Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accelerated axing of Maori health blindsides campaigners
It seems this govt simply cannot wait in their rush to make things worse. Dodgy

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/health/other/c...9ca1&ei=15

"Māori health campaigners say the Crown acted in bad faith when a last-minute date change to disestablish Te Aka Whai Ora Māori Health Authority put their chances of a Waitangi Tribunal inquiry in jeopardy.
Lady Tureiti Moxon and Janice Kuka were granted an urgent claim by the tribunal whether axing the agency went against treaty principles of tino rangatiratanga.
The hearing was previously set to begin on February 29, in recognition of the government’s plans to bring the legislation in by March 8.
But a memo from Crown lawyers on the night of February 22 alerted claimants the legislation could be tabled in Parliament as soon as Tuesday of next week – potentially cutting the hearing off at its knees. If a Bill is before the House, the tribunal is prevented by law from conducting an inquiry into it.
Notwithstanding the recent events that have impacted Parliament, counsel is instructed that introduction of the Bill could occur as early as 27 February 2024,” wrote Crown Law.
A Friday hearing was assembled quickly to determine whether the claimants could make their case before this new deadline, with Waitangi Tribunal Judge Kaiwhakawaa Damian Stone directing the Crown to give an update on whether the date can be delayed.
I acknowledge that these matters may be out of the Crown’s hands and veer into the political sphere, especially given that the order that Government bills are introduced into the House is determined by the Office of the Leader of the House,” he said.

However, to enable the Government to have the benefit of the outcomes of the Tribunal’s inquiry, and any associated findings and recommendations, the Crown may consider deferring the introduction of this legislation until the week ending 8 March 2024.”
Judge Stone said he was concerned the shorter timeframe could negatively impact the hearing process.
I am concerned that any further effort to truncate the hearing process in order to release a final decision by 27 February 2024 would risk the inquiry’s ability to conduct a reasonable and just hearing process.”

There is no good faith in what the Crown has done,” she said.
The Crown were asked by the Waitangi Tribunal in its directive as to when they anticipated that the Bill would introduced to Parliament.
The Crown basically said anytime between now and 8 March, so they didn’t indicate it was imminent at all, or give the Tribunal a courtesy heads-up until last night right on the eve of giving evidence due today, when they sent the memo saying that it will be February 27.”

She said there had been no transparency from the Crown despite the tribunal being open in its communication.
I believe that they’ve been very dismissive of the whole claim from day one and they haven’t really provided the information that the Waitangi Tribunal have asked for,” she said.
The National-led Government’s intention to disestablish Te Aka Whai Ora was outlined in the 100-day plan released by the coalition Government on November 29, 2023. The Government’s first 100 days in office ends on March 9, a day after the initial deadline it set itself to axe Te Aka Whai Ora.

“There’s no justice, there’s no good faith, there’s no transparency,” Moxon said.
“This whole process has engendered distrust in the Government. They’re just going ahead, irrespective of what anybody else thinks, yet we are their treaty partner, and they need to be reminded of that and shouldn’t be just ignored.”
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
See? Not just about te tiriti...
(24-02-2024, 10:24 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: See? Not just about te tiriti...

Its really difficult to avoid the conclusion that its all just very thinly disguised Maori bashing. And all the more repugnant given that two of those who seem keenest have Maori ancestry.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I once knew someone rather well, who insisted he was not Maori, despite his obvious genetic heritage which he passed on to several wonderful children. He had been born and raised in a small country town and gone to the local schools, and throughout that time been subject to racist bullying constantly. He got used to denial. I found his lack of pride in his heritage troubling, but then I'd been raised by people comfortable with their mixed ancestry, it is a very different kind of conditioning.

Lots of us inherit the attitudes of our families and social groups. The trick is to recognise the ones that hold us back and change what we can if it will make life easier. And it is the hardest thing in the world to do...
Good job, it's a waste of money and has no place in this country.
This government has zero tolerance for race based politics and I'm happy they are swift to take action.
Unfortunately it's cost alot of money to set up and will cost alot to wind it up, but the long term benefits and cost savings will make up for it.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Except, that now all those patients will transfer to the mainstream over burdened clinics and hospitals.
And those costs you mention will be at the expense of the already under funded mainstream.
Seems a very silly move considering the stress the health system is already under.

Unless of course it really was just about politics.
(28-02-2024, 07:44 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Except, that now all those patients will transfer to the mainstream over burdened clinics and hospitals.
And those costs you mention will be at the expense of the already under funded mainstream.
Seems a very silly move considering the stress the health system is already under.

Unless of course it really was just about politics.

Transfer from where? We don't have maori hospitals as far as I'm aware and I don't think any maori health clinics were even rolled out yet under the new authority.
What did happen though was that waiting list preference had to take your ethnicity into account, so you could potentially jump the queue if you were maori, lots of doctors were unhappy about it and were speaking out on how unfair it was.
As far as you are aware? Looks to me like there are/were a fair few services that are now threatened... https://www.teakawhaiora.nz/

So, is there going to be a concerted effort now to remove other preference qualifications, like gender - being female means preferential access to free mammograms or pregnancy care for instance. Or age - are children next? We could save heaps if we closed Starship and removed all that funding for childhood vax programmes...

Ethnicity is just another factor that means specific health concerns, backed up by unequivocal statistical evidence. Removing that supported focus means people with that ethnicity will die. That is the reality.
(29-02-2024, 07:56 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: As far as you are aware? Looks to me like there are/were a fair few services that are now threatened...  https://www.teakawhaiora.nz/

So, is there going to be a concerted effort now to remove other preference qualifications, like gender -  being female means preferential access to free mammograms or pregnancy care for instance. Or age - are children next? We could save heaps if we closed Starship and removed all that funding for childhood vax programmes...

Ethnicity is just another factor that means specific health concerns, backed up by unequivocal statistical evidence. Removing that supported focus means people with that ethnicity will die. That is the reality.

And even this govt cannot be so appallingly ignorant as to be unaware of that; they must understand what's now extremely likely to happen, so you have to wonder just what they'll blame it on since even this lot can hardly blame the previous govt for their actions.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if they did try to...
You're assuming that these policies are the product of thought - they aren't - they are the payoff for those who "contributed" to the rightwing nutters currently in power.
I do have other cameras!
Exactly. Our democracy is being undermined by lobbyists with deep pockets and politicians with empty promises.
(29-02-2024, 01:52 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Exactly. Our democracy is being undermined by lobbyists with deep pockets and politicians with empty promises.

And the thing is, they scarcely bother to disguise it; the links with big tobacco are especially obvious. Dodgy
Trumpisms. Deny. Deny. Deny. Brazen liars, and the prople, it appears are helpless to stop them, until the next election round.

Still, at least we don't have a convicted con man sex pest standing for the highest office in the land...
(29-02-2024, 02:27 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Trumpisms. Deny. Deny. Deny. Brazen liars, and the prople, it appears are helpless to stop them, until the next election round.

Still, at least we don't have a convicted con man sex pest standing for the highest office in the land...

Yet....
Democracy in action removing race based healthcare, nothing to see here.
Meanwhile the maoris kick out their pakeha GP in Kaitaia, sickening.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-advo...ELBH2QXTE/
'Democracy in action' my nether regions.

This govt. is doing their best to destroy any chance Maori have to reach a stage of equity with everyone else, particularly with regard to health.
(06-03-2024, 10:58 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: 'Democracy in action' my nether regions.

This govt. is doing their best to destroy any chance Maori have to reach a stage of equity with everyone else, particularly with regard to health.

More than half of NZ voted for this govt and this govt also has a record number of maori ministers.
(06-03-2024, 12:09 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:

More than half of NZ voted for this govt and this govt also has a record number of maori ministers.

I'm not sure too many of those maori ministers are there to represent Maori interests...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup

It certainly has a few claiming to be Maori. Despite appearances.

Uncle Toms.....
I do have other cameras!