Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newshub toi close
Idiocy; clearly not making them enough profit. And that last part in the link fron Spinoff is quite scary. Dodgy

https://newsroom.co.nz/2024/02/28/newshu...m-in-june/

"Media company Newshub is to close its newsroom in New Zealand on June 30, Warner Bros. Discovery has announced, citing a dive in advertising revenue and “combination of negative events”.
The news was broken to staff this morning in an emergency meeting. All the jobs of presenters, journalists and production staff are likely to go, despite a two-week consultation process, to be confirmed by April.

The decision would mean the end of [i]Newshub [/i]at 6pm, [i]the AM Show,[/i] late news, [i]Paddy Gower has Issues[/i] and the proposed new 7pm current affairs show hosted by Ryan Bridge. It is unclear if [i]Newshub Nation[/i], the Sunday current affairs show funded by NZ on Air, could continue in some form.
The decision, if confirmed, could also impact Sky TV as Newshub has the contract to provide the Sky Open (formerly Prime) channel’s 5.30 pm bulletin daily."

Newshub is owned by global entertainment giant Warner Bros. Discovery which also owns eden, Rush, HGTV and Bravo.
Warner Bros Discovery sent out a press release this morning announcing the company would be closing “all Newshub’s multiplatform news operations and output”.
James Gibbons, President, Asia Pacific, Warner Bros. Discovery said it was not a proposal the business arrived at easily.

“We are acutely aware of our position in the local media landscape and what this means for our people, and for the country as a whole.
“There was no single trigger that caused this, rather it was a combination of negative events in New Zealand and globally. The impacts of the economic downturn have been severe, and the bounce back has not materialised as expected.”

“Everyone can see that the media sector, here in New Zealand, and around the world is facing some very tough circumstances. While Warner Bros. Discovery is a large global media company, each business is managed on its ability to sustain itself within the market it operates in. Subsidising losses for ongoing years indefinitely is not sustainable.”
In October 2023, Warner Bros Discovery announced it was axing The Project, its 7pm news and current affairs show.
The new show that was expected to replace The Project, hosted by former AM Show present Ryan Bridge, had yet to begin."

He noted that advertising revenue in New Zealand had disappeared far more quickly than the company could manage."

https://thespinoff.co.nz/media/28-02-202...ally-means

"The clues were all there, if you cared to look. The shuttering of popular 7pm show The Project late last year was followed by a cheaper, leaner show built around Ryan Bridge. That kept getting pushed back, over and over and over. The head of Newshub, Sarah Bristow, resigned around the same time – when her replacement came, he was only given an interim title. Watching ThreeNow lately, Newshub ads were more common than commercials – a clear indication that the ad market which funds the station was in dire shape.

Still, no one seemed to believe it. Two weeks ago I asked a former senior staffer at Warner Brothers Discovery (WBD), Three’s parent company, whether there was any risk to Newshub, but they were adamant it was safe. That it was to do with a hiring freeze until the new financial year, or an ad market in the doldrums. That might even have been true – until it wasn’t.

Despite gains from Sky lately, TVNZ now has an enormous weight on its shoulders, propping up the whole free-to-air TV industry. Everyone from media buyers to the big ad agencies will be wrapping their heads around what their world looks like with a much-diminished Three.

Even more troubling is what it means for news, and the plurality of voices in our democracy. Once this proposal becomes reality, we’re hurtling towards the day when the only TV news for New Zealand will be owned by the government. We’ve become used to conspiratorial complaints from senior ministers about the quality of our media – but with the demise of Newshub, so goes the only major TV newsroom that is not ultimately owned by the government. This is not trivial – think about the tonal difference between RNZ and TVNZ’s political coverage and Newshub’s – we are now living in a world where the latter is just gone.

A country with government ownership of all its major broadcast news sounds a lot like an autocracy – that is something this decidedly media-averse coalition will have to absorb and respond to in the coming days. The Fair Digital News Bargaining Bill, which is currently before select committee, already had a near-existential urgency to it; that has just escalated enormously."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(28-02-2024, 02:53 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: .......

He noted that advertising revenue in New Zealand had disappeared far more quickly than the company could manage."

The idea of NZ being left with a solitary locally based television news broadcaster is concerning for sure but the statement above is a hard reality comment on the real state of our economy.

The retail sector is pretty much dead in the water at present. When the customers slow down businesses increase advertising in an attempt to stimulate activity at the tills but when that fails to work spending money on advertising becomes regarded as a case of throwing good money after bad and that seems to be the point that NZ has reached now judging from this statement.
I don't watch any live TV news at all now - and I am probably one of many...we are not there for the targeted ads. Being able to stream and watch what we want, when we want is the way it's going. Rather than being ''told'' the news by a gorgeous blond, I prefer to pick and choose my own news from various online news sites...Newshub is one of them. I seldom watch a video, I prefer to read my own news.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
so that will leave TV3 with infomercials and reality TV I guess - I would say TV3 will be on the block (excuse the pun) not too soon after that...  

the 6pm news is the one thing I do watch on Three, everything else is crap...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
That after news thing they did put me off and sent me back to tvnz. Which I watch occasionally. Most news seems to be negative stuff, so I watch the midday bulletin, Al Jaz and not a lot else, unless I need to research something. So far, I haven't missed it.

I do like Sunday, and Q&A. In fact Sunday is a very good news day for me...
Good riddance, go woke, go broke.
Hopefully ONE News and NZ herald follow suit.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
I'm not keen on just the one govt owned news source on TV.

I may be wrong but I seem to recall something very like that - govt owned news source - back when Russia was USSR, which is slightly ironic really given the Right's habit of comparing anything slightly left to communist Russia....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNLTJRSmpT8

And its damned unfortunate for their staff; especially since management have known about this since January.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(28-02-2024, 06:16 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I'm not keen on just the one govt owned news source on TV.

I may be wrong but I seem to recall something very like that - govt owned news source - back when Russia was USSR, which is slightly ironic really given the Right's habit of comparing anything slightly left to communist Russia....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNLTJRSmpT8

And its damned unfortunate for their staff; especially since management have known about this since January.
Agreed, I don't believe in any state owned media.
Too far politically biased.
Ground news is pretty good and let's you check the political bias on the news source.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
In reality, this country is particularly blessed by its governance, its politics, its civil society, and its police. Not perfect, but in comparison with that lot out there - particularly blessed.

It is sad when a media company that offers a reasonable alternative to our state owned but independent tvnz goes down, but that is the risk when a news company is owned by an international conglomerate with one focus, and only one.

Profit.
Yes, the NEWS, generating profit. What sort of news makes the best profit...how can we encourage more of this type of news to generate more profit. Disney News - sounds a bit Mickey Mouse to me.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Always comes down to profit, no point on keeping a service going that doesn't generate income.
It's more that it comes down to the percentage of return to shareholders I guess.
The market is radically different these days with the internet, I hardly watch the news these days because I always have so much going on my newsfeed on my phone.
Newspapers have had to adapt too, but blow if I'm going to pay subscriptions to read half of them that are out there.
I think media needs to find a new way of funding today and change their business model to thrive.
https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/bryanbruce

"New Zealand Democracy is in crisis.
The news today that Warner Bros Discovery are going to close the entire newsroom at THREE should be awake up call to all New Zealanders that our democracy is under serious attack from right wing big business,
As from June your nightly broadcast news will now come only from State owned TVNZ and RNZ.
And that’s dangerous for our democracy.

Let me give you an example from my own experience.
Back in 2011 TVNZ refused to take my documentary about child poverty in our country.
“Who is going to watch a documentary with “Poverty” in the title Bryan ? The then Commissioner at TVNZ asked me when they turned it down.

So I took it to THREE who supported the making of Inside Child Poverty to NZ On Air and when they broadcast it on the eve of the 2011 election all hell let loose.
The documentary not only took the majority of the ratings from TVONE and TV2 on the night it was broadcast, thanks to the bravery of the then programmer at THREE it immediately influenced policy promises from both National and Labour affecting the well-being of children in our poorest homes.

I could only achieve that because there was an alternative channel to the State Broadcaster who didn’t want to touch it with a political bargepole.
So I am saddened to hear of the closing down of THREE’s Newsroom.
Kia kaha – all of you!
I am having my own battles trying to find funding because this Coalition government does not want to fund Public interest journalism .
I wonder why?
Well, my friends, we have the internet now and I am working on something I hope I can tell you about soon.
Please stay tuned and please share posts. It really helps to extend reach.
Thanks"
As soon as profit becomes the priority truth becomes corrupted. That is why we have to have state funded media, and keep it independent of the state. That is the only option if we are to maintain professional journalism.

The alternative is a cacophany of independent voices funded by interest, and again, truth becomes corrupted...
You have to have well funded watchdog entities with teeth.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Yup. Expecting any group of human beings to self regulate is like expecting cats not to be cats.
(29-02-2024, 08:38 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: As soon as profit becomes the priority truth becomes corrupted. That is why we have to have state funded media, and keep it independent of the state. That is the only option if we are to maintain professional journalism.

The alternative is a cacophany of independent voices funded by interest, and again, truth becomes corrupted...

That would be the sensible option, & now would be an excellent time to make quite sure that happens. With safeguards to keep meddling politicians from 'improving' things. Dodgy

(29-02-2024, 08:59 AM)zqwerty Wrote: You have to have well funded watchdog entities with teeth.

And very large, very sharp teeth at that. Rolleyes Big Grin