Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Self pity" from Journalists - David Seymour
Considering that rather a lot of them are about to lose their jobs I think they can be excused for being concerned.  I'm not keen on people being kicked when they're down, & while I agreed with his end of life bill, its becoming extremely difficult to find anything admirable about David Seymour these days

https://www.stuff.co.nz/politics/3502039...ournalists

"ACT leader David Seymour said journalists have been ‘celebrating and dancing at every slip’ a politician makes.
  • He made the comments when asked about hundreds of people set to lose jobs at TVNZ and TV3.
  • He told Stuff there had been “enormous self pity” from the media sector.

ACT leader David Seymour says journalists may want to consider their own “behaviour”, as hundreds of staff between TVNZ and TV3 face the axe.

Earlier, speaking to Newstalk ZB, Seymour criticised reporting from 1 News senior political reporter Benedict Collins about Luxon’s U-turn on claiming a $52,000 accommodation allowance to live in a house he owns mortgage-free.

“They have spent years celebrating and dancing at every slip that a politician makes, competing to get scalps as they call them,” he told the station.

“And all of a sudden they say, ‘but when we have a bad day you’ve got to be kind to us’.”
He said that “delightful lack of self-awareness” was “a big part of the problem” facing media.

Asked by Stuff what he meant by that comment, Seymour said technological change was the main reason leading to job losses - but he suggested the style of television journalism may have contributed as well.
“While I think the technological issues are the the underlying story here, a bit of self reflection from people like that wouldn't go amiss either,” he said.

Seymour told Stuff he did want to defend the news media.

Here's the real issue. 80% of the ad revenue just went to Google and Facebook. They've got shrinking newsrooms, they've got to produce more words per day, they've got less time to do scrutiny. I mean, one of my favourite movies is All the President's Men."

A TVNZ spokesperson said Seymour had singled out their reporter Collins for doing his job of challenging politicians and policies across the political spectrum on behalf of New Zealanders.
“We are not asking for sympathy as the minister suggested, but are asking for our politicians to respect the independence of our media so they can get on with their work,” the spokesperson said."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Self pity?

Lol, let's see how he feels when he loses his job. All politicians dislike the media. Especially the good journos who ask the hard questions.
(07-03-2024, 04:28 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Self pity?

Lol, let's see how he feels when he loses his job. All politicians dislike the media. Especially the good journos who ask the hard questions.

He might do better to use a bit of tact - some of these journos may be out of work in the very near future, & have nothing to lose by not being quite so kind to politicians. They might take a fancy to the idea of revenge being sweet...as they go down in flames.

Especially those politicians who slag off the media... Rolleyes Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Par for the Luxon regime.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
But wait, there's more...

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/...ticle_link

"A TVNZ spokesperson told Newshub Seymour singled out Collins for doing his job.     
"That is, challenging politicians and policies across the political spectrum on behalf of New Zealanders," the spokesperson said.
We are not asking for sympathy, but are asking for our politicians to respect the independence of our media so they can get on with their work."

But questions have now been raised about whether Seymour's comments were appropriate given he is one of two shareholding ministers of TVNZ, as Associate Minister for Finance.    
Newshub asked Prime Minister Christopher Luxon on Thursday whether Seymour's comments were appropriate.     
Luxon said he hadn't heard Seymour's comments but added it was a "tough day for people at TVNZ".    

"What I want to say on TVNZ is it's incredibly unsettling and I do genuinely feel for the staff, and all media companies here and around the world are wrestling with a changing media environment. Importantly, we recognise it's a tough day for people at TVNZ," Luxon told media at a press conference at the Basin Reserve in Wellington.    

When questioned again about Seymour's comments by Newshub, the Prime Minister said he believes politicians of all parties "probably think they get unfair treatment from the media but the bottom line is you play a very important role in our democracy".    
It's not the first time Seymour and the ACT Party have lashed out at the media recently.     

ACT released a damning newsletter on Tuesday with similar comments to what Seymour made to Newstalk ZB.     

The newsletter, which doesn't disclose its author, says journalists "grin down the camera" at politicians' failures and have competed for decades for scalps.    
"They piled in on politicians who said Newshub's closure was the market in action, media are changing, and it's sad for the people involved but them's the breaks and other true and reasonable things," the newsletter said. "