Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SATA SSD's a thing of the past?
I regularly buy these at PB tech, but was in there yesterday and they tell me they only had the Samsung EVO series available and that cruicial and kingston, etc are going out of producing them.
He said to me that NVME is replacing them and they are being phased out.
Now I think he might be telling me BS right here, as SATA is not going away any time soon, and lots of people are upgrading their working machines over to SSDs.
I looked on their website and appears they will be back in stock late march.
I expect its just a supply shortage or something?
yeah I find that hard to believe - but I must say I have noticed a bit of a slow down in folks wanting to spend the money on upgrading hdd to sata ssd, presumably because of the win 10 end of support next year...

I guess it will come down to how many of the older pcs that qualify for win 11 upgrade came with sata HDDs that could be upgraded to SSD.

I can see Sata SSDs taking over mechanical hdds in the large storage format, I mean ssds must be cheaper to produce than the big old mechanical beasts... They just need to come down in price a bit

NVME will always have a price premium over sata ssd because of the performance gains, so for a while at least sata ssds might be used for secondary drives...

Now I could see the sata m.2 variety being discontinued, it's already pretty much gone now, maybe the PB chimp was getting confused with that. half them wouldn't know the distinction between m.2 nvme and sata
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
as an aside I generally only ever use the samsung evos, they have plenty of stock of them, 250gb is a bit low but it's only another $10 or so for 500GB. Not a fan of crucial or kingston myself

Still use them all the time, supplier has plenty. Same with the M.2's Plenty about and regularly restocked.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
(13-02-2024, 10:48 AM)king1 Wrote: yeah I find that hard to believe -  but I must say I have noticed a bit of a slow down in folks wanting to spend the money on upgrading hdd to sata ssd, presumably because of the win 10 end of support next year...

I guess it will come down to how many of the older pcs that qualify for win 11 upgrade came with sata HDDs that could be upgraded to SSD.

I can see Sata SSDs taking over mechanical hdds in the large storage format, I mean ssds must be cheaper to produce than the big old mechanical beasts... They just need to come down in price a bit

NVME will always have a price premium over sata ssd because of the performance gains, so for a while at least sata ssds might be used for secondary drives...

Now I could see the sata m.2 variety being discontinued, it's already pretty much gone now, maybe the PB chimp was getting confused with that.  half them wouldn't know the distinction between m.2 nvme and sata
That will definitely change things for sure with the end of win10 support.
In fact it might see many more people forced to upgrade their PCs in coming years, there are a ton of older machines running windows 10, ive even come across someone that installed win11 on a core 2 machine with the hack. Didnt run very well!
Funny you say about the SATA m.2 drives.
I got caught out once on a laptop that i thought was using an NVME drive, but was actually using a SATA drive and was only when i come to install the drive and discovered that the notch was missing that it had a SATA drive installed, was very difficult to find one and had to shop around, and that was about 2 years ago.

(13-02-2024, 10:54 AM)king1 Wrote: as an aside I generally only ever use the samsung evos, they have plenty of stock of them, 250gb is a bit low but it's only another $10 or so for 500GB.  Not a fan of crucial or kingston myself
I agree Samsung is typically the best brand, I used to use them alot, but cost wise the cruicial and kingston drives are almost half the price.
Ironically ive never had any fail for me yet, but i have had a handful of samsungs fail for me, including a samsung pro. Still way more reliable than an HDD though.
Tried to buy an IDE lately :-)
SATA SSD will of course be phased out , as the market for them dries up.
A few techies buying them wont be enough to justify the major brands keeping them in production.

Im sure some of the brands will keep selling them for quite some time, but prices might crank up as they get less popular .
You'll most likely get a m.2 to SATA adaptor as you can now to IDE to SATA.
(19-02-2024, 07:19 PM)1101 Wrote: Tried to buy an IDE lately :-)
SATA SSD will of course be phased out , as the market for them dries up.
A few techies buying them wont be enough to justify the major brands keeping them in production.

Im sure some of the brands will keep selling them for quite some time, but prices might crank up as they get less popular .
I would have thought that as long as SATA ports are a thing on motherboards, then SATA SSDs would be around.
I would have thought that we would be seeing more larger SATA SSDs in place of hard disks with the advancements we are seeing with flash memory. Cost per GB has come down a long way.
I can't see it happening yet
Plenty of people people want multiple drives and you can only fit so many NVME slots on a motherboard, SATA ports are much smaller.
WIn10,11...LOL.
Really? I still have an old sata drive, it's not SSD even.
Of course the MB is a bit old now too, 14 years this year. Even the bios battery is still happy. The joy of Linux.
(11-03-2024, 06:35 PM)piroska Wrote: WIn10,11...LOL.
Of course the MB is a bit old now too, 14 years this year. Even the bios battery is still happy. The joy of Linux.

I have to say,  Linux is not making your bios battery last longer, or the motherboard for that matter...  But it does sound like you've had a good run out of it so all good...

(11-03-2024, 06:35 PM)piroska Wrote: WIn10,11...LOL.

What has Linux got to do with SATA Connections, absolutely NOTHING.
Linux is quite a bit more efficient than Windows in my experience. And it doesn't have so much background stuff going on... There's no Windows updates, .Net optimization, telemetry, defrag, etc, running half the time.

So even an old SATA HDD doesn't run too badly, there's so much less disk activity.
(12-03-2024, 09:03 PM)Agent_24 Wrote: Linux is quite a bit more efficient than Windows in my experience. And it doesn't have so much background stuff going on... There's no Windows updates, .Net optimization, telemetry, defrag, etc, running half the time.

So even an old SATA HDD doesn't run too badly, there's so much less disk activity.

Of course theres no windows updates, its not windows, BUT there are just as many Linux Updates. One of my linux installs had been crashing every damn day, ( usually after its almost daily updates, in the end removed the useless OS, ( linux Mint) and the other day I had to leave a VM updating over night when there was over a GB of updates.
Linux is not a stable as many make out. Of course theres so many different distros theres nothing consistent. AND many answers to fixing Linux is reinstall it -- finding actual any real help is useless, again so many distros and most are different in repairs.
(12-03-2024, 09:37 PM)Wainuitech Wrote:
(12-03-2024, 09:03 PM)Agent_24 Wrote: Linux is quite a bit more efficient than Windows in my experience. And it doesn't have so much background stuff going on... There's no Windows updates, .Net optimization, telemetry, defrag, etc, running half the time.

Of course theres no windows updates, its not windows, BUT there are just as many Linux Updates. One of my linux installs had been crashing every damn day, ( usually after its almost daily updates, in the end removed the useless OS, ( linux Mint) and the other day I had to leave a VM updating over night when there was over a GB of updates.
Linux is not a stable as many make out. Of course theres so many different distros theres nothing consistent. AND many answers to fixing Linux is reinstall it -- finding actual any real help is useless, again so many distros and most are different in repairs.

i've been running an Ubuntu VM for several months now, hosting a seafile server - I must say that thing bugs me every other day about updates of one form or another.  At least windows generally has the decency to limit them to once a month...

(12-03-2024, 09:37 PM)Wainuitech Wrote:

I run Xubuntu on all my desktops basically and I don't have that kind of issue. Runs pretty damn stable for me unless I do something stupid or there's a genuine bug (happened a couple of times, but rare)

Yes there are often updates for things in Linux but they install very quickly and don't force a reboot either, so, much less hassle than Windows update. My point is that package updates in Linux are usually a lot faster than updates in Windows, because Windows Update seems to spend half an hour "preparing updates" "Getting things ready" etc and otherwise messing around, then fails and rolls back for another half an hour because it found a registry key that it didn't like the look of, or something equally silly.

Meanwhile Linux with synaptic package manager or apt in the terminal just gets on with it and it's done in a few minutes, and doesn't force you to reboot, either.

I haven't used Mint so I don't know what the quality is like, some distros do operate more bleeding edge and are prone to breakage, which is part of why is use LTS releases.

Yes Linux is more complicated with all its variants and troubleshooting can be harder if you don't know what's going on with your specific distro, but a user who has never troubleshot Windows is going to have a bad time as well.

It's easy to forget how confusing things were as a beginner once you have years and years of knowledge. Windows isn't magically easier to fix if you don't know anything about it.

(09-05-2024, 12:14 PM)king1 Wrote: i've been running an Ubuntu VM for several months now, hosting a seafile server - I must say that thing bugs me every other day about updates of one form or another.  At least windows generally has the decency to limit them to once a month...

Microsoft releases updates more often than monthly, it's just you've configured Windows to ignore them for that long. You could also turn off update notification in Linux if you really wanted to. Not that I'd recommend it.