Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PM's sister in law works for big tobacco
My, how very surprising... Rolleyes Big Grin

The PM has admitted his sister in law works for a tobacco company but says he has not discussed tobacco policy with her. I'm sure we all believe that, don't we... Rolleyes

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/508...co-company
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
You cannot choose your rellies though. Poor woman, fancy having that PM as a bil.
He may not have discussed policy with the SIL but I would put money on she's facilitated the odd meeting for some others on big tobacco payroll...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Doesn't mean that it's a conflict of interest for Luxon.
But big tobacco know cigarettes are a thing of the past, but hey they have got everyone hooked on vaping which the last government did little to nothing to address.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Everyone? I don't think so. Just those who have addictive tendencies and chose to ignore the research freely available these days.
Luxon may not have discussed the issue with his sister in law, bit there's no shortage of information available on vaping & its effects.

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2014/03/20/sim...igarettes/

"The early data on e-cigarettes show them to be as good as, or marginally better than nicotine replacement therapy in helping smokers to stop. Which is sad to say that so far, they are about as unsuccessful as NRT for the great majority who use them.  
All tobacco transnationals now have launched or acquired e-cigarettes lines. As they have done this, none has made statements about their goals of actively working to decrease cigarette sales. And tellingly, none has desisted from aggressively opposing effective tobacco control policy.

Only the most naïve or captured advocates for vaping could fail to acknowledge that the tobacco industry wants people who vape to smoke and vape, not vape instead of smoking. 
Big Tobacco has already started buying out e-cigarette minnows, and shutting out competition via patent law actions. Here it is following its global playbook in buying up almost all national tobacco companies

Big Tobacco must think all its Christmases have come at once. E-cigarettes may allow it to profit from nicotine addiction around the clock: in places when you can’t smoke, you should be able to vape, it argues. Restrained from using flavours in cigarettes in some nations, e-cigs offer a cornucopia of kiddie-friendly flavours familiar at pre-schoolers’ birthday parties. With tobacco advertising banned, e-cigarettes have opened the door to all the old themes and allowed the fully market researched semiotics of smoking to be reborn. Those arguing that there will not be any major collateral benefits in this for tobacco companies via smoking are indubitably myopic. "

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/profess...ks-with-va

"Rarely has a plan been put on hold so sharply.

Details of a scheme to offer pharmacies incentives to order vapes backed by one of the biggest players in the Big Tobacco industry were outlined in correspondence sent out by PharmaPrograms.

The IT solutions company, which works with the pharmaceutical industry, described how pharmacies could receive a $275 ‘readiness payment’ after ordering at least $250 worth of stock of VEEV pods and devices supported by Philip Morris International.

The leaked letter, which has been seen by newsGP, was signed by ‘Kos’, believed to be former Pharmacy Guild president Kos Sclavos, who works for PharmaPrograms.

Further details were revealed publicly for the first time by NewsCorp this Tuesday, including a proposal for a $5 fee for when pharmacists refer customers to a doctor for a vaping product prescription, $10 for educating a customer about the VEEV device, and a $5 payment every time a new script is dispensed.

Once the details came out, the outcry was swift from a range of health groups, including anti-smoking group Quit Victoria, as well as the RACGP and the Australian Medical Association.

RACGP President Adjunct Professor Karen Price called it ‘nothing short of appalling’ and urged pharmacists not to sign up.

‘What we essentially have here is a health organisation working hand-in-hand with a tobacco giant responsible for the deaths of millions and millions of people to incentivise pharmacists into pushing a harmful vaping product,’ she said."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
People don't research though. Despite having free access to vastly more human knowledge than ever before, folk just don't bother.

All that tech is just wasted on most people.
(04-02-2024, 08:26 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: People don't research though. Despite having free access to vastly more human knowledge than ever before, folk just don't bother.

All that tech is just wasted on most people.

And too, you'd think that, in view of recent findings with regard to health & the behaviour of big tobacco, any reasonably moral govt could manage an extremely loud FOYBOB!*

F*ck off you bunch of bastards. Rolleyes Big Grin