Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I didn't realise you had to be wealthy to have cancer
Our health system needs fixing. This family have had to set up a give a little page.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/society/35020323...knock-head
'
In Nykala Garrett’s world, it’s when she wakes up that the nightmare begins.
A few months ago she was a busy mum of a blended family of five, working as a nurse and enjoying life with her partner Rikki Tako.
Then Tako, 32, was hit on the head with the hook end of a crane in a workplace accident.

They thought he had concussion. It was tough, but manageable.
Except two weeks before Christmas everything changed and life would never be the same.
Tests showed Tako had a fast growing and aggressive cancer known as a brain stem glioblastoma. It was likely the young father had only a few months left to live.
Glioblastoma can cause headaches, a loss of balance, weakness on one side of the face and difficulty walking. It grows quickly, destroying healthy tissue as it does. It can be treated but it cannot be cured.

Heartbreakingly, the tumour was always there but probably wouldn’t have become a problem until he was in his 50s or 60s. It was the workplace accident that caused the cell dysfunction that led to its rapid growth.

Because Garrett is “able bodied”, she says the family isn’t eligible for a carer to look after Tako.
“They want me to be Rikki’s 24/7 carer and look after the five kids, do the housework, and everything on my own. I said to them the math isn’t mathing.”
Not only does she not have enough hours in the day, the family is now under massive financial strain having lost both Tako’s and Garrett’s incomes.
She has tried every avenue to get help for the family, but there isn’t anything available, she says.
“We had an assessment from community support services at the hospital. They offered me 15 days funding.”

But Garrett hasn’t seen any of that funding and it’s less than the minimum wage anyway.

She currently gets a supported living payment and an accommodation allowance from WINZ, which she is grateful for.
But after they’ve paid their weekly rent of $700, done the groceries and paid the household bills there’s almost nothing left for the family to be able to enjoy their last days with Tako without stress.
The financial stress just adds to what is already a difficult situation, Garrett says. They wished there was more financial help that was easily accessible for people in their situation.
As for Tako, he says he’s “all good”. He’s just taking it one day at a time.
“But I didn’t realise you had to be rich to have cancer.”
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
No. I'm sorry, but it has always been devastating to deal with a life challenge, be we rich or poor, supported or alone. If it isn't cancer, it might be a divorce, or a sick child, or an earthquake, or a scam, or something else...

This is the point of being alive, being challenged, having to face incredibly hard decisions, growing our courage resources, not starting a Give a Little Page. Life is neither easy nor fair, to expect it to be so is to live in a delusion.

Deal with it and survive, or drown. That's life.
Give a Little Pages are the latest version of begging, powered by the internet.
It doesn't help that tabloid inclined media people seize upon any disease of the week stories and headline them in order to sell advertising space. It is the cheap and easy way to bring in the dollars, but it undermines the industry which in turn results in industry degradation like we have seen this past week or so.

In the end the good stuff suffers and the dross rises to the top.
Surely though, a definition of being 'able bodied' has to be able to work but in his situation he can't & nor is he fit to look after their kids while she works. Even a carer to look after him would be some help - however are they going to be able to cope when he gets worse.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
The same way other families do when disaster strikes I guess. And it happens to people every day, sadly. Most don't go to the media though.
Perhaps if more did go to the media, it might bring about change. Though not with this govt of course,

I think our health sustem badly needs fixing.
Surely Rikki Tako should be receiving Accident Compensation as his declining health is the result of a workplace accident? There are competent ACC lawyers around to help them.
ACC get out from under that one by designating consequential health issues as degeneration, which is specifically excluded from cover. So, the surgeries I had to repair the accidental injuries were covered, but the surgeries to repair the resulting osteoarthritis are not. And to make the exclusion even more certain they do not cover anything age related.
And now, WINZ have told them they cannot have the funds fromthe givealittle page as its a 'cash asset'. There's mean spirited, & then there's WINZ...

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zeala...onour.html

Twenty-six-year-old Nykala Garrett was forced to quit her job at the end of last year to care for her partner Rikki Tako, who has terminal cancer and less than six months to live.
Since then, the couple and their five children have been relying on a Work and Income Supported Living Payment.
"We want to enjoy the time we have left together, and be positive, and have experiences, and do things that bring us joy, and then, instead, my days are consumed with trying to organise all of this," Garrett said.

She was referring to the Givealittle page, set up in her name, to pay for funeral and care costs. It's already raised $40,000 in donations. 
"We were like, 'Maybe we'll raise a few thousand' - [we] weren't expecting this generosity."

Nor was she expecting a call from the Ministry of Social Development to arrange an urgent meeting regarding the couple's benefit eligibility.
Garrett said they took her into a room with a closed door, with a member of the fraud team and a manager, and told her the money could be considered a cash asset.

But when approached by Newshub, Gloria Campbell, the Ministry of Social Development regional commissioner of Taranaki, King Country and Whanganui said the money pledged through Givealittle is not considered income or a cash asset because "Nykala and Rikki have not received it. We have not adjusted Nykala and Rikki's benefit payments because of their Givealittle".

She did not explain what would happen after the money was transferred out of the Givealitte account.

But Garrett said she was told the benefit would be cut and she "could lose any support basically".

"I get cracking down on benefits, I do. But they're going after the wrong people here."
WINZ must be part of Misery Stupidity and Depravity (MSD).
(18-03-2024, 10:29 AM)alpha111 Wrote: WINZ must be part of Misery Stupidity and Depravity (MSD).

Probably its leading department... Rolleyes