Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welsh miners repaying help from Ukraine
What goes around comes around...

"We are mining brothers.."

Now, if we can only start to understand that it isn't just miners or any particular other group, but all of us, we migth make some progress...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-68369946

"When Ukrainian miner Vasyl Yavorsky donated his own wages to striking Welsh miners in 1984, he never thought that help would one day be returned.
However, a group of Welsh miners have now loaded up on medicine and supplies and driven from south Wales to Kyiv to repay the old favour.
The convoy is supplying much needed aid to miners fighting on the front line, two years after Russian forces invaded.
"They did not forget about us, just like we didn't in 1984," said Vasyl.

Communities in Wales affected by the miners' strike in the 1980s received much-needed support from the former Soviet Union, and from around the world.
"We are mining brothers - I remember the donation box we had, everyone donated as much as they could, and sent it to those miners", said Vasyl.

"Now 40 years later we are in need, seeking help, and our English and Welsh friends responded, and are helping our soldiers on the frontlines."
In Ukraine, there are currently hundreds, if not thousands, of miners fighting on the front lines in the war against Russia.
Wayne Thomas, who organised the trip, said he had "never forgotten" the support from Ukrainian miners during the strikes.

"I was one of the men on strike 40 years ago. I was a young man then, with a wife and child," said Mr Thomas, head of the National Union of Mineworkers in south Wales.
"I am now very proud to have the opportunity to show how grateful I am for the support we received then from Ukrainian miners," he added.
"The people we are delivering these supplies to are not only fighting on the front line, but some of the older ones were the ones collecting money and food for Welsh miners," he said.
"This is about repaying them and reminding people that Ukraine is the frontline of democracy in the fight against Russian aggression."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)