Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Shaw resigns
Interesting times...

https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/01/30/james...co-leader/

"Former Climate Change Minister James Shaw will step down as the Greens' co-leader in March, but will stay in Parliament for the time being to support a member's bill drawn from the ballot last year.

The new co-leader is expected to be announced on March 10.
Shaw, who the Green Party called the "architect" of the Zero Carbon Act, said it had been a privilege to serve as the Climate Change Minister for six years and the Greens' co-leader for nine.

He also acknowledged current co-leader Marama Davidson, and Metiria Turei who preceded her.
Shaw's members' bill, drawn from the ballot in the last draw of the year last year, would change the Bill of Rights to include the "right to a sustainable environment". The Bill of Rights (Right to a Sustainable Environment) Amendment Bill was introduced to the House on December 19 and will face its first reading. As an opposition member's bill, it is not guaranteed to pass into law.

If the bill progresses past its first reading to select committee and beyond it's possible Shaw will remain in Parliament for some months yet.
“I’m very proud of what the Green Party has achieved over the last eight years. I would like to thank Green Party members and supporters for their incredible hard work and support over that time."

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/507...-co-leader

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politics/j...R7JCLRPEY/
"Shaw said he has not begun to dwell on the knocks, laughing at the fact that some were literal, physical knocks, but said at times it was hard to "weigh up the costs" and stick around as co-leader.
"You have to remember that everything that happened, happened on my watch," Shaw said proudly, careful not to take all the credit.
He said it was "pretty easy" to decision to leave today with a chuckle. "It was a question of when rather than if," Shaw said.
"Now is the best time for me to stand out and handover to a new co-leader," Shaw said.

He said he was not going to give a personal endorsement for Swarbrick, despite mentoring her for many years. 
He said she will have to put her hand up like everyone else and she will go through the same process and would not get special treatment. 
Marama Davidson spoke as well, saying she will continue to fight against the "dominant systems of power" and said she is looking forward to the next co-leader. 
"We will be very clear to not interrupt the fair process to elect the next co-leader," Davidson said. 

She would not commit to standing as co-leader at the next election. She said she had known about Shaw's intention to leave for "a long time". 
"He has given blood, he has given his mahi, and I am now happy he gets to go the beach."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/30-01-...-co-leader

"Shaw will remain in parliament “for the time being” to support a Green-backed amendment to the Bill of Rights, but challengers for the co-leadership can start putting themselves forward from tomorrow.
In 2022, the Greens’ co-leader constitution changed from requiring one male and one female co-leader to instead requiring one woman and one person of any gender, plus a requirement that one must be Māori.
Alongside his role as climate change minister, Shaw held a number of other senior roles within the Labour-led government, including statistics, associate finance and associate environment. He faced criticism from former Green MPs from the more activist wing of the party, with Sue Bradford accusing Shaw of turning the Greens into “Labour light”.
In 2022, he faced a leadership contest after Green delegates did not reconfirm Shaw as co-leader. He ultimately retained the role comfortably after defeating his sole competitor, James Cockle.
While a blow to the Greens, the departure of Shaw from politics was sign-posted ahead of last year’s election after he decided against running for an electorate seat. "
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Boy I just wonder who the new co-leader will be....
Difficult to predict at this stage I think, it could be anyone.
(30-01-2024, 06:16 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Difficult to predict at this stage I think, it could be anyone.

Well certainly anyone named Cloe......
(30-01-2024, 05:00 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Boy I just wonder who the new co-leader will be....
We'll find out in due course. Some strong personalities to choose from which will obviously be reflected in where the Greens position themselves in the near future.

(30-01-2024, 06:34 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(30-01-2024, 06:16 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Difficult to predict at this stage I think, it could be anyone.

Well certainly anyone named Cloe......
Or even Chloe.
I hope she chooses not to stand for this role. She has enough on her plate, adding leadership would just increase her workload and take away from the power she has. Certainly she is leader material, just not yet. She needs to develop some rat cunning, and that takes time...
(31-01-2024, 09:51 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I hope she chooses not to stand for this role. She has enough on her plate, adding leadership would just increase her workload and take away from the power she has. Certainly she is leader material, just not yet. She needs to develop some rat cunning, and that takes time...

RNZ says she's ruled it out for now, as has Julie Anne Genter but Teanu Tuiono says maybe. Hard to say this soon I think.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/507...o-leader-s

"Teanau Tuiono (Ngāpuhi and Ngāi Takoto) moved to the fifth ranking on the party's list after Jan Logie and Eugenie Sage retired in the 2023 elections.
As the party's candidate Palmerston North, he became a list Member of Parliament - the party's first MP with Pasifika whakapapa - in the 2020 general elections. And again was re-elected as a list MP in 2023.
He spoke of how he believed swearing allegiance to the Queen was outdated, and said that it should be to Te Tiriti o Waitangi instead.
In 2022, as Shaw battled to keep his co-leadership role, Tuiono publicly contemplated contesting.

Last year, his Restoring Citizenship Removed By Citizenship (Western Samoa) Act 1982 Bill was introduced in Parliament. The bill would restore the right to New Zealand citizenship for people from Western Samoa who were born between 1924 and 1949 - a right promised to them and found owed them by New Zealand's then highest court.
In December, Tuiono was appointed as the third assistant speaker - the first Green Party MP to become a member on the speaker team.

He recently expressed concern over the lack of Pasifika voices in the government."
And yet, she may decide to run after all.

https://www.thepress.co.nz/politics/3501...ent-friday
"Green MP Chlöe Swarbrick is set to make an announcement Friday morning, after building speculation about a possible leadership bid.
James Shaw announced plans earlier this week to step down as co-leader in March, less than six months after the party recorded its biggest-ever election result.
Nominations for co-leader opened on Wednesday and close February 14. The new co-leader will be announced March 10, after being voted in by Green Party branches.

A range of Green and ACT Party MPs will be making their maiden speeches tonight.
It follows outgoing Labour MP Kelvin Davis’ valedictory speech on Wednesday. Davis told the House he came into politics “to do better for Māori”.
The former Children’s, Corrections and Crown/Māori Relations Minister took aim at the Government over the Treaty Principles Bill.
“No one should attempt to delegitimise 184 years of discussion, just because they have belatedly decided to enter the conversation,” he said.
“After 184 years, we should not have to constantly justify our worldview to the public service and ignorant politicians.”
(01-02-2024, 02:46 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: And yet, she may decide to run after all.

"Green MP Chlöe Swarbrick is set to make an announcement Friday morning, after building speculation about a possible leadership bid.
James Shaw announced plans earlier this week to step down as co-leader in March, less than six months after the party recorded its biggest-ever election result.
Nominations for co-leader opened on Wednesday and close February 14. The new co-leader will be announced March 10, after being voted in by Green Party branches.

A range of Green and ACT Party MPs will be making their maiden speeches tonight.
It follows outgoing Labour MP Kelvin Davis’ valedictory speech on Wednesday. Davis told the House he came into politics “to do better for Māori”.
The former Children’s, Corrections and Crown/Māori Relations Minister took aim at the Government over the Treaty Principles Bill.
“No one should attempt to delegitimise 184 years of discussion, just because they have belatedly decided to enter the conversation,” he said.
“After 184 years, we should not have to constantly justify our worldview to the public service and ignorant politicians.”
What a surprise........

Davidson will be gritting her teeth at each joint leaders press conference.   Rumor has it old racist Marama isn't a big fan.....
(01-02-2024, 08:46 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(01-02-2024, 02:46 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: And yet, she may decide to run after all.

What a surprise........

Davidson will be gritting her teeth at each joint leaders press conference.   Rumor has it old racist Marama isn't a big fan.....

So much like 'old racist Seymour' then...
(02-02-2024, 10:34 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(01-02-2024, 08:46 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: What a surprise........

So much like 'old racist Seymour' then...

Don't think he likes her either
Well, too bad. Increasing numbers of voters do like her...

I just hope she doesn't crash and burn. She has so much potential.
(02-02-2024, 11:43 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(02-02-2024, 10:34 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: So much like 'old racist Seymour' then...

Don't think he likes her either
Could be because she has run rings around him in numerous interviews. Chloe is a very skilled and knowledgeable MP. Just hope she can keep herself above the toxic RWers and misogynists.
(02-02-2024, 12:27 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(02-02-2024, 11:43 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Don't think he likes her either
Could be because she has run rings around him in numerous interviews. Chloe is a very skilled and knowledgeable MP. Just hope she can keep herself above the toxic RWers and misogynists.

And there's a hell of a lot of it out there, sadly. Not helped by online sites which do nothing to prevent comments of that nature, & various idiots in the online world.  

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/508...leadership

"She said she has already proven she can work with politicians across the political spectrum to get things done for the Green Party.
"I progressed, to my understanding, the first and only Green Party members' bill that's ever passed with complete consensus at all stages... the Election Access Fund Act... Also, it's pretty well on record and documented my robust and respectful relationship with mayor Wayne Brown. I look forward to continuing to do so without obviously compromising my values."
Swarbrick said she considered the abuse and vitriol faced by young women in leadership positions before taking the role.
"I've gotta be honest about the fact that of course I weighed up the abuse and the scrutiny and all of those other things in deciding to step into this... But ultimately I believe change comes from community building but that's also where resilience comes from so feel really grateful to have the support of many people around me."
(02-02-2024, 11:47 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Well, too bad. Increasing numbers of voters do like her...

I just hope she doesn't crash and burn. She has so much potential.

Well certainly 2% think she could be PM - which is not great when you consider the % Greens get in the election.

(02-02-2024, 12:27 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(02-02-2024, 11:43 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Don't think he likes her either

Really - I have seen Seymour school her both in interviews and in the house a number of times.  Swarbrick does what most rad lefties do - just start getting loud when their facts dont stand up to scrutiny.  They seem to think if they get louder their poor arguments will make more sense.
(02-02-2024, 03:36 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(02-02-2024, 12:27 PM)harm_less Wrote: Could be because she has run rings around him in numerous interviews. Chloe is a very skilled and knowledgeable MP. Just hope she can keep herself above the toxic RWers and misogynists.

Really - I have seen Seymour school her both in interviews and in the house a number of times.  Swarbrick does what most rad lefties do - just start getting loud when their facts dont stand up to scrutiny.  They seem to think if they get louder their poor arguments will make more sense.
That would be Chloe here doing her best to get her points across as Seymour discourteously and repeatedly speaks over her?

(02-02-2024, 05:00 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(02-02-2024, 03:36 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Really - I have seen Seymour school her both in interviews and in the house a number of times.  Swarbrick does what most rad lefties do - just start getting loud when their facts dont stand up to scrutiny.  They seem to think if they get louder their poor arguments will make more sense.
That would be Chloe here doing her best to get her points across as Seymour discourteously and repeatedly speaks over her?

1 interview?  Did u have that saved for your pleasure bank so you can go back again and again?
(02-02-2024, 05:13 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(02-02-2024, 05:00 PM)harm_less Wrote: That would be Chloe here doing her best to get her points across as Seymour discourteously and repeatedly speaks over her?

1 interview?  Did u have that saved for your pleasure bank so you can go back again and again?

Just one of many examples that came up in a search for Swarbrick vs. Seymour. At least I provided something to back up my claim, unlike those that just pull opinions out of their arse with no supporting content.
(02-02-2024, 05:00 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(02-02-2024, 03:36 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Really - I have seen Seymour school her both in interviews and in the house a number of times.  Swarbrick does what most rad lefties do - just start getting loud when their facts dont stand up to scrutiny.  They seem to think if they get louder their poor arguments will make more sense.

Not the first time he's continually interrupted another speaker; I wish they'd all learn to not do so but wait till the speaker finishes & then comment.