Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Israel to pull out thousands of troops from Gaza
Finally. Shame on their brutal govt for not doing so sooner & shame on Hamas for starting this most recent war.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/1/1/...-from-gaza

"The Israeli military has announced that it will withdraw thousands of its soldiers from the besieged Gaza Strip in the first significant pullback of troops since the war there began in October.
Israel has come under increasing pressure from its principal ally, the United States, to move to a more low-intensity war that has fewer civilian casualties.

But in the southern city of Khan Younis, fierce fighting has continued as Israel reaffirms its pledge to press on with the war until its goals have been achieved, including destroying the Palestinian group Hamas, which killed around 1,140 people in attacks on southern Israel on October 7, according to Israeli officials.
In a statement, the military said on Monday that five brigades, or several thousand troops, were being taken out of the enclave for training and rest.
Army spokesperson Daniel Hagari did not say whether the decision meant the war was entering into a new phase during a briefing on Sunday that first announced the troop withdrawal."

Perhaps this might encourage the Israeli govt to consider ceasing altogether.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/...te=2592247

"Israel will appear at International Court of Justice: Israeli media
Israel “will not boycott” proceedings launched by South Africa at the International Court of Justice (ICJ), Israel’s National Security Adviser Tzachi Hanegbi has said, the Israeli news site Ynet is reporting.
Israel is “a long-standing signatory to the Genocide Convention”, Hanegbi told Ynet. “We will participate and refute the absurd accusation that amounts to blood libel,” he added.
The Jewish people have experienced genocide more profoundly than any other nation,” Hanegbi told Ynet, “with six million of our people brutally slaughtered”.
Hanegbi described the events of October 7 as a “similar cruelty”, adding that “this time we have the capability to defend ourselves against those seeking our destruction,” Ynet reported.
On Friday, South Africa filed a case at the ICJ accusing Israel of crimes of genocide against Palestinians in Gaza."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Wouldn't be at all  surprised if they were going to carpet bomb the area or do something to eliminate life. I just can't understand how a people who suffered so much in WW2 has no compassion for other human beings.
(02-01-2024, 05:38 PM)snacks Wrote: Wouldn't be at all  surprised if they were going to carpet bomb the area or do something to eliminate life. I just can't understand how a people who suffered so much in WW2 has no compassion for other human beings.

It wouldn't surprise me either, sadly. Its all quite similar to what the Nazis did to Jewish people in the Warsaw ghetto during WW2.

If they could rid themselves of their right wing govt, Israel would perhaps have a better chance for long lasting peace.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
There will be no peace as long as Hamas exists.

Israel must annihilate Hamas and probably Hezbollah and then there will be peace for about 20 years until a new resistance group builds up and so on as it has been in the past so it will continue in the future.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(02-01-2024, 09:48 PM)zqwerty Wrote: There will be no peace as long as Hamas exists.

Israel must annihilate Hamas and probably Hezbollah and then there will be peace for about 20 years until a new resistance group builds up and so on as it has been in the past so it will continue in the future.

Then they need to find another, better way. There are peace groups made up of both Israelis & Palestinians; perhaps if the idiot boy politicians & Hamas leaders had a bit more sense, they'd step aside & allow them free rein to bring about a lasting peace; if that's possible.
It's worth a try, at the very least.
By focusing on and blaming a purported enemy for all ills one escapes from actual reality of having to think and observe your position in the Universe, the gangs here in NZ do a similar thing, it is a way of avoiding reality and seeing life for what it is.

These tribal people have been fighting over Palestine for thousands of years, it's in their blood, I don't think anyone or anything will stop it happening.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(03-01-2024, 11:07 AM)zqwerty Wrote: By focusing on and blaming a purported enemy for all ills one escapes from actual reality of having to think and observe your position in the Universe, the gangs here in NZ do a similar thing, it is a way of avoiding reality and seeing life for what it is.

These tribal people have been fighting over Palestine for thousands of years, it's in their blood, I don't think anyone or anything will stop it happening.

You may well be right, but peace is worth trying to achieve & its also possible that its more likely to happen in these,or future times because humans tend to know more about our world & humanity in general than was the case in previous centuries.
Widespread good quality education (including teaching empathy)  may be the best hope of all for future peace there. Smile