Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone seen our iceberg...??
Also in Canada..an iceberg has gone missing. Possibly with that missing stuffed polar bear. Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47232355

"A Canadian vodka distiller has lost 30,000 litres of valuable iceberg water in what appears to be a heist.
Iceberg Vodka CEO David Meyers says he is mystified as to who - or why - someone would have stolen the water.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police say someone made away with the liquid - enough to fill a tractor-trailer tanker - from a warehouse in the historic community of Port Union, Newfoundland.
The water is valued at between C$9,000 ($6,775; £5,200) and C$12,000.
The CEO of the Newfoundland-based distiller told the BBC that the water was discovered missing on Monday after their facility manager found one of the tanks had been completely drained over the weekend.

Mr Meyers said it would have taken "a bit of work" to have been able to access the tank and remove the water, which was secured behind a locked gate and door.

The water is insured but the company is only able to harvest it in the spring from the ice giants that appear annually on Newfoundland and Labrador's coast along the famed "iceberg alley".
"We only have one crack at doing an iceberg harvest a year," he said. "It's just like a grape harvest for the wine industry."

More puzzling to the CEO is that he believes it would be no easy task to sell thousands of litres of stolen iceberg water.
"It's not like there's a black market for [it]," he said.
"So if someone is trying to offload 30,000 litres in a tanker or something, I would like to hear about that."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
This company might need to do so rethinking with climate change well underway...
(02-02-2024, 08:27 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: This company might need to do so rethinking with climate change well underway...

I was amazed that they're able to do it; makes zero sense.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(02-02-2024, 10:14 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(02-02-2024, 08:27 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: This company might need to do so rethinking with climate change well underway...

I was amazed that they're able to do it; makes zero sense.
Take a look at where Newfoundland is, about 1,000km south of Greenland. It's a pretty desolate place with limited opportunities for income. The 'Noofies' are pretty ingenious for that reason.
Ha! Something sprung a leak and someone lodged an insurance claim...
(02-02-2024, 02:13 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Ha! Something sprung a leak and someone lodged an insurance claim...
When living in Nova Scotia a while back one of my partner's daughter's friends was a Noofie who told me about a legendary local drink called 'Screech'. Apparently it dates back to when the backload after cod was shipped to Jamaica was rum and the Noofies realised they could repurpose the sediment/sludge in the bottoms of the barrels into a high octane drink.

They breed 'em tough in NF!
Rotten stuff is a mainstay in many isolated cultures... Desperation is a condiment adopted by many.
They lead a simple existence up in New Foundland. Iceberg events are big news for them. This was their last berg related event (with another water theft mentioned too):
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/m...land-dildo
(08-02-2024, 11:30 AM)harm_less Wrote: They lead a simple existence up in New Foundland. Iceberg events are big news for them. This was their last berg related event (with another water theft mentioned too):
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/m...land-dildo

Oh...dear! In my defence, I did try not to laugh, just very unsuccessfully.. Big Grin  Big Grin

"It was a calm spring day when Canadian photographer Ken Pretty spotted an interestingly shaped 30ft iceberg off Newfoundland’s east coast.

As he flew his drone overhead, Pretty, who hails from the town of Dildo, realized the hulk of ice bore a distinct resemblance to a characteristic part of the male human anatomy."