Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaxmere's only supermarket to close
Which means that 11 thousand people will be without a supermarket. This smacks of 'we can't make enough money here,so we're leaving & to hell with these people, they're too poor'

https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/01/19/flaxm...ext-month/

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zeala...arket.html

As a result, a petition has been started.

https://www.change.org/p/prevent-the-clo...kAFIPuYL-o
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Add ASB closing five branches across the North Island.
Only 21 million dollars to refurbish they were saying on the radio, a drop in the bucket of what they earn each year.
The new supermarket would have made all the difference to those who live there but it seems that profit is the goal.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/...ticle_link
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Flaxmere is a suburb of Hastings. I'm sure everyone's suburb doesn't have a supermarket. Its the media looking for stories, thats the whole story.
Can bet Foodstuffs will retain a lease onthe building to prevent Wooolworths opening up there . They did similar in Upper huutt buying up all commercial vacant properties to keep CD out . But They eventually bought a whole block of small shops & built their supermarket . Foxton has less people thanFlaxmere but it has a supermarket . They just dont want to rebuild instead force shoppers into the city & big box shopping .
(23-01-2024, 04:35 PM)joe 90 Wrote: Can  bet  Foodstuffs will  retain  a    lease onthe  building to prevent  Wooolworths opening  up  there  .  They did  similar in Upper huutt buying up all  commercial  vacant  properties  to  keep CD out . But  They eventually bought a  whole block of  small shops    &  built their  supermarket  .  Foxton  has  less  people thanFlaxmere  but it  has  a supermarket .  They just dont want to rebuild  instead  force shoppers into the city  & big    box  shopping  .
Foodstuffs don’t own the building so the landlord is able to lease it to one of the rival companies Jacinda and the ComCom claimed were being stopped entering the market by the duopoly .Woolworths have expressed no interest in opening in Flaxmere - the nearest PaknSave is only 8km away - the people of Flaxmere chose not to support the New World so the owner operator could not keep trading with not enough customers -there is a very good Four Square in Flaxmere
Supermarkets aren't charities and $21,000,000 is a lot of money even for a supermarket. Even if it was doing well, it would still take many years for for the owners to pay off that sort of investment, and the linked articles suggest it wasn't performing that well.
With a Pak'n'Save only 10 min down the road, I'm sure most people will cope with the closure just fine. Also, if they're mostly low income households, they should already he shopping at Pak'n'Save and not New World anyway.
(23-01-2024, 09:46 PM)dken31 Wrote: Supermarkets aren't charities and $21,000,000 is a lot of money even for a supermarket. Even if it was doing well, it would still take many years for for the owners to pay off that sort of investment, and the linked articles suggest it wasn't performing that well. 
With a Pak'n'Save only 10 min down the road, I'm sure most people will cope with the closure just fine.  Also, if they're mostly low income households, they should already he shopping at Pak'n'Save and not New World anyway.

There's zero chance anyone would mistake them for charities; nonetheless businesses needn't always be ruthless & uncaring. They forget that without customers, they'd have no business at all.

There may very well be people without transport who need to get groceries, & regardless of their income I think they're capable of deciding for themselves where to shop.
Supermarkets are doing the relatively easy and uncomplicated job of supplying needed goods by warehousing and displaying them to the citizens of the country and as such are entitled to receive moderate wages for accomplishing this task.

However they are now only working to obtain super-profits and need to be regulated by a governing body with teeth because at the moment they are running out of control and ripping off the consumer at all turns.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(24-01-2024, 03:58 PM)zqwerty Wrote: Supermarkets are doing the relatively easy and uncomplicated job of supplying needed goods by warehousing and displaying them to the citizens of the country and as such are entitled to receive moderate wages for accomplishing this task.

However they are now only working to obtain super-profits and need to be regulated by a governing body with teeth because at the moment they are running out of control and ripping off the consumer at all turns.
Flaxmere 4 square has been a large thriving business in Flaxmere for many years which has always been well supported by the locals who aren’t shopping at the nearby PaknSave - plus there are 3 bottle stores
(24-01-2024, 03:58 PM)zqwerty Wrote: Supermarkets are doing the relatively easy and uncomplicated job of supplying needed goods by warehousing and displaying them to the citizens of the country and as such are entitled to receive moderate wages for accomplishing this task.

That would make sense.
So not a chance in hell of it happening while this lot are in charge...
People who are doing the most mundane tasks see themselves as entitled to rip off anyone who comes into their sphere of influence, this is a part of my comment that there are too many Chiefs and not enough Indians.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche