Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple Vision Pro
Is this the future of computing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvkgmyfMPks
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
How bizarre! Surely that would be quite confusing though.

But then, no doubt they'll modify/improve it more in the future.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Yet Google glass failed, I know what I would rather wear down the street.
Yeah looking like a dick/drongo on the street is a big negative.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(05-02-2024, 01:45 PM)zqwerty Wrote: Yeah looking like a dick/drongo on the street is a big negative.

It looks like you are wearing a pair of welding, ski or lazer goggles. Thought they would kind of come up with something a bit more fashionable to be honest.
(05-02-2024, 01:45 PM)zqwerty Wrote: Yeah looking like a dick/drongo on the street is a big negative.

A generation ago having a private phone conversation in public was just for dicks and drongos but I think most people have got used to it now (although I still double take when someone next to me says "Hi"). In that video people seemed to understand what was going on.

(05-02-2024, 02:49 PM)nzoomed Wrote:

It looks like you are wearing a pair of welding, ski or lazer goggles. Thought they would kind of come up with something a bit more fashionable to be honest.

I'm sure the aesthetics will get better. Like the guy said at the end, that unit was the first and will be the worst. It can only be forward from there. I do feel a bit concerned that it's yet another technology that takes people away from the real world, but I guess to them that will be their real world.
Not a single phone in sight. Just two people living in the moment

https://i.redd.it/dn3hj0xd8kgc1.jpeg
(05-02-2024, 02:57 PM)SueDonim Wrote:

A generation ago having a private phone conversation in public was just for dicks and drongos but I think most people have got used to it now (although I still double take when someone next to me says "Hi"). In that video people seemed to understand what was going on.

(05-02-2024, 02:49 PM)nzoomed Wrote: It looks like you are wearing a pair of welding, ski or lazer goggles. Thought they would kind of come up with something a bit more fashionable to be honest.

I'm sure the aesthetics will get better. Like the guy said at the end, that unit was the first and will be the worst. It can only be forward from there. I do feel a bit concerned that it's yet another technology that takes people away from the real world, but I guess to them that will be their real world.

The concept is great I agree, looks a bit like a VR headset, it's essentially augmented reality. 
If they can make a unit that resembles something more like a pair of sunglasses, I'm all in.

The best thing about it is not having to hold your phone in your hand, but at the same time as you say, it's just another thing taking you away from the real world and we all spend way too much time on our devices these days.

So many people adults included on their phones looking at Facebook around the dinner table.
Now there will be no way to tell lol.
Great if you're not self conscious about doing random actions in public. The privacy issues this raises is another negative and was a significant reason in the failure of Google Glasses from what I remember. Try walking into a public toilet or camera restricted area with these and you're going to strike problems.
If you want to see where tech like this could go then read The Commonwealth Saga by Peter F Hamilton. Where you can message, chat, look up information etc all through your own retinas. Memory cells installed in your head recording your memories so if you "body loss" they can be downloaded to a new clone body.

As for this ? Yeah no one is buying this or at least not in big numbers.
I'd like to think that eventually, technology might actually manage to prevent us from behaving like idiots...but given our past & present behaviour it seems highly unlikely.

Someone, somewhere will surely come up with some use for this which was never intended.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(06-02-2024, 10:56 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: If you want to see where tech like  this could go then read The Commonwealth Saga by Peter F Hamilton.  Where you can message, chat, look up information etc all through your own  retinas.  Memory cells installed in your head recording your memories so if you "body loss" they can be downloaded to a new clone body.

As for this ?  Yeah no one is buying this or at least not in big numbers.

That brings into question Neuralink.
The technology has massive positive implications for disabled people, but I'm not sure people would line up to implant a chip in their brain simply to connect to their devices.
I think we are a very long way away from uploading our minds to the cloud however. 
I must say having a virtual world to plug into like the matrix would be fun, but I'm not keen on the idea of having brain surgery to achieve that!
I see that there are other ways that are being explored to communicate with the brain wirelessly though, not sure if it's possible, but I remember that Sony got a patent for using ultrasound to send signals to the brain, but I'm not sure how that would work, goodness knows what health implications there would be.
(06-02-2024, 01:09 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(06-02-2024, 10:56 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: If you want to see where tech like  this could go then read The Commonwealth Saga by Peter F Hamilton.  Where you can message, chat, look up information etc all through your own  retinas.  Memory cells installed in your head recording your memories so if you "body loss" they can be downloaded to a new clone body.

The technology has massive positive implications for disabled people, but I'm not sure people would line up to implant a chip in their brain simply to connect to their devices.
I think we are a very long way away from uploading our minds to the cloud however. 
I must say having a virtual world to plug into like the matrix would be fun, but I'm not keen on the idea of having brain surgery to achieve that!
I see that there are other ways that are being explored to communicate with the brain wirelessly though, not sure if it's possible, but I remember that Sony got a patent for using ultrasound to send signals to the brain, but I'm not sure how that would work, goodness knows what health implications there would be.
I've watched enough episodes of Black Mirror with mind melding type scenarios to be very wary of moves in that direction.
(06-02-2024, 01:09 PM)nzoomed Wrote:

Those books were based 500 years in the future and the later ones another 500.  Nauralink could be great for people with spinal injuries or  amputations connected to a linked prosthetic limb.
Tesla owners told not to wear Apple virtual reality headsets while driving

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-68215614
Lol, was only a matter of time
Apple Vision Pro Could Take Four Generations to Reach 'Ideal Form'

https://www.macrumors.com/2024/02/11/app...ion-ideal/
Apple fans are starting to return their Vision Pros

https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/14/24072...rs-returns