Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13 years sinec the quakes
Where the hell that time went I've no clue. No mention of the ugliness of some of the buildings, or the tumbleweeds blowing through the almost deserted square... Rolleyes

https://www.thepress.co.nz/nz-news/35018...led-claims

'It’s been 12 years since lawyer Grant Shand first took action against the Toka Tū Ake Earthquake Commission (EQC) on behalf of Christchurch residents with quake-damaged homes, but he’s still frustrated by the process in 2024.

Shand - who is currently working on two class action cases against the EQC - believes the organisation is “back to being very difficult to deal with settled claims.”
He has described a delay in processing all cases 13 years after the quakes as “terrible”.
The EQC has refuted that description, pointing out that no homeowners have been waiting 13 years to resolve claims from its scheme and that when old claims are re-opened, the organisation makes it a priority to resolve them “quickly and efficiently.”
There are still original earthquake claims from 2010/2011 against EQC and insurers. EQC continues to reopen claims,” said Shand.
“EQC is dragging out the claims. There are hundreds of people in the EQC on-sold programme that are not yet settled.”

https://www.thepress.co.nz/nz-news/35018...e#cxrecs_s

"Central Christchurch is like a beloved pet recovering from severe fur loss - it’s grown back new and glossy, but stubborn bald patches remain.

On the 13th earthquake anniversary, the city’s recovery has delivered fancy new precincts and buildings, walking and cycling paths and play areas, redesigned streets, and a parade of new apartments and townhouses.

Alongside sit vacant sections with weeds, damaged buildings awaiting rescue, and construction projects that seem to drag on."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=3578259589055232
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
The new face of Christchurch, so to speak is absolutely revolting, sterile and impersonal.

I avoid going anywhere near the C.B.D if I can.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(22-02-2024, 04:40 PM)zqwerty Wrote: The new face of Christchurch, so to speak is absolutely revolting, sterile and impersonal.

Yeah, me too. Its just all so grey & boring in there now, & so few people.

Mind you though, I'll be interested to see what happens with the building which once housed our Art school & several language schools, its a lovely old art deco building in Worcester st betwen the square & Manchester st. Its apparently being done up & turned into apartments for well off people so I'm hopeful they'll restore it properly.

The square's just depressing to see now when compared with the way it was. I suspect far too much say may have been given to developers.
The folk I know who had studio space in the arts centre? have each either died or moved on to other work spaces. Losing such renowned textile people does alter the craft landscape, and impoverish a city. It happened up here when rents got too high...
(22-02-2024, 04:40 PM)zqwerty Wrote: The new face of Christchurch, so to speak is absolutely revolting, sterile and impersonal.

Agreed, now with all the beautiful old buildings gone, city has lost so much of its character.
I miss that city, seems like yesterday when that quake happened.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.