Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things you don't hear so much anymore
I was thinking about these earlier & managed to remember some, add some if you think of any. Smile

I'll be there in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

He's just the bees knees.

He thinks he's just the cat's pyjamas.

She's a box of birds.

When our ship/boat comes in.

More of those chem trails today. Rolleyes

In like Flynn.

She's a Bobby dazzler.

As full as a bull/boot/the family po.

I'm full of beans.

His nibs.

I'll be there in a tick/two ticks.

She's/he's as fit as a fiddle.

So & so said.

A sky as black as the ace of spades/your hat.

He's as cool as a cucumber.

Feeling a bit browned off.

I'm as free from money as a frog is from feathers. (My Gran) Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Well you haven't put the cat among the pigeons, Agatha Christie did that.
Mum used to tell me to ''Rattle ya daggs !'' She also used to say I was ''Away with the Fairies.''
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
A stamped self addressed envelope...
(11-01-2024, 03:00 PM)alpha111 Wrote: Well you haven't put the cat among the pigeons, Agatha Christie did that.

Yes, haven't heard that one for ages. Smile

(11-01-2024, 05:07 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Mum used to tell me to ''Rattle ya daggs !''  She also used to say I was ''Away with the Fairies.''

I used to get that 'away with the fairies' all the time! Rolleyes Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
There's an expression that my father used which I've never tracked down.  "Fonged", meaning obviously drunk, or "a bit fonged", meaning showing the effects of alcohol but not incapable.

Has anyone run across this?   My father was born in Petone, Aotearoa, but his parents were Scottish and English.
(11-01-2024, 06:39 PM)Olive Wrote: There's an expression that my father used which I've never tracked down.  "Fonged", meaning obviously drunk, or "a bit fonged", meaning showing the effects of alcohol but not incapable.

Has anyone run across this?   My father was born in Petone, Aotearoa, but his parents were Scottish and English.

Yep, my parents used to say that sometimes too. And another was 'pie eyed' or 'three sheets to the wind' for being drunk - another was 'drunk as forty cats.'

Another one for having just managed something was 'by the skin of your teeth.'
(12-01-2024, 10:34 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(11-01-2024, 06:39 PM)Olive Wrote: There's an expression that my father used which I've never tracked down.  "Fonged", meaning obviously drunk, or "a bit fonged", meaning showing the effects of alcohol but not incapable.

Yep, my parents used to say that sometimes too. And another was 'pie eyed' or 'three sheets to the wind' for being drunk - another was 'drunk as forty cats.'

Another one for having just managed something was 'by the skin of your teeth.'
Pissed as a parrot

Sober as a judge

Sweating like a rapist

Not here to shag spiders

Off like a herd of turtles (maybe that was just in tramping circles)

Hang up the phone

Collect call

Bullshit artist (liar)
Intelligent design; haven't heard that one for ages. I also heard some plonker say 'praise the lord' the other day, first time I've heard that for years.
'A pig in a poke' - buying something without seeing/checking it first.

'Gone west' vanished, disappeared.
As thick as two short planks.
Crocodile tears.
White elephant.
Paint the town red.
Up shit creek without a paddle.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
In my area it was As thick as pig shit....and twice as runny.

Goes like a rocket.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Mad as a meat axe.
Two bob short of a pound.
He's quids in to win.
This too will pass.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
The cheque's in the mail Rolleyes
...wrong side of the blanket...
Knee high to a grasshopper.
Black as the ace of spades.
Black as your hat.
It's all double Dutch.
He's/she's not the full quid.
She's/he's two sandwiches short of a picnic.
Living in sin