Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greenpeace attempt to block green hydrogen project
Sounds like they are only against it because it is producing fertilizer.
https://www.ruralnewsgroup.co.nz/rural-n...en-project
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(12-01-2024, 11:08 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Sounds like they are only against it because it is producing fertilizer.
The energy viability of hydrogen manufacture, distribution and use as a fuel is questionable to start with. Using it to produce 'greenwashed' urea is of dubious value and of course Greenpeace would call them out on it. Not surprisingly the article is from Fed Farmers' publication and can't understand the negative aspects of urea fertilizer.
Back in the 1990s, I worked for a company which was linked to the oil industry. We had a presentation, one day, on the golden future for hydrogen powered vehicles. Now, nearly 30 years later, it's still pie in the sky. As well as the difficulties in generating hydrogen, and storing it at high pressure, there is the little matter of its low calorific value.
I do have other cameras!
(12-01-2024, 11:20 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(12-01-2024, 11:08 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Sounds like they are only against it because it is producing fertilizer.
The energy viability of hydrogen manufacture, distribution and use as a fuel is questionable to start with. Using it to produce 'greenwashed' urea is of dubious value and of course Greenpeace would call them out on it. Not surprisingly the article is from Fed Farmers' publication and can't understand the negative aspects of urea fertilizer.
I agree with you, but I thought they were the same ones greenwashing us over hydrogen to begin with.
Mind you putting it's use to fertilizer is probably less wasteful than using as fuel in a vehicle.
Sick of them still talking about hydrogen cars in the media.
(12-01-2024, 11:39 AM)Praktica Wrote: Back in the 1990s, I worked for a company which was linked to the oil industry. We had a presentation, one day, on the golden future for hydrogen powered vehicles. Now, nearly 30 years later, it's still pie in the sky. As well as the difficulties in generating hydrogen, and storing it at high pressure, there is the little matter of its low calorific value.
One of the biggest promoters of hydrogen is the fossil fuel industry as they see it as a lifeline for natural gas production and continuing usefulness of their infrastructure. This video is the best I've seen on the economic viability, sustainability and future use off hydrogen (spoiler alert it fails on all counts). Skip the first 5 minutes or so to avoid Robert's initial rant Wink

Most of our hydrogen comes from oil and is the cheapest form of the stuff, but any green hydrogen is overly expensive and a wasteful amount of energy that could be out to better use.
I also heard some years back that Shell was going to build a geothermal hydrogen plant in iceland (look how that will go now!) but again, its still a waste of energy. I dont think anything came out of it.
Something interesting ive been learning about is drilling for hydrogen reserves in the ground, dont know much about it, but didnt think it would be that abundant.