Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK, help for dosabled people to find jobs is axed
I occasionally have  look at a UK forum, IDF50 & came across a thread about this under the heading 'Sadistic bastards.' 

You really have to wonder at the mentality of politicians wanting to do this. I hope our govt doesn't borrow this despicable idea, its diffocult to comprehend that any govt can be so cruel.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024...-crackdown

Quote:A major scheme to help disabled people into work has been quietly scrapped – just as the prime minister announced a crackdown on disability benefits.
The £100m Work and Health Programme, operating in England and Wales, will end in the autumn, providers have been told, at the same time that Rishi Sunak wants to cut benefits for 420,000 sick and disabled people in an attempt to force them into work – a move that charities say would instead leave people destitute.
The blow to disabled people comes after the prime minister unveiled a plan to hand power to officials with no medical training to decide whether an employee is sick, raising the possibility that decisions about workers’ health will be taken to hit targets rather than on clinical need.
The prime minister wants to cut the disability welfare budget of £69bn a year, amid rising levels of sickness. The charitable Health Foundation said last week that by 2040 health inequalities meant that 3.7 million adults, many in deprived areas, would be living with a major illness such as type 2 diabetes, chronic pain or depression.
Sunak said that Britain had a “sicknote culture” and blamed the problem of “young people … parked on welfare”, although the majority of people receiving statutory sick pay are women over 50 working part-time, according to the Resolution Foundation.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)