Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starship Rocket launch livestream
Yep, we're littering space just as we have littered the Earth. But, hey, we all have computers/cellphones so need the satellites. We will all benefit from the advancements in science. It's war and space that tend to move us forward. I would rather it was the space initiatives, and prefer it to be private business spending money rather than government funds.
(17-03-2024, 01:55 PM)SueDonim Wrote: Yep, we're littering space just as we have littered the Earth. But, hey, we all have computers/cellphones so need the satellites. We will all benefit from the advancements in science. It's war and space that tend to move us forward. I would rather it was the space initiatives, and prefer it to be private business spending money rather than government funds.

That's why reusable rockets will be instrumental in reducing space junk, even better is that starship with its large payload bay will be able to collect objects and remove them from orbit.
There have also been some exciting developments in robotic spacecraft that can collect debris and de-orbit.
Space debris is a major concern and it threatens space travel and satellite communications.
Taken long enough for the industry to take this seriously.
on the subject this was in the news last month
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/5095...space-junk
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Oh yes I heard about that, uses LIDAR to image the debris and track it for future missions.
NZ also recently has built a tracking station for space debris. There is a whole network of the things around the globe, it was built by an American company with funding from NASA IIRC.
It's quite a concern and the last thing we need is a Kessler syndrome.