchery is a useful field of study.
My partner has plenty of those skills. Qualified integrative nutritionist with reasonable knowledge of homeobotanicals, herbalism and general naturopathy.

Our environment is our medicine chest.
Exactly!

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/tur...1703620904