Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Golriz Gahraman allegedly attempted shoplifting
It seems extremely unlikely but then with politicians you never know. I hope they can get to the truth before too much damage to the reputations of both the Green party & the MP.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/506...ing-claims

"Police have confirmed they received a report about a Ponsonby store from two days before Christmas, after a Green MP stood aside from portfolios over accusations of shoplifting.

The Green Party on Wednesday confirmed MP Golriz Ghahraman had stood down from her portfolios, after being accused of shoplifting from upmarket clothing store Scottie's Boutique in Ponsonby.

A police spokesperson confirmed an incident was believed to have taken place on the 23rd. Police clarified they received the report on the same day. They said they were unable to confirm, deny or comment on whether a named individual was under investigation, however.  The Green Party statement on Wednesday said they were in contact with the store, but would not be commenting further.

"The Green Party is aware of allegations regarding MP Golriz Ghahraman and is in contact with Scotties Boutique to better understand and address them," a spokesperson for the party said.

"Green MPs are expected to maintain high standards of public behaviour. Ms Ghahraman will stand aside from all portfolio responsibilities until the matter is resolved.

"The Green Party and Ms Ghahraman will not comment further at this time."

Ghahraman was the party's spokesperson on Foreign Affairs, Trade, Women, Justice, Refugees, Defence, Human Rights, Ethnic Communities, Democracy and the electoral system, and the Government Response to the March 15 Attack."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Can't see it myself.

But we will no doubt be told, eventually.
(11-01-2024, 02:08 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Can't see it myself.

Me neither, seems quite odd.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(11-01-2024, 02:10 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:

Me neither, seems quite odd.
Something doesn't smell right in this whole situation. Scotties Boutique Looks like any self respecting Green would steer well clear of and the Twitterati are in a lather about the situation with assumptions and innuendos aplenty.

This story really needs some sunlight before too much of the RWNJ's BS adheres and real damage to the Greens results.

Worth noting though that at least the Greens have come clean about this as much as they have which is more than can be said about the nameless (ACT?) MP who had court proceedings hidden over a serious assault. Or National's continuing failure to allow the public details of the Sam Uffindell report.
Have you noticed how all the media are neglecting to point out she stood down, preferring to suggest she was stood down...
(11-01-2024, 03:55 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(11-01-2024, 02:10 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Me neither, seems quite odd.
Something doesn't smell right in this whole situation. Scotties Boutique Looks like any self respecting Green would steer well clear of and the Twitterati are in a lather about the situation with assumptions and innuendos aplenty.

This story really needs some sunlight before too much of the RWNJ's BS adheres and real damage to the Greens results.

Worth noting though that at least the Greens have come clean about this as much as they have which is more than can be said about the nameless (ACT?) MP who had court proceedings hidden over a serious assault. Or National's continuing failure to allow the public details of the Sam Uffindell report.

Interesting shop...mentions 'curated' section of recycled stuff several times yet a sleeveless top in that range is priced at $345! Quite a bit of their stock is plain fugly too, as well as overpriced, & I'd agree, it doesn't seem the kind of place a Green MP would bother with.

And yes, you do have to wonder about those other cases - quite a contrast.

(11-01-2024, 05:43 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Have you noticed how all the media are neglecting to point out she stood down, preferring to suggest she was stood down...

Ah well, ther media are all head over heels in love with the very right wing govt. 

For now... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
(11-01-2024, 06:16 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(11-01-2024, 03:55 PM)harm_less Wrote: Something doesn't smell right in this whole situation. Scotties Boutique Looks like any self respecting Green would steer well clear of and the Twitterati are in a lather about the situation with assumptions and innuendos aplenty.

Interesting shop...mentions 'curated' section of recycled stuff several times yet a sleeveless top in that range is priced at $345! Quite a bit of their stock is plain fugly too, as well as overpriced, & I'd agree, it doesn't seem the kind of place a Green MP would bother with.

And yes, you do have to wonder about those other cases - quite a contrast.
It seems very weird.   It does serve to deflect attention from the Maggie Barry episode, but I can't see how the alleged shoplifting situation could be contrived other than from dirty action by the shop.   I know some of the people involved with Scotties and they would never collaborate with any right wing lobby group to take down a Green MP.

The only take on it I can find is that Golriz could have had some kind of breakdown, but that seems unlikely too.

By the way, Scotties stocks some absolutely marvellous clothes and footwear; way beyond my present budget and I don't buy new clothes,  but if I came into money I would be very interested in their recycled section.   I used to work just around the corner and I was an occasional customer on paydays.

You seem surprised, I would expect nothing less from the far left, they are soft on crime after all.
This same party condoned vandalism of the treaty at tepapa.

Piece of trash should be kicked out of parliment, along with the rest in her party.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
The other thing is that as yet, no actual charges have been laid.

The media seem outraged that she's overseas rather than here, & are ignoring the fact that parliament is on the holiday break (as is usual) in their eagerness to attempt the usual blackening of character as far as possible.

Its all rather odd...

(12-01-2024, 10:41 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:

You seem surprised, I would expect nothing less from the far left, they are soft on crime after all.

Piece of trash should be kicked out of parliment, along with the rest in her party.

Oh dear! He, whoever he is, has clearly chosen NOT to look at the behaviour of for example, Maggie Barry or anyone else in the right wing side of politics & has decided that endeavouring to protect the environment is somehow 'extremist' & 'far left' fgs!

Little wonder that  very little progress has been made in cleaning up the planet with plonkers like this spreading nonsense. Dodgy
(12-01-2024, 10:48 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: The other thing is that as yet, no actual charges have been laid.

The media seem outraged that she's overseas rather than here, & are ignoring the fact that parliament is on the holiday break (as is usual) in their eagerness to attempt the usual blackening of character as far as possible.

Its all rather odd...

(12-01-2024, 10:41 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: You seem surprised, I would expect nothing less from the far left, they are soft on crime after all.

Oh dear! He, whoever he is, has clearly chosen NOT to look at the behaviour of for example, Maggie Barry or anyone else in the right wing side of politics & has decided that endeavouring to protect the environment is somehow 'extremist' & 'far left' fgs!

Little wonder that  very little progress has been made in cleaning up the planet with plonkers like this spreading nonsense. Dodgy
Maggie Barry should have known better.
But that is quite trivial compared to shoplifting presumably expensive designer clothing.
I'm assuming the retailer has come forward with the allegations, will be interesting what comes out of it.
Wow.

So no 'innocent till proven guilty' in your world then, CT?
(12-01-2024, 11:27 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Wow.

I never said that, but the media are naturally all over it.
At least the greens stood her down, that's the right thing to do.
(12-01-2024, 11:30 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(12-01-2024, 11:27 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Wow.

I never said that, but the media are naturally all over it.
You seem to have selective comprehension again CT. Golriz stood down of her own volition, she wasn't stood down by the party.
(12-01-2024, 12:08 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(12-01-2024, 11:30 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I never said that, but the media are naturally all over it.
You seem to have selective comprehension again CT. Golriz stood down of her own volition, she wasn't stood down by the party.

That would suggest guilt to me if thats the case.
Typically innocent or not in any such cases wr usually see most parties stand down members in such situations until the investigation is complete.
(12-01-2024, 12:25 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(12-01-2024, 12:08 PM)harm_less Wrote: You seem to have selective comprehension again CT. Golriz stood down of her own volition, she wasn't stood down by the party.

Typically innocent or not in any such cases wr usually see most parties stand down members in such situations until the investigation is complete.
That would suggest to me loyalty to the party by doing her best to distance herself from them until the situation becomes clear.

One possibility that comes to mind is that Golriz was over-enthusiastically pursuing evidence of unsustainably or unethically produced clothing. If she has evidence of something like sweatshop and/or child labour produced clothing it would go some way in explaining why the boutique is not commenting for fear of blowing the story open.

As I said above there is more to this than is being divulged so far and in the absence of facts the rumour mill is working overtime.
Stepping down from a leadership role when a serious accusation has been lodged against you is a sign of honour, not an admission of guilt. It shows a willingness to put others interests ahead of your own ego.

Honour is such an old fashioned concept, it is no wonder so many are unfamiliar with it.
(12-01-2024, 12:25 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(12-01-2024, 12:08 PM)harm_less Wrote: You seem to have selective comprehension again CT. Golriz stood down of her own volition, she wasn't stood down by the party.

That is the most godawful nonsense; it has for centuries, been tradition for those in difficult circumstances to voluntarily stand down until the matter is cleared up, & I'm surprised you didn't know that - although on second thought, perhaps not so surprising.

(12-01-2024, 01:49 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Stepping down from a leadership role when a serious accusation has been lodged against you is a sign of honour, not an admission of guilt. It shows a willingness to put others interests ahead of your own ego.

Honour is such an old fashioned concept, it is no wonder so many are unfamiliar with it.

Particularly those on the right,it seems...
(12-01-2024, 12:37 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(12-01-2024, 12:25 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: That would suggest guilt to me if thats the case.
That would suggest to me loyalty to the party by doing her best to distance herself from them until the situation becomes clear.

One possibility that comes to mind is that Golriz was over-enthusiastically pursuing evidence of unsustainably or unethically produced clothing. If she has evidence of something like sweatshop and/or child labour produced clothing it would go some way in explaining why the boutique is not commenting for fear of blowing the story open.

As I said above there is more to this than is being divulged so far and in the absence of facts the rumour mill is working overtime.

That's a possibility & would make sense of a very odd situation, no doubt we'll see in due course.

Apparently 'experts from both sides' are claiming that she has few options to save her career.  The media are very keen for more details, its the silly season & so not much other news happening.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic...d-front-up

"Ghahraman has ignored multiple requests for comment, while the Green Party has told its members and MPs not to speak about the issue.
Experts in political communications say the party’s refusal to comment further has left too much ambiguity and room for speculation.

Clint Smith, a director at Victor Consulting and former communications advisor to Jacinda Ardern, said the party needed to clear up what had actually happened.

"In situations like these, it is very important for the party leadership to get the full facts and share those facts with the public as quickly as possible,” he said.

What actually happened, why, and are there mitigating factors or explanations? The lack of clear answers fuels speculation, and people will often assume the worst.”

Janet Wilson, a Post columnist and former National Party chief press secretary, said remaining quiet would not make the issue disappear. We needed to know her sense about it, what her reaction was, whether she intends to fight it. I would advise her to say that and nothing more. And then she could say she was unable to say anything more until the police investigation is completed,” Wilson said.

If she's found completely innocent, that will make the story go away. The fact police are investigating, as well as her own political party, does put her in clear and present danger."

That seems unlikely; just as the Uffindell scandal was dragged up to make a point about this situation, so this could also be used again & again by the media & everyone else.
(12-01-2024, 12:37 PM)harm_less Wrote: One possibility that comes to mind is that Golriz was over-enthusiastically pursuing evidence of unsustainably or unethically produced clothing. If she has evidence of something like sweatshop and/or child labour produced clothing it would go some way in explaining why the boutique is not commenting for fear of blowing the story open.

I think that is grasping at straws unfortunately.   Scotties sells well known high-fashion brands and advertises them on its web site.  There is no need for anyone to physically take away samples as the brands can easily be researched on line.

Another suggestion on Twitter has been that Golriz was previously supplied with clothing by Scotties as a promotional initiative, the agreement had expired and Golriz absentmindedly took some clothes (or accessories) thinking that the agreement was still current.   I think that's grasping at straws also.

The most likely explanation to me is that she suffers from kleptomania, a well known mental disorder.
I think the whole business is just plain sad.

I am glad I stopped watching the news some weeks ago. If I could just drop the online news stuff my life would improve even more.