Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kingitanga hui
I suspect that this govt wasn't expecting such a strong reaction so quickly. They don't seem to have understood that this is going to get a reaction from not only Maori, but also Pakeha who are concerned.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-news/35015291...g-bring-it

"An estimated 10,000 Māori and non-Māori from around Aotearoa descended onto Tūrungawaewae Marae in Ngāruawāia on Saturday, heeding the call for a nationwide hui, by the Māori King, Tūheitia Pōtatau Te Wherowhero VII.
Iwi from across the motu answered Kiingi Tūheitia’s royal decree, mobilising and arriving in force.
The morning, sweltering hot, muggy and cloudy, began with an almighty pōwhiri, as the guests began to enter the marae atea (courtyard), and fill the entire site, and then areas across the street, in the wharekai (dining room) and on the banks of the Waikato River.
Each iwi introduced themselves, cracking jokes and helping set the mood that the hui was welcome for all.

Attendance was made up of whānau from different backgrounds and areas of the country, including a small number of gang members.
Attendee Eugene Ryder said it felt good to see iwi Māori come together as one.
It was obvious from the new government we were going to be challenged, and I guess this was a great first response to being challenged,” he said.

Ryder was passionate about the Government’s proposed gang law reform, which he says will predominantly target Māori.
Attendee Te Aōrere Parore Southon said the atmosphere of the hui was ‘all aroha’.
If we meet with aroha and move with aroha and flow with it, there’s no need for arguments or anything like that,” she said.

It’s a big bring it on, if they do want to play in that field, but it’s also a bring it on with aroha.”

Kara Puketapu-Dentice, CEO of Taranaki Whānui, delivered a core message of the hui, that would be delivered to Rātana commemorations and Waitangi: that the Treaty was not open to reinterpretation.
He Whakaputanga and Te Tiriti are full and complete documents that provide for a written constitution for this nation. They do not require interpretation or reinterpretation by use of principles,” he told the crowd of thousands.
If the Government does not uphold Te Tiriti, Te Arawa asserted they will cede, and form its own political authority.”

Speaking to the hui, Kiingi Tūheitia said the messages sent today were heard all over the world.

"By turning up, we've sent a strong message,“ he said.
This is just day one, our time is now, kotahitanga is the way. Those who want to divide us I say this, we're all elite Māori.
"We are elite Māori, elite because of our whakapapa and mana."
Kiingi Tūheitia said they were only interested in one version of the treaty, the te reo version, that was not open to reinterpretation."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
This more indepth report from John Campbell seems to capture the essence of the hui in a positive light.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/01/21/john-...to-say-no/
I cannot get past the effrontery of the descendants of the colonists seeking to rewrite the Treaty that founded the nation they now seek to lead. The unbridled arrogance of it just stuns me.

They have learned nothing from past errors.
(21-01-2024, 11:30 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I cannot get past the effrontery of the descendants of the colonists seeking to rewrite the Treaty that founded the nation they now seek to lead. The unbridled arrogance of it just stuns me.

Now then, I'm sure they know best, what with their infinite wisdom - or at least somehow think they do... Rolleyes Dodgy

(21-01-2024, 11:18 AM)harm_less Wrote: This more indepth report from John Campbell seems to capture the essence of the hui in a positive light.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/01/21/john-...to-say-no/

Cheers for posting that - I especially enjoyed this:

"Ngāpuhi aren’t a Kīngitanga iwi. They don’t see Kīngi Tūheitia as their king. And they contain Waitangi within their broad, northern boundaries – home, of course, to the Waitangi commemorations, our most famous form of national hui.

And yet they came, hundreds of Ngāpuhi. Some wearing korowai made especially for the occasion. Some the direct descendants of Treaty signatories. A waiata, composed for the hui, rehearsed beyond newness into a heartfelt and singular voice.

That so very many people would arrive here, only six weeks later, in the holiday-season slowness of the third week of January, speaks not only to how resoundingly those present reject the coalition government’s Treaty Principles Bill, but also to a strength of unity already existing."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
What do you expect from National Party members?

I expect total insensitivity to everything except the gathering of money.

The Treaty of Waitangi is set in stone.

These National Party turds need to be pushed out of office as soon as possible.

General principles of the Treaty of Waitangi

The main purpose of the Treaty was to ensure that both parties to it would live together peacefully and develop New Zealand together in partnership. The Treaty does this by assuring Māori that their interests will be protected and confirming citizen equality.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(21-01-2024, 11:30 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I cannot get past the effrontery of the descendants of the colonists seeking to rewrite the Treaty that founded the nation they now seek to lead. The unbridled arrogance of it just stuns me.

It's the blatant denial of the land theft that continues to astonish me.   No matter how many times colonisation is spelt out Seymour and his disciples continue to talk about "equality", as if every citizen of Aotearoa is starting from an equal position.  And those hardy souls who keep on spelling it out get derided as repetitive and fanatical.

It makes me feel sick, but we must carry on holding the line and not get worn down.
Kiwi before iwi?

Fuck off. Not my government.
(21-01-2024, 07:53 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Kiwi before iwi?

Actually they are your government - you may not have voted for them but for the next 3 years it is the government you will live with.

(21-01-2024, 05:54 PM)zqwerty Wrote: What do you expect from National Party members?

The main purpose of the Treaty was to ensure that both parties to it would live together peacefully and develop New Zealand together in partnership. The Treaty does this by assuring Māori that their interests will be protected and confirming citizen equality.

The treaty isn't set in stone - that's the issue.   SInce the late 80s it has been reinterpreted and this is where "partnership" came into it.  The actual treaty has no mention of this anywhere.  Also there is dispute as to which version is correct- the English or the Maori versions. Then there is the fact that not all tribes signed it.

So no not set in stone.
only 3 years now WG?
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(22-01-2024, 07:39 AM)king1 Wrote: only 3 years now WG?
And even that is optimistic. All it will take is one major event and the coalition will fall like a sack of shit. That major event may well be civil unrest if Seymour, Peters and spineless Luxon continue on their threats against NZ's founding document.

Well it will likely be longer under National - however THIS coalition is there for 3 years.

(22-01-2024, 08:35 AM)harm_less Wrote:
And even that is optimistic. All it will take is one major event and the coalition will fall like a sack of shit. That major event may well be civil unrest if Seymour, Peters and spineless Luxon continue on their threats against NZ's founding document.

So you are talking about coup?  The forced removal of a legitimate government by civil unrest?
(22-01-2024, 06:23 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(21-01-2024, 07:53 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Kiwi before iwi?

Actually they are your government - you may not have voted for them but for the next 3 years it is the government you will live with.

(21-01-2024, 05:54 PM)zqwerty Wrote: What do you expect from National Party members?

The treaty isn't set in stone - that's the issue.   SInce the late 80s it has been reinterpreted and this is where "partnership" came into it.  The actual treaty has no mention of this anywhere.  Also there is dispute as to which version is correct- the English or the Maori versions. Then there is the fact that not all tribes signed it.

So no not set in stone.

I may be forced to live with it but I do not have to support them in any way shape or form. Funny thing though, I know a fair few who did vote for them, and who are regretting it now. Which is interesting. I can't recall seeing that before, at least not quite so early in a changeover. Makes things interesting though. I wonder if Luxon can turn it around...

That would be leadership.

(22-01-2024, 09:08 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:

Well it will likely be longer under National - however THIS coalition is there for 3 years.

(22-01-2024, 08:35 AM)harm_less Wrote: And even that is optimistic. All it will take is one major event and the coalition will fall like a sack of shit. That major event may well be civil unrest if Seymour, Peters and spineless Luxon continue on their threats against NZ's founding document.

So you are talking about coup?  The forced removal of a legitimate government by civil unrest?

I don't think we do coups. We do however do civil unrest quite well, but in the past we had politicians who could read the waters and respond accordingly. Interesting times.

(22-01-2024, 08:35 AM)harm_less Wrote: And even that is optimistic. All it will take is one major event and the coalition will fall like a sack of shit. That major event may well be civil unrest if Seymour, Peters and spineless Luxon continue on their threats against NZ's founding document.

That's a bit a dramatic? not sure it is what harm_less had in mind.   But hey can't be any worse than the parliament protests - mostly respectful weren't they?

(22-01-2024, 09:29 AM)king1 Wrote:
(22-01-2024, 09:08 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Well it will likely be longer under National - however THIS coalition is there for 3 years.

That's a bit a dramatic? not sure it is what harm_less had in mind.   But hey can't be any worse than the parliament protests - mostly respectful weren't they?

If Harmless didn't mean a coup then he should be more careful with how he worded it - certainly the way it was worded suggested that.

And in general they were yes.  Some idiots in there for sure.

I wonder if the the same people who cheered on their removal would do the same if a large group of Maori also occupied the Parliament grounds and were forcibly removed?
Well, there was the Waterfront if anyone needs a reminder of what happens when the government turns on protestors...
The panic over the Treaty bill on the left and in Maori is palatable. Seymour got what he wanted - the bill introduced. National have already said they would support it to the first reading to allow it to proceed to select committee. They will not support it beyond that. Certainly not in its current form. Neither will NZ First. So the Bill dies at select committee.

As a founding document I personally wished that it had been enshrined in law properly to form part of a written constitution. That way it can't be easily changed without significant consultation.
(22-01-2024, 09:40 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(22-01-2024, 09:29 AM)king1 Wrote: That's a bit a dramatic? not sure it is what harm_less had in mind.   But hey can't be any worse than the parliament protests - mostly respectful weren't they?

If Harmless didn't mean a coup then he should be more careful with how he worded it - certainly the way it was worded suggested that.

I wonder if the the same people who cheered on their removal would do the same if a large group of Maori also occupied the Parliament grounds and were forcibly removed?

His intention was very clear to myself and everyone else I suspect - civil unrest is a far cry and a huge leap from a coup - and i'm sure I read somewhere twisting words is a sin...

(22-01-2024, 09:55 AM)king1 Wrote:
(22-01-2024, 09:40 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: If Harmless didn't mean a coup then he should be more careful with how he worded it - certainly the way it was worded suggested that.

His intention was very clear to myself and everyone else I suspect - civil unrest is a far cry and a huge leap from a coup - and i'm sure I read somewhere twisting words is a sin...

Perhaps.  But it certainly could be interpreted that way.

Already we have certain Maori leaders declaring that there would be violence if the Treaty was tampered with - that is certainly more than just civil unrest.  Perhaps those training grounds in the Uruweras may come in handy?
Oh dear...that lot in the beehive seem to have stirred up rather more than they'd intended or expected.

Which in some ways is not altogether a bad thing; while it annoys,shocks & outrages many of us that anyone could attempt to tinker with the treaty for whatever 'reasons' they managed to come up with, it has shown very, very, clearly that a good many Kiwis are very definitely not in favour of it.

That's interesting because, if this govt should attempt anything else of which many do not approve they will now almost certainly meet with at least protests & at most perhaps legal action to prevent whatever it might be, who knows.

You obviously view our times through a much darker lens than most.

Have you already forgotten the events that our previous government navigated during their time in power without dissolving into choas? A major terrorist attack (Christchurch mosque shootings), a tourist disaster (White Island eruption), an worldwide pandemic (COVID19), numerous climatic disasters (Auckland, Cyclones Gabrielle & Hale), and an increasing level of personal threats to its MPs, but still we came out of that government's period of leadership with one of the strongest economic position in the OECD.

My inclusion of NAF's Treaty of Waitangi approach was to highlight the fact that they are adding to the potential shitstorms that they may (will) need to navigate through during their current term by way of their own actions. We are already witnessing a divergence of public support of them and as yet they have done little more than slash and burn existing policies. Once they start introducing whatever patchwork of money raising schemes to address the income streams they are dismantling things will get pretty toxic in our corner of the South Pacific. International instability due to the current conflicts together with the likelihood of another Trump presidency just fuels that potential fire even more. Add a natural disaster or two and another pandemic and this coalition of narcissistic clowns will fly apart in a shower of shit.