Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gang patches to be banned
Which will make govt & the police look as if they're 'getting tough'  on gangs - & it has to be said, that a large-ish group of gang members all wearing their insignia can definitely be daunting  - but you have to wonder how long its going to take the gangs to come up with some sort of alternative.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-news/35019150...-crackdown

"Police would be given the power to issue dispersal notices, requiring gang members to immediately leave an area. They would then not be allowed to see each other for seven days.
Courts would be able to issue non-consorting orders, "which will stop specified gang offenders from associating or communicating with one another for up to three years", Goldsmith said.
"The law will also be changed to give greater weight to gang membership as an aggravating factor at sentencing, enabling courts to impose more severe punishments."

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/12/21/analy...ady-exist/

"We also need to ask whether the new anti-gang measures breach fundamental principles such as human rights.
These are part of New Zealand law, through the New Zealand Bill of Rights Act 1990 and the common law. They also reflect international standards that New Zealand has agreed to respect.
Everyone has the right to freedom of expression, which includes proclaiming gang affiliation. There is also the right to associate with others, and to assemble peacefully.
But all of these rights have to be balanced against other interests.
The Bill of Rights Act sums this up by allowing “reasonable limits” that “can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society”.

Essentially, legislation that restricts rights requires a legitimate purpose. This is usually easy to show. But it is also necessary to consider whether such restrictions work and do so in a way that is proportionate to the breach of rights.

We have an idea what the courts might say. For example, in Morse v Police, the Supreme Court decided burning the New Zealand flag during an Anzac Day parade to protest New Zealand involvement in Afghanistan was not offensive behaviour, because it did not go beyond what people should be expected to tolerate in a democracy.
And in Schubert v Wanganui District Council, the High Court decided the ban on gang patches in all public places in the district went too far; the evidence did not show that something more tailored would have been as effective."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Silly buggers. What a waste of time.
Might be an interesting piece on this subject on TVNZ's Sunday program tonight. My thought are that it will suck dry Police resources in an attempt to achieve the impossible as the gangs just formulate another strategy.
What is a gang ? Most of these ''gangs'' will be legal entities, an incorporated club. Ulysses, Destiny, HOG, Triumph Owners Club, where will they draw the line ? There will be real anger at the Police...shit is going to hit the fan.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(25-02-2024, 05:58 PM)Zurdo Wrote: What is a gang ?  Most of these ''gangs'' will be legal entities, an incorporated club. Ulysses, Destiny, HOG, Triumph Owners Club, where will they draw the line ?  There will be real anger at the Police...shit is going to hit the fan.

I'm sure quite a few would like to see the McBishop & his gang, Destiny given some attention... Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I am considering buying a leather jacket.
I gave mine to my daughter...leather shrinks badly. Still have my leather trou, can't even get a leg in them. Burned my cutoff DJ back in the '70's.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Interesting definitions coming up...what is a gang? What is a gang patch? Would a shirt in a particular pattern or colour be a gang patch? If the National party has a parade of people in blue t shirts and their logo, is that a gang?
I do have other cameras!
(26-02-2024, 07:02 AM)Praktica Wrote: Interesting definitions coming up...what is a gang? What is a gang patch? Would a shirt in a particular pattern or colour be a gang patch? If the National party has a parade of people in blue t shirts and their logo, is that a gang?

Oh, let it be so! Big Grin Big Grin Rolleyes
All Blacks...
(25-02-2024, 07:54 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I am considering buying a leather jacket.

I got myself one of these, super cozy in winter!
https://cockpitusa.com/collections/g-1-b...ght-jacket