Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Half of Gaza destroyed
At least half of Gaza's buildings have been damaged or destroyed. The images with the article are stunning.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68006607

"More than half of Gaza's buildings have been damaged or destroyed since Israel launched its retaliation for the Hamas attacks of 7 October, new analysis seen by the BBC reveals.
Detailed before-and-after imagery also shows how the bombardment of southern and central Gaza has intensified since the start of December, with the city of Khan Younis bearing much of the brunt of Israel's military action.
Israel has repeatedly told Gazans to move south for their own safety.
Across Gaza, residential areas have been left ruined, previously busy shopping streets reduced to rubble, universities destroyed and farmlands churned up, with tent cities springing up on the southern border to house many thousands of people left homeless.
About 1.7 million people - more than 80% of Gaza's population - are displaced, with nearly half crammed in the far southern end of the strip, according to the United Nations.
Further analysis, by BBC Verify, reveals the scale of destruction of farmland, identifying multiple areas of extensive damage.

The IDF has repeatedly justified its actions by noting that Hamas deliberately embeds itself in civilian areas and explained destruction of buildings in the light of targeting fighters. But questions have been asked about destruction of buildings seemingly firmly in the control of the IDF.
One example was the Israa University, in northern Gaza - initially badly damaged shortly before being blown up completely in what looked like a massive controlled explosion. The video was widely shared on social media and the IDF says the approval process for the blast is now being investigated.
Mr Scher, one of the academics who worked on the Gaza damage assessment, said it stands out compared with other war zones he's analysed.
"We've done work over Ukraine, we've also looked at Aleppo and other cities, but the extent and the pace of damage is remarkable. I've never seen this much damage appear so quickly."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
A famous quote comes to mind:

"Sow the wind - reap the whirlwind."
(11-02-2024, 01:38 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: A famous quote comes to mind:

Hamas must have known very well what the Israeli response would be.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(11-02-2024, 02:13 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(11-02-2024, 01:38 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: A famous quote comes to mind:

Hamas must have known very well what the Israeli response would be.

Of course- but then much if their upper leadership don't live in Gaza.  Just shows Hamas care less for those in Gaza that Israel does.
Yes if Hamas had left well alone it's quite likely that things would still be relatively calm with occasional infringements by both sides but Hamas's actions went more than a step too far for Israel to do anything other than a large scale retaliation I'm afraid.

Many innocent and powerless people are paying the ultimate price because Hamas returned to barbarism in this case and Israel had to make an example.

The hatred of both sides towards the other knows no bounds. Since both sides are indoctrinating their children from birth I see no hope that they will ever embrace a modern humanistic outlook and come to peaceful terms with each other.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(11-02-2024, 04:06 PM)zqwerty Wrote: Yes if Hamas had left well alone it's quite likely that things would still be relatively calm with occasional infringements by both sides but Hamas's actions went more than a step too far for Israel to do anything other than a large scale retaliation I'm afraid.

Many innocent and powerless people are paying the ultimate price because Hamas returned to barbarism in this case and Israel had to make an example.

The hatred of both sides towards the other knows no bounds.  Since both sides are indoctrinating their children from birth I see no hope that they will ever embrace a modern humanistic outlook and come to peaceful terms with each other.

Getting rid of the Israeli govt would be an excellent move, but easier said than done. They have no compunction about the number of Palestinians who die as a result of their actions, much as the Rusian leader has none in Ukraine.

Idiot boys in charge isn't good for anyone.