Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eset Nod32 Antivirus
Should I or should I not?

Got a pop up just now, offering Free Upgrade to Esset Internet. 

I have been using antivirus for many years and am quite happy without the Internet version.

Will Esset Internet cause unnecessary blockages and more complicated settings to make for this senior citizen?

wainuitech, what's your view?
(29-02-2024, 04:51 PM)Galaxy01 Wrote: Should I or should I not?

I have been using antivirus for many years and am quite happy without the Internet version.

Will Esset Internet cause unnecessary blockages and more complicated settings to make for this senior citizen?

I've run Eset Internet Security for several years now. Very unobtrusive, efficient and easy to use. It just works very well in the background with only the odd popup alerting me to emails that have been rendered harmless as Eset has ID'd and stripped a virus from them as they turn up. If you've been using ESET NOD32 up until now you'll probably not notice a day to day difference.

I also use MailWasher (from Firetrust) as a proxy email to filter out spam and other such junk. Both Eset IS and MailWasher are paid subscriptions but well worth the protection they provide for us as an online trader.
harm_less, how hard or easy to configure it when first installed?
(29-02-2024, 05:31 PM)Galaxy01 Wrote: harm_less,  how hard or easy to configure it when first installed?
It's a long time since I upgraded to Internet Security but don't remember there being anything tricky when I did. ESET pretty much takes care of things as part of the package. The only issues I've had were when I was sniffing around somewhere I probably shouldn't have been Angel and it then denies access . Nice to know ESET is looking out for you on those occasions though.
Thanks, harm_less for sharing.

The pop up says 'Upgrade for free', what you reckon my future renewals? I will have to pay for the costs of Esset Internet or same as my good old Nod32 antivirus?
(29-02-2024, 06:30 PM)Galaxy01 Wrote: Thanks, harm_less for sharing.

The pop up says 'Upgrade for free', what you reckon my future renewals?  I will have to pay for the costs of Esset Internet or same as my good old Nod32 antivirus?

As an Eset reseller myself I did query this aspect with chillisoft, the NZ distributors...

The reply I received
Quote:Customers get to upgrade to the higher product option 60 days before expiry – so they are able to test it for free before deciding at renewal whether they would like to upgrade or not.

Through the product, if they accept the upgrade – the application will update from NOD32 to Internet Security or Smart Security premium.

At renewal time, they get the option to either go back down to their original product, or renew the upgraded one they were trialling.

Kind Regards,

Deep. 
I am fairly sure the product updates itself with much user intervention...

Edit: Now whether you need it or not is another story, often the stuff available in the upgrades is already built into the OS/Browser eg password manager, firewall etc 

Version comparison
https://www.eset.com/nz/home/antivirus/?intsrc=geobox
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
So, if my understanding is correct, it's a 'Free Trial' and not actually a 'Free Upgrade'!
(29-02-2024, 07:12 PM)Galaxy01 Wrote: So, if my understanding is correct, it's  a 'Free Trial' and not actually a 'Free Upgrade'!

yeah something like that, marketing speak I guess, the actual upgrade is free but you still pay for the subscription... I'm trying hard to not feel like they have moved slightly across the continuum towards Avast, AVG et al. But it is still a good product. I only use the AV version

Thanks, king1. Smile
Have been wondering if it's actually worth staying with Eset, seeing how Windows Defender gets good write ups these days. Use WD on my laptops and have never had any trouble with it. Especially now I'm learning to live on the pension!!
If I do carry on with Eset I'll go back to the AV only.
My subscription is due to expire in May , I may also save my $50 ...
(01-03-2024, 07:47 AM)neilmcc Wrote: Have been wondering if it's actually worth staying with Eset, seeing how Windows Defender gets good write ups these days. Use WD on my laptops and have never had any trouble with it. Especially now I'm learning to live on the pension!!
If I do carry on with Eset I'll go back to the AV only.
I think that is why Eset have been busy, they had a price drop last year which has saved a few dollars for everyone, I imagine to stem the loss to Windows Defender.  For a basic user Windows Defender does a decent job.

They have been busy adding extra features to the premium versions of Eset, the feature most folks I see seem to like about the premium version of eset is the banking and payments protection, which is basically an Eset wrapped version of Chrome browser.  Gives one a visual sense of security when doing the banking

That's the feature I didn't like.It put a shortcut on my desktop which had my password and login all set up to go straight in to the bank site.
Just had a check and I can go into Eset and select safe banking, enter the bank site and voila, my bank account number and password come up and I can log straight in. Not good.
Found if I go into setup/computer protection I can disable real-time file system protection but then it warns me of horrible things to come!!
(02-03-2024, 06:40 AM)neilmcc Wrote: That's the feature I didn't like.It put a shortcut on my desktop which had my password and login all set up to go straight in to the bank site.
Just had a check and I can go into Eset and select safe banking, enter the bank site and voila, my bank account number and password come up and I can log straight in. Not good.
Found if I go into setup/computer protection I can disable real-time file system protection but then it warns me of horrible things to come!!

that is happening because the (any) browser has offered to and you have selected to save the password.  It can't know your password in advance...  I agree though it is not generally a good thing for financial sites.  I am not sure if Esets own browser (not to be confused with chrome or firefox with the Eset extension) would actually allow saved logins TBH 

you can remove the password in the browsers password manager eg with chrome it is here - you need to copy it into the address bar.
chrome://password-manager/passwords

or you can click on the user icon to right, next to settings, and look for the 'key' image

more info
https://www.dashlane.com/blog/how-to-era...-passwords

(02-03-2024, 06:40 AM)neilmcc Wrote: That's the feature I didn't like.It put a shortcut on my desktop which had my password and login all set up to go straight in to the bank site.

That's not ESET doing that, its your browser. If you go into the Browser settings, Passwords you can remove that entry. What's been happening is Browsers ( all of them) have been saving bank logins automatically, you  have to select Never to save if you want them to be manually entered.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
(29-02-2024, 04:51 PM)Galaxy01 Wrote: Should I or should I not?

Sorry for the Late reply, haven't been on here for a couple of days.

As others have said it does give more protection, with the firewall there are two options, Automatic Filtering and interactive. Automatic is the default.

Most of the time the Auto is OK, but sometimes it will block legit  programs ( but not often) in the Interactive mode, at first you would get hit with pop up after pop up asking for permission or not. 
In this mode you can allow / Deny once, or permanent. After a while it settles down, BUT at 1st in  the interactive mode you get a hell of a shock as to just how many programs are "Phoning home" all the time.  Evilgrin   in interactive mode -- NOTHING gets in or our that I dont allow, of course some things you can always allow ( say your browser or Email clients)

EDITED: attached picture of what you see in interactive and options.

I personally use Eset Endpoint Security, which is  intended for installation in business environment and can be managed remotely by ESET PROTECT while ESET Internet Security is intended for home users.  Endpoint is now 5+  Used to be the home edition could go upto 10 before changing to Business. Certainly make it easy to keep track when customer try to add in more than they have paid for Wink 

Being a reseller as well, we generally find out "what's Coming" before the public know. There are going to be a few changes, mainly in Names only, BUT there is one change thats coming, when you install for the 1st time ( home editions) you will be asked to make a Account, no option to skip -- Basically you cant do a lot in it, but you can add more licenses, or as they are soon to be called " Activation Keys"  Same thing different name. As well as actually see how may computers are using your license, and remove them if you wish.

If interested there was a Webinar the other day explains lots of whats  coming changing etc, it was just over an hour long  and has been uploaded to youtube 

Eset Webinar

At the end of the day, if you are happy with Just the Antivirus, then keep it, no need to go higher.  The price difference between AV and Internet Security is about $20

Eset Dropped their pricing, a new used to be more expensive than renewal, now they are the same ( renewal pricing)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks for the replies. When I use firefox for my banking normally I have never asked it to save my login details. I still have to manually enter them.

When I go through Eset and select safe banking, a window opens, I enter the bank for it to look for and it shows previously selected options. I select the bank login option and it opens with my login details already filled in. If I don't select a previously used entry but just search for the bank site,it searches google and I select the bank website. When I select login on that page it then opens with my details already filled in.

Looked in ff, Settings,Privacy and Security,Passwords, Saved Passwords.. my bank is not listed there. If i go to Exceptions it shows there and says that ff won't save passwords for sites listed here!!!

Any more hints what to look for? Thanks.
(03-03-2024, 07:21 AM)neilmcc Wrote: When I go through Eset and select safe banking, a window opens, I enter the bank for it to look for and it shows previously selected options. I select the bank login option and it opens with my login details already filled in. 
At this point, you need to have a look for the password manager and in there you will find entries for the saved passwords.  I believe the eset browser is based on Chrome so follow the instructions above for that...

OK, just tried saving the password for my bank account ( something I normally would never do).

used Firefox (any other browsers will be the same.) You said you did this but may have missed it -- The Actual Name.

Open Firefox - Settings - On the Left - Privacy and security - Middle of the page near top - Saved passwords -- Top Left in the Search Type in the name of your bank It will filter it out, if its not there try every other browser similar locations, one I removed from FF it prompted for the user name and password again on next log in.

In FF  the Banks are named different to what you may think.

Example:
westpac  =  bank.westpac
ANZ =  digital.anz
Thanks wainuitech. Had a thought. Went into Eset Safe banking and browsing and opened the browser page.Found the login saved under the above settings ad deleted it. Thanks all!!