Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 'get tough on gangs' idea
All well & good in principle to some extent, but the practice may be a very different thing. In particulay with younger gang members full of testosterone & lacking in life experience & self control.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-news/35019463...-and-mayor

"Gang patches: Views of a cop, gang member, lawyer and mayor

The new legislation would see all gang insignia banned in public places, would give police the power to issue ‘dispersal notices’ to gang members gathering in groups and to stop them communicating with each other. It would also allow judges to give more weight to gang membership as an aggravating factor at sentencing.
Police Commissioner Andrew Coster said the proposed law was "ambitious" and would would provide officers with further tools to “continue to put pressure on the gangs”, noting it would be up to officers to exercise their judgment about when to enforce it.
Police Association president Chris Cahill said "gang members aren't just going to hand over their patches“ and that policing the proposed law would be difficult in some areas. Some academics have been more critical. Associate law professor Carrie Leonetti called the proposed law a “political gimmick”.

The niggly bit, and it’s a niggle successive governments have struggled with since the days of Norman Kirk in the 1970s, is working out how to attenuate the impact and presence of gangs in a lawful and practical way.
To take a closer look at this we enter that allegorical bar in Hawke’s Bay, and speak to four people at the coalface.
First up is a Hawke’s Bay police officer with more that 15 years front-line experience, who is happy to speak provided he remains anonymous.

I don’t think the general public appreciates just how much gang members disdain any form of authority, and especially police officers. I mean they really hate us.
“They’re ok when they’re by themselves or in a pair. They can be civil and compliant. But any more than two and they just wind each other up like a couple of teenagers egging each other on. They’re unpredictable, irrational and dangerous,” he said.
Its really only the old, old school gang members who would be super compliant. They know how to play the game. The new generation are the problem. Full of bravado, showing off to each other. I think the last six years have seen them become way more emboldened. 

A local gang member who would also not be identified said there was no way anyone would be taking his patch, or “korowai” (’cloak’), off him.

He said he was a law-abiding citizen, as were many of his fellow gang members. He said he understood that people felt intimidated by patches, but said these tended to be people who had little or no contact with gang members and were under the impression they were all violent and/or criminal.
“Give me an instance with all the tangi of recent where a member of the public has been harmed? It didn’t happen,” he said.
The man said there were more law-abiding gang members now “than ever before” and police would be best served by laws that allowed them to treat gangs like they did any other group.

Scott Jefferson, who’s been a defence lawyer in Hawke’s Bay since 1997, said the proposed law was “simply the whipping up of fears and insecurities in the wider public for political gain”.

The Bill will inevitably fall foul of the NZ Bill of Rights Act 1990, particularly s17 - ‘Everyone has the right too freedom of association’. No wriggle room there,” he said.

Mayor Craig Little isn’t a fan of gang patches in public places, but feels there are more productive uses of police time and resources than targeting gang members for wearing their patches.
“The problem is that we associate the patches with crime. But not everyone wearing those patches is a bad bugger. They might be in a gang associated with crime, but I work with the local gangs and there’s a lot of them doing good stuff and trying to make it better for their families,” he said.
“Look, in an ideal world we wouldn’t have gangs, but we do, so we need to work with them. "
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I dont think it will achieve much unless the police double down on anyone patched and arrest them in public, or else the whole thing is just a lot of hot air.
(04-03-2024, 09:34 AM)nzoomed Wrote: I dont think it will achieve much unless the police double down on anyone patched and arrest them in public, or else the whole thing is just a lot of hot air.

I don't think Police have sufficient staff to do much really, especially in rural areas. I think there might be a  few arrests with lots of crowing & maximum publicity about this wonderful govt, & then the issue will be allowed to slowly die.. Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
If any government is serious about reducing gangs, they need to focus on the reasons gangs exist in the first place. Sort those out and the gangs will fade away because they will no longer be attractive, or have a role...
A rebellious stand in the world and a non-conforming lifestyle will always be attractive to some male and female members of society no matter what they have in the way of worldly goods or lack of and advantages/disadvantages.

Humans are evolved to look for challenges and search for them if they are not present.

Rebel without a cause.

A bit of understanding would go a long way to keep the peace in a fair society (a fair society is the biggest problem, as we are seeing right now).
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(04-03-2024, 10:19 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: If any government is serious about reducing gangs, they need to focus on the reasons gangs exist in the first place. Sort those out and the gangs will fade away because they will no longer be attractive, or have a role...

Exactly - find the causes & address them. But that isn't a quick fix, is likely to be difficult & definitely won't allow govt to look tough to their followers. 
And surely they must be well aware of that.
(04-03-2024, 10:26 AM)zqwerty Wrote: A rebellious stand in the world and a non-conforming lifestyle will always be attractive to some male and female members of society no matter what they have in the way of worldly goods or lack of and advantages/disadvantages.

Humans are evolved to look for challenges and search for them if they are not present.

Rebel without a cause.

A bit of understanding would go a long way to keep the peace in a fair society (a fair society is the biggest problem, as we are seeing right now).

Absolutely; a fair society is what's needed & the lack of which thanks to Neo Liberalism, is the cause of much of today's unfair society. 

And it isn't just here in NZ but in other countries whch also went the neo Liberal way, to their cost. In the UK, the much loved NHS has been virtually gutted.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/how...74075.html

"Nobody's told you, but the government’s Health and Social Care Act has legally abolished the NHS. On the surface, it appears that nothing has changed. You can still see your GP or go to hospital and receive care free at the point of delivery. But behind the scenes, something else is going on: the NHS is being privatised.
As a GP in Tower Hamlets, I want to tell my patients what’s really going on. Over the last 30 years, successive governments have dismantled our national health service – and here’s how they did it.

1. Create a Market
Ken Clarke, Health Secretary under Margaret Thatcher, got the ball rolling by introducing a market into the NHS. This introduced competition by turning hospital trusts into providers of services and GP/Community trusts into purchasers of services."

2. Introduce Public-Private partnerships
3. Facilitate the Corporate Takeover
4. Install a Revolving Door
5. Organise a Great Big Sell Off
6. Run a Smear Campaign
7. Legislate for the Dismantling of the NHS
8. Plot Against the NHS
9. Brew the Perfect Storm
10. Introduce Universal Private Health Insurance"

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/23/uk/uk...index.html
(04-03-2024, 09:50 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(04-03-2024, 09:34 AM)nzoomed Wrote: I dont think it will achieve much unless the police double down on anyone patched and arrest them in public, or else the whole thing is just a lot of hot air.

I don't think Police have sufficient staff to do much really, especially in rural areas. I think there might be a  few arrests with lots of crowing & maximum publicity about this wonderful govt, & then the issue will be allowed to slowly die.. Rolleyes

Biggest issue is they are so under resourced when it comes to many things, for example, you call the cops for a burglary and half the time they just say talk to your insurance company.
Would be better if all their efforts focus on these areas.
(05-03-2024, 09:33 AM)nzoomed Wrote:
(04-03-2024, 09:50 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: I don't think Police have sufficient staff to do much really, especially in rural areas. I think there might be a  few arrests with lots of crowing & maximum publicity about this wonderful govt, & then the issue will be allowed to slowly die.. Rolleyes

Biggest issue is they are so under resourced when it comes to many things, for example, you call the cops for a burglary and half the time they just say talk to your insurance company.
Would be better if all their efforts focus on these areas.

True - but that isn't going to make them look tough, which is the aim of their get 'tough on gangs' bollocks.