Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My shiney new knee
Underwent knee joint replacement on Thursday. All seems to have gone well and I was home in my own bed by Friday night. First night's sleep was drug assisted but not great but feeling much more comfortable now.

Self regulated physio for the coming weeks and hopefully reasonable mobility by the end of April. Viewing Youtube clips of what is involved in my procedure is not recommended for the squeamish, or if you're waiting for the operation yourself.
Oh congrats! That is not an easy one but so worth it in the long run. And no, ignorance is definitely bliss!
My father had both done at the same time. Made a huge difference.
You won't know yourself
And you get to show off YOUR scar...
(11-03-2024, 11:13 AM)nzoomed Wrote: My father had both done at the same time. Made a huge difference.
You won't know yourself
Had my other knee done 15 years ago on ACC. A half joint which is now due for an upgrade to a full one. I did suggest getting that done at the same time but my surgeon declined due to my being out for too long and the added risk of infection as the replacement will require a stabilising pin into the bone.

I did have PRP (stem cell) treatment done on my recently replaced one about 6 years back but degradation since then plus a kick from a young steer about 18 months back meant another PRP wasn't going to cut the mustard.

The condition of my knees is a direct result of tearing up and down Egmont in my younger and 'bullet proof' years with a pack on my back. ACC turned me down prior to my PRP procedure due to pre-existing wear even though I'd managed to make the grade on the other one.

(11-03-2024, 12:07 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: And you get to show off YOUR scar...
It's a good one too. Robot placement of the prosthesis required a guide post to be screwed into my tibia.
Yup. I had a screw put through my heel to keep the foot in place while they undid one ankle fusion and redid it so I could actually walk. Painful recovery, but the pin scar through the heel didn't hurt at all afterwards. Unless I stood on it, lol...

Bloody surgeons.
(11-03-2024, 01:04 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(11-03-2024, 11:13 AM)nzoomed Wrote: My father had both done at the same time. Made a huge difference.
You won't know yourself
Had my other knee done 15 years ago on ACC. A half joint which is now due for an upgrade to a full one. I did suggest getting that done at the same time but my surgeon declined due to my being out for too long and the added risk of infection as the replacement will require a stabilising pin into the bone.

I did have PRP (stem cell) treatment done on my recently replaced one about 6 years back but degradation since then plus a kick from a young steer about 18 months back meant another PRP wasn't going to cut the mustard.

The condition of my knees is a direct result of tearing up and down Egmont in my younger and 'bullet proof' years with a pack on my back. ACC turned me down prior to my PRP procedure due to pre-existing wear even though I'd managed to make the grade on the other one.

My father did alot of similar damage when he would tear about when he was young too.

PRP, is that platelet rich plasma treatment? Didnt know it made use of stem cells, but it looks promising long term in the future.
(14-03-2024, 07:53 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(11-03-2024, 01:04 PM)harm_less Wrote: Had my other knee done 15 years ago on ACC. A half joint which is now due for an upgrade to a full one. I did suggest getting that done at the same time but my surgeon declined due to my being out for too long and the added risk of infection as the replacement will require a stabilising pin into the bone.

My father did alot of similar damage when he would tear about when he was young too.

PRP, is that platelet rich plasma treatment? Didnt know it made use of stem cells, but it looks promising long term in the future.
PRP explained here, which is where I got mine done about 6 years back. Axis Sports Medicine in AKL was going to be my next provider but orthopaedic advice directed me towards surgery due to the damage evident in my knee.

Obviously Axis and others use it to provide benefits for sports injuries but I undertand it is also used in veterinary applications for the likes of race horses. The surgeon who did my original half joint implant was/is very dismissive of PRP treatment whereas my current surgeon is supportive and curious about its effectiveness, which is why I got him to do my current surgery, and the upcoming revision from half to full when it's time for that. I prefer openmindedness in such health professionals.
(15-03-2024, 10:18 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(14-03-2024, 07:53 PM)nzoomed Wrote: My father did alot of similar damage when he would tear about when he was young too.

PRP explained here, which is where I got mine done about 6 years back. Axis Sports Medicine in AKL was going to be my next provider but orthopaedic advice directed me towards surgery due to the damage evident in my knee.

Obviously Axis and others use it to provide benefits for sports injuries but I undertand it is also used in veterinary applications for the likes of race horses. The surgeon who did my original half joint implant was/is very dismissive of PRP treatment whereas my current surgeon is supportive and curious about its effectiveness, which is why I got him to do my current surgery, and the upcoming revision from half to full when it's time for that. I prefer openmindedness in such health professionals.

Looks quite an interesting treatment, there is alot of research going into this field, it can only get better over time.
I guess it also depends somewhat on how far the arthritis had progressed?
(20-03-2024, 12:04 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(15-03-2024, 10:18 AM)harm_less Wrote: PRP explained here, which is where I got mine done about 6 years back. Axis Sports Medicine in AKL was going to be my next provider but orthopaedic advice directed me towards surgery due to the damage evident in my knee.

Looks quite an interesting treatment, there is alot of research going into this field, it can only get better over time.
Yes. Essentially my surgeon made the call from my MRI that I had insufficient cartilage remaining (i.e. bone on bone) in the medial meniscus for PRP to be viable. Post surgery he reported that the lateral meniscus had also reached its use by date so a full joint replacement had been the right call.

From what I understand if the cartilage is severly worn and/or calcification of the joint is present then the rejuvenation provided by PRP won't be successful. Works well on a joint that has moderate wear but not too far beyond that.

I'm getting about without crutches or sticks, with care, and had the stitches in the navigation post wounds and all dressings removed yesterday. Close to 90 degree of bend so far with physio starting tomorrow.
(20-03-2024, 12:40 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(20-03-2024, 12:04 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Looks quite an interesting treatment, there is alot of research going into this field, it can only get better over time.
Yes. Essentially my surgeon made the call from my MRI that I had insufficient cartilage remaining (i.e. bone on bone) in the medial meniscus for PRP to be viable. Post surgery he reported that the lateral meniscus had also reached its use by date so a full joint replacement had been the right call.

From what I understand if the cartilage is severly worn and/or calcification of the joint is present then the rejuvenation provided by PRP won't be successful. Works well on a joint that has moderate wear but not too far beyond that.

I'm getting about without crutches or sticks, with care, and had the stitches in the navigation post wounds and all dressings removed yesterday. Close to 90 degree of bend so far with physio starting tomorrow.
That would make alot of sense, it needs alot of healthy cells to regenerate from.
That's good to hear you are now mobile.
It took my father a bit, with lots of exercises but he got most of his movement back, if not more, because his arthritis was so bad that he couldn't get much movement. 
Stupid doctor removed his cartilage decades ago as it was a silly idea they had back then to treat it. Just made it worse  but now at long last he is free of pain.