Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Countdown store closed for a 4th day as more rats found.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/dunedin-su...fjEAi5lufY
Someone theorised jokingly that it might be that the rodents are courtesy of their competition...

And on a more serious note..

https://www.odt.co.nz/star-news/star-chr...e-problems

“If this is isolated to just certain players in the industry, then it’s not an industry crisis, but a company that has different systems which is being viewed as guilty by association because they belong to the same industry,” Laufer said.
“When people see images of rats or mice [in supermarkets] on TV, or videos, or in the newspaper, that’s very, very damaging, and in terms of customers and potential customers.
“If they have options, they’re much more likely to say, ‘I have a Countdown nearby, but there’s a New World not far away, maybe it’s better to go there’. So that’s a that’s the big risk for Countdown.”
He said in the fallout of such incidents, it was important for the supermarket giants to convince the public they have made a major change in the way they operate in order to prevent this from happening again.
He said it was likely management were trying to track down the employee who leaked the image of rats in the deli to media, to figure out why they didn’t feel comfortable talking to management.
“I don’t think that person will put their hands up anytime soon,” he said.
He said he didn’t think the highly public nature of the story was affecting morale, and rather staff were relieved the situation was getting the attention it deserved.
“From what I’ve been told, they’ve been raising the alarm for a while and they hadn’t really been listened to, they’ve been a bit frustrated,” Wilson said.
“The situation is improving... I think the actions the company and [the pest control company] have been taking have had an effect. They’ll hopefully have the store back open as possibly the cleanest Countdown in the entire country.”
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Lucky, they will rebrand that store Woolworths.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Well the competition is not immune either, looks like rodents have been spotted in some North island foodstuffs supermarkets too and pigeons are making their way inside an Auckland countdown eating food off the shelves.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/supermarke...D4VGB5AXU/

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/supermarke...GFB7RPL3I/
I guess it must be hard times for all creatures.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(17-02-2024, 07:38 AM)Zurdo Wrote: I guess it must be hard times for all creatures.

They've clearly heard about this new Govt & are making hay while the sun shines... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
We didn't have to worry about rodents in the Upper Hutt Countdown. But we may have to in future .Locals mourn death of Angus the Countdown Cat; he was a cute cat.
https://www.thepost.co.nz › nz-news › locals-mourn-d...
30 Jan 2024 — One of Upper Hutt's most popular residents, Angus the Countdown Cat, has died. Locals say he will be greatly missed.
At least cats would keep the rodents down!
I got a video I took a few years ago of a friendly neighborhood cat that entered our new world store, done know who owned it, but it was hanging around a bit
(19-02-2024, 10:29 AM)nzoomed Wrote: At least cats would keep the rodents down!
I got a video I took a few years ago of a friendly neighborhood cat that entered our new world store, done know who owned it, but it was hanging around a bit

It might not be a bad idea for every supermarket to have a cat or two... Smile
Once upon a time it would have been commonplace to have a cat to keep the rodent population down and also the older generations would have put out traps off their own bat at the first hint of rodents roaming the supermarket alas present day last few generations in general have no interest in doing a good job and let the side down all the time.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(19-02-2024, 11:20 AM)zqwerty Wrote: Once upon a time it would have been commonplace to have a cat to keep the rodent population down and also the older generations would have put out traps off their our bat at the first hint of rodents roaming the supermarket alas present day last few generations in general have no interest in doing a good job and let the side down all the time.

If you go back far enough in time, cats were primarily kept for rodent control rather than pets, especially on ships.
(19-02-2024, 12:58 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(19-02-2024, 11:20 AM)zqwerty Wrote: Once upon a time it would have been commonplace to have a cat to keep the rodent population down and also the older generations would have put out traps off their our bat at the first hint of rodents roaming the supermarket alas present day last few generations in general have no interest in doing a good job and let the side down all the time.

If you go back far enough in time, cats were primarily kept for rodent control rather than pets, especially on ships.

They think that's how cats first endeared themselves to humans, by helping kill mice which would try to eat the wheat or other crops in early times.

And so eventually, they enslaved us... Rolleyes  Big Grin

I have a cat. A cat who is an expert at spotting a sucker when she sees one. So, I have a cat. Big Grin
(19-02-2024, 12:58 PM)nzoomed Wrote:

My late Dad and his BIL (my uncle) were Dutch immigrants who both struggled with the NZ concept of cats in the home. Their approach was that dogs belonged in the house partly on a security basis whereas cats belonged outdoors to deal with vermin.