Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A bequest from one, jail for tax evasion for another
Came across these - two very different aspects of human nature.

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/campu...ago-alumni

"A University of Otago alumnus’ estate has bequest $3.8 million to support students and research.
The Alumni of the University of Otago in America received its largest donation ever from the late radiologist Dr John Stewart.
The first initiative established through the gift was the John M. Stewart Scholarship which was to be awarded for the first time this month.
The scholarship would support undergraduate Health Sciences students.
Dr Stewart graduated with a Bachelor in Medicine and Bachelor in Surgery from the university in 1966.
After completing internships and residencies in New Zealand and beginning his career in Australia, Dr Stewart moved to the United States accepting a dual position at the Medical College of Wisconsin and the Milwaukee County general Hospital.

Later he moved to Caribou, Maine where he worked at Cary Medical Centre for 35 years.
Dr Stewart was diagnosed with cancer in 2004 and took part in several cancer research trials.
His daughters, Alison and Hermione said Dr Stewart was passionate about cancer research in particular and it was the main reason he wanted to give to the University of Otago.
Going through medical trials for years was not easy for him.
However, he never complained because he knew participating in them would potentially help others.

He had no desire to buy expensive clothes or cars, he just wanted his money to go on education, learning experiences, and items that lasted.
"I know he would be happy to know that his gift would be going towards students of any background that are hard-working, studious and focused on their study," Alison said.

Applicants for the scholarship were to be enrolled in at least their second year of undergraduate study towards a Health Sciences professional programme.
The scholarship would waver annual tuition fees for up to five years of study."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/bay-of-plenty...2JQ2JO5BM/

"A Maungatapu man who admitted just over $50,000 of tax evasion offences has been jailed for a year.
Kiri Haggie, 55, who earlier pleaded guilty to four counts of tax evasion, one count of making a false statement and two counts of failing to furnish tax returns, was sentenced in Tauranga District Court yesterday.

He was also ordered to pay $50,394 in reparation to Inland Revenue.
The offences were committed over five tax years between April 1, 2006 and March 31, 2011 while Haggie was operating a painting and plastering business, with $50,394 of PAYE and GST being evaded. Haggie, who was adjudicated bankrupt in 2006, initially denied the charges.

His lawyer, Glenn Barnett, said Haggie got into financial difficulties and when Inland Revenue contacted him, he effectively "buried his head in the sand", which was compounded by his low level of literacy."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
And they say higher education is a waste.
(14-02-2024, 02:37 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: And they say higher education is a waste.

I don't think education is ever wasted - I think that 'they' have no clue what the hell they're talking about.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Interesting though how 8n the examples you give, the educated man gives, the uneducated one takes. Education opens more than just minds.
(14-02-2024, 07:10 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Interesting though how 8n the examples you give, the educated man gives, the uneducated one takes. Education opens more than just minds.

It does, its undervalued however by most govts except as a means of making profits.
Dogs are right - humans are nuts! Rolleyes