Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black coast vanishings
An interesting documentary series; I remember the Iraena Asher incident & how it seemed that police just tried to brush her off.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/pop-culture/28-...se-to-home

I think this is a very sinister story,” former Waitakere City mayor Sir Bob Harvey declares. It’s one heck of a spooky opening to Black Coast Vanishings, Three’s new true crime docuseries that investigates the mysterious disappearances of six people at Piha since 1992.

It’s the perfect recipe for compelling television: tragic true life stories, a ruggedly remote setting, and a series of quirky characters from a small town on Auckland’s West Coast. Each of these disappearances occurred in different circumstances, but Black Coast Vanishings pulls them together by one common thread: Piha. Episode one revisits the disappearances of teacher trainee Iraena Asher and French exchange student Éloi Rolland, who visited Piha decades apart but both vanished without a trace.

Hearing the recordings of Asher’s phone calls to police is both chilling and heartbreaking, but Black Coast Vanishings isn’t just the story of those who disappeared. We also meet Rolland’s heartbroken parents, who asked their son to bring them some black sand from Piha as a souvenir, and Asher’s former boyfriend, who didn’t answer her phone call the night she disappeared. The pain and anguish of these family and friends is quiet and constant, anchoring the series in the grief of those who remain behind.

And then there’s the Piha locals, who have seen it all, heard it all, and have their own  theories about what really went on in their backyard. We hear from the Piha camp ground kaitiaki and a couple of local surfers, as well as residents Julia and Bobbie, who recount how they brought Asher into their home on the night she disappeared. These different perspectives bring an energy to the series and helps to create a rich portrait of small town New Zealand, a place where everyone notices everything and the length of the fire siren signals the seriousness of a situation."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)