Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White Island and ACC
All those claimants who went to ACC were paid out entitlements under the Act. ACC was promoted as the way to remove the need to litigate for damages or reparations, and yet over recent years we have increasingly seen the courts award payments to those impacted by accidents.

Those awards are often substantially higher than the equivalent ACC payment, and in addition to it.

Is ACC past its use by date?
(01-03-2024, 11:06 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: All those claimants who went to ACC were paid out entitlements under the Act. ACC was promoted as the way to remove the need to litigate for damages or reparations, and yet over recent years we have increasingly seen the courts award payments to those impacted by accidents.

Those awards are often substantially higher than the equivalent ACC payment, and in addition to it.

With this & the woman whose ACC payments  were stopped & the yuong woman cancer survivor in need of a prosthetic,it seems clear that changes are needed to ACC. 

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zeala...nding.html

"A Te Kūiti grandmother who's had the bottom half of her body amputated left her 'home' of two years today after ACC pulled the funding. 

Bev McIndoe, 58, was hoping ACC would fund her room at the Waitomo Lodge for one more year, while her fit-for-purpose house was built. But ACC won't extend the payments and McIndoe moved out on Friday morning. 

For two years Room 16 at Waitomo Lodge was McIndoe's home, her sanctuary, but now she's been forced to leave because ACC pulled the funding for it."

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zeala...rgery.html

"All that Greymouth woman Brittany Kremers has wanted is to live a normal life and to look and feel normal, but she's lived with pain and facial disfigurement for two decades after being diagnosed with an aggressive cancer as a child.
Brittany hoped a prosthetic would mean she could lead a more normal life, but ACC has declined her claim to fund post-surgery treatment. She remains in painful medical limbo."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
You can't blame ACC they're busy saving money to invest in overseas corporate ventures.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(01-03-2024, 11:06 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: All those claimants who went to ACC were paid out entitlements under the Act. ACC was promoted as the way to remove the need to litigate for damages or reparations, and yet over recent years we have increasingly seen the courts award payments to those impacted by accidents.

I think WorkSafe is the issue. Another entity that seems like a good thing until you get under the cover of how it operates. It seems to be able to charge whatever it wants as fines. I'm not sure what has gone on with reparations though. I would have expected ACC to still have the monopoly there since it is supposedly enshrined in the legislation. There was also footage on TV with the judge saying something about moral obligations. Moral obligations are important, but his job is to apply the law, not morality. I have also been surprised at the reporting of what appeared to be negotiation statements from the defendants who were found guilty - eg stating how much they could/would pay. Maybe that has always gone on and we just haven't had it reported in this way before. There's a lot of this that seems quite alarming. I suspect there might be some appeals coming up. Which means the victims and their families won't have closure yet.
(02-03-2024, 01:05 PM)zqwerty Wrote: You can't blame ACC they're busy saving money to invest in overseas corporate ventures.

Why yes, I'd quite forgotten. How tragic if they were to miss out... Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(02-03-2024, 10:08 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: With this & the woman whose ACC payments  were stopped & the yuong woman cancer survivor in need of a prosthetic,it seems clear that changes are needed to ACC. 

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zeala...nding.html

"A Te Kūiti grandmother who's had the bottom half of her body amputated left her 'home' of two years today after ACC pulled the funding. 

Bev McIndoe, 58, was hoping ACC would fund her room at the Waitomo Lodge for one more year, while her fit-for-purpose house was built. But ACC won't extend the payments and McIndoe moved out on Friday morning. 

For two years Room 16 at Waitomo Lodge was McIndoe's home, her sanctuary, but now she's been forced to leave because ACC pulled the funding for it."

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zeala...rgery.html

"All that Greymouth woman Brittany Kremers has wanted is to live a normal life and to look and feel normal, but she's lived with pain and facial disfigurement for two decades after being diagnosed with an aggressive cancer as a child.
Brittany hoped a prosthetic would mean she could lead a more normal life, but ACC has declined her claim to fund post-surgery treatment. She remains in painful medical limbo."
ACC have been pretty brutal in regards to the Te Kuiti woman whose impairments are clearly results of her motorcycle accident but I do struggle to see how ACC should be liable for the expected collateral damage resulting from cancer treatments in the Kremers case. ACC is intended for coverage from accidental injuries (as its name implies) so I would have thought not-unexpected post cancer issues to be a health sector dispute rather than the rather long bow that's being drawn towards ACC in this case.