Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Govt leak confirmed, proposed treaty principles
They seem to be trying to back away from it to some extent in only supporting it to the first reading.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/507...-bill-memo

"The government has confirmed a document about the government's proposed Treaty Principles bill is a leaked draft memo from the Ministry of Justice.

Te Pāti Māori's co-leader Rawiri Waititi posted a screenshot of the leaked document on social media on Friday, saying it showed the government's "intentions to erase Te Tiriti o Waitangi".

The screenshot showed commentary from the report's author saying they expected the Bill would be "highly contentious".
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
They have always said they would support it to first reading.
This is definitely likely to be interesting.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/507...onwide-hui

"Prime Minister Christopher Luxon is defending his decision not to attend Saturday's nationwide hui, saying it isn't a political event.

The open-invitation hui was called by Kiingi Tuuheitia over fears of the coalition government's plans for Māori.

At his party's first caucus meeting of the year in Christchurch, Luxon confirmed he will be a no-show.

"It's not actually a political event, per se, it's actually not for politicians, we are not front and center in those conversations.

"It's an opportunity for Māoridom to come together. I'm very supportive of it, I think it's a good idea to be able to think about where is Māori going out to 2040 and beyond.

"I caught up with the Māori King earlier in the week, and I'll catch up again, with him and other iwi leaders over the course of Waitangi."

Luxon insists he isn't missing the hui because he's worried about the reception he may receive.

"No, no...I've had a chance to have a really good engagement with the Māori King, which I did earlier in the week, I've had a chance to engage with several iwi leaders...since becoming Prime Minister, you know, I've met with many physically, privately, I've had conversations and phone calls with many as well.

"I will continue to do that. That's how I've always operated. That's what I'll continue to do," Luxon said."

Māori Development Minister Tama Potaka and National's Dan Bidois will be attending instead of Luxon and they'll likely be the only representatives of the coalition government, with ACT and New Zealand First choosing not to go.

Potaka said it was his intention to listen."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Interesting that Jenny Shipley is involved but it makes sense to have views from all sides.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/other/mas...ticle_link

"Iwi leader Ken Mair says the turnout in Whanganui of hundreds of people in December to protest against government policies is “just the beginning” of action.
“That was an amazing turnout of people who are extremely concerned about what this coalition government is doing in the context of the attacks on Te Tiriti o Waitangi, te reo Māori, the health initiatives around smoking … even the Fair Pay Agreements, because that’s about supporting vulnerable people on low pay and a large number of our people, Māori and Pacific Island, are in that category.”
Iwi leaders are expected to travel from across the country to Tūrangawaewae Marae on Saturday in response to Te Paki o Matariki, a royal proclamation issued by Kiingi Tuheitia late last year, calling for all iwi to unite.
Kiingi Tuheitia has called on all iwi to attend a Hui-ā-Motu (national meeting) to work out a unified response. Thousands are expected at Tūrangawaewae Marae, with the hui expected to last at least six hours.

The hui will include a series of workshops focusing on te reo and tikanga, national identity, economic wellbeing, and the Treaty of Waitangi and proposed reforms. A rangatahi forum will also be held. Keynote speakers include Sir Mason Durie, Sir Timoti Karetu and Che Wilson.
Tumu Mauri will sit in at each session as sources of mātauranga (knowledge). They include Sir Tipene O’Regan, Dame Silvia Cartwright and Gerrard Albert.
Sessions on the economy will feature Hone Harawira, Dave Letele, Tina Porou and Mavis Mullins. The te reo and tikanga forum will include Pania Papa and Tatere McLeod, while Dame Jenny Shipley, Aupito Sio, Rikirangi Gage, Ruakere Hond, Hinewehi Mohi and Dr Hana O’Regan will focus on national identity. The Treaty forum will include Tina Ngata, Pita Tipene and Rob Ruha.
The workshops will be led by journalists and Māori leaders including Julian Wilcox and Mihingarangi Forbes."
They aren't going because there is no invitation to speak...
(21-01-2024, 09:02 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: They aren't going because there is no invitation to speak...

And they might have to listen to differing views... Rolleyes