Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David Seymour 'doesn't believe' Luxons comments
How odd - a politician not believing a fellow politician!  Rolleyes Big Grin

And seriously - 'All politicians are mindful of what the public wants??!'

Only if it suits them, though.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/...-bill.html

"ACT leader David Seymour is refusing to back down on his controversial Treaty Principles Bill, saying he believes the Prime Minister's opinion can be changed.   
Seymour believes Prime Minister Christopher Luxon was "nervous" after Waitangi and could still back his Treaty Principles Bill despite ruling out doing so.   
But questions remain about why the Bill is even getting to the Select Committee stage if National won't support it beyond its first reading.   
Luxon doubled down on his party's stance of not supporting ACT's proposal beyond first reading on Wednesday. New Zealand First is also in National's corner.  
The Prime Minister also said National wouldn't support the Bill beyond the first reading even if there is a massive groundswell of support for it.   

But Seymour is undeterred by Luxon's comments and came out with fighting words when he joined AM on Thursday morning.   
"I mean, last week, he wouldn't rule out supporting it further, yesterday he would. I think perhaps he got a bit nervous after Waitangi," he told AM co-host Lloyd Burr.   
But there was one part of Luxon's comments that Seymour said he didn't believe.   
"But ultimately the bit I don't believe is he won't change his mind if the public really wants it," he said.   
"All politicians are very mindful of what the public wants, and I've seen polls published in the Herald that said that 60 percent of New Zealanders agree with what we're saying on the Treaty, 18 percent disagree, they want this debate. " 
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I can't wait to see this coalition implode when the final nail is in the coffin...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(08-02-2024, 11:54 AM)king1 Wrote: I can't wait to see this coalition implode when the final nail is in the coffin...
Likewise. There's enough animosity and infighting going on already (which was completely expected and predicted) but put a decent natural (or other) disaster, violent event (terrorism) or other stressor into the mix and the coalition will fly to bits pretty much instantly.
I think some toys will be thrown out of cots once Mr Seymours Treaty Principles Bill gets to the Select Committee stage and Mr Luxon actually does what he has always said he will do.

Seymours ilk don't like 'no' but they will quite happily wait as long as they think they can change / incentivise / coerce / bully someone into submission...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
If he doesn't believe the comments, is he suggesting the PM is lying?
Luxon, lie?? Surely you jest Rolleyes
(08-02-2024, 12:45 PM)harm_less Wrote: Luxon, lie?? Surely you jest Rolleyes

Who could suggest that a fine christian like our current PM could lie? There are all those other christians in cabinet, too - they're bound to keep him in line. Aren't they...?
I do have other cameras!
(08-02-2024, 01:11 PM)Praktica Wrote:
(08-02-2024, 12:45 PM)harm_less Wrote: Luxon, lie?? Surely you jest Rolleyes

Who could suggest that a fine christian like our current PM could lie? There are all those other christians in cabinet, too - they're bound to keep him in line. Aren't they...?

Well - they're probably praying that they're able to.... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I think Luxon agrees with it, but knows its going to ruffle a few feathers and would rather make it a conscience vote im suspecting.
That way he can pass the buck over to Seymour while at the same time staying clear of the policy as being a national policy.
Not too sure why NZF dont support it, im a bit disappointed, but I think they have a different approach. It could also be that they support the bill if its rewritten, time will tell.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(08-02-2024, 03:04 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I think Luxon agrees with it, but knows its going to ruffle a few feathers and would rather make it a conscience vote im suspecting.
That way he can pass the buck over to Seymour while at the same time staying clear of the policy as being a national policy.
Not too sure why NZF dont support it, im a bit disappointed, but I think they have a different approach. It could also be that they support the bill if its rewritten, time will tell.

He's very clearly passing the buck to Seymour & backing away as much as he possibly can; this govt have got one hell of a shock at the resistance to what Seymour wants & while I'm inclined to agree Luxon is likely very much in favour of it, he's more in favour of remainging in power & as popular as possible so will probably continue to distance himself & National as much as possible.
New Zealanders are on the whole a fair and honest bunch. I think we are baulking at the very idea of reneging on a deal that is very definitely at the core of this nation. And no matter what weasel words are being used to describe this, reneging is what it is all about.

And what's worse, I don't think the original idea came from a New Zealander. I think this is part of a wider international campaign arising much further north. Remember that Ozzie referendum?
(09-02-2024, 07:55 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: New Zealanders are on the whole a fair and honest bunch. I think we are baulking at the very idea of reneging on a deal that is very definitely at the core of this nation. And no matter what weasel words are being used to describe this, reneging is what it is all about.

And what's worse, I don't think the original idea came from a New Zealander. I think this is part of a wider international campaign arising much further north. Remember that Ozzie referendum?

Indeed; there are some devious,evil bastards in this world who don't balk at sticking their fingers into the affaits of other countries.