Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This doco that was just aired on Maori TV is a great approach to identify where we're currently going wrong environmentally and possible solutions in a very digestible and relatable format.
2040? I would be way too old...

We definitely are the blessed generation.
I went to 2040, but came back here, it's much better.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(10-03-2024, 03:15 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: 2040? I would be way too old...

We definitely are the blessed generation.
The doco is presented as a father concerned what sort of world his young daughter will face by the time she is 21. I have a grandaughter coming up 2 years old with a 3 month old brother and I have similar concerns for their futures.
Hopefully by then they will realise that we worried about nothing when it came to global warming and will look back and laugh.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/09/us/ch...tions.html
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(11-03-2024, 11:37 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Hopefully by then they will realise that we worried about nothing when it came to global warming and will look back and laugh.

even skeptics should hedge their bets, just in case...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(11-03-2024, 11:37 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Hopefully by then they will realise that we worried about nothing when it came to global warming and will look back and laugh.
You reply in dismissal of global warming with a (paywall restricted) news report about an extreme weather event. Only goes to show you have no fucken idea about the climatic destabilisation that is part and parcel of the harm being inflicted to our weather systems. Coming here with half arsed anecdotes plucked from your conspiracy theorist repertoire goes nowhere near proving your opinions.
I believe CT still thinks the issue is only about global warming, so a post of an extreme cold event could refute climate change...
However, the world has moved on and knowledge has improved (about 30 years ago) and we now know that it is not just causing global warming outcomes, but all manner of extreme climatic events, just like the one CT linked TBH
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(12-03-2024, 08:56 AM)king1 Wrote: I believe CT still thinks the issue is only about global warming, so a post of an extreme cold event could refute climate change...
However, the world has moved on and knowledge has improved (about 30 years ago) and we now know that it is not just causing global warming outcomes, but all manner of extreme climatic events, just like the one CT linked TBH
As our climate warms weather systems, which are after all the effect of nature's attempts to address temperature imbalances, become more volatile which in turn results in more extreme weather events. The idiocy of thinking that a few degrees of global temperature will reduce cold weather events such as the one reported on in the NY Times article has no place in any sensible discussion on climate change.

CT is just demonstrating he has no idea whatsoever of the difference between climate and weather.
I am a gardener and have been for more than half a century. I know climate change is real because I have seen the changing underway, and I have no faith that humanity will suddenly cease to change its ways in order to offset the results. I do have faith in the resilience of some of our children and theirs to cope with their reality, but I suspect many will suffer badly. Primarily the poor, the uneducated, and those unfortunate enough to be born in the wrong places, the wrong societies, and the wrong nations.

So I keep planting and being grateful for my own blessings in being born a boomer.
(12-03-2024, 08:33 AM)harm_less Wrote:
 you have no fucken idea 

You've just described our "favourite" troll!!
I do have other cameras!
I don't think he is a troll though. I think he is fixed in his ideas and not willing to budge. It is a comfortable place of safety, and we all do it at times, because if we risk having that reality shaken or stirred it threatens our ego, our self esteem, and the reality we live inside.

In a way, he challenges us to back up the reality we live inside. Unfortunately for him though, we have his much denied science - and education , on our side.

So far...
(12-03-2024, 01:20 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I don't think he is a troll though. I think he is fixed in his ideas and not willing to budge. It is a comfortable place of safety, and we all do it at times, because if we risk having that reality shaken or stirred it threatens our ego, our self esteem, and the reality we live inside.

In a way, he challenges us to back up the reality we live inside. Unfortunately for him though, we have his much denied science - and education , on our side.

So far...

A comfortable place of safety - that would be nice...
I do have other cameras!