Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disability funding changes 'callous'
From the Bastards R' Us govt. Dodgy

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/512...abour-says

"Labour says the government's move to narrow disability support funding criteria is "callous", and breaks a promise not to cut frontline services.
The government argues the amount of funding has not been cut - just what it can be spent on.
Whaikaha, the Ministry for Disabled People, unveiled changes on Monday to purchasing rules for disabled people's equipment and modifications supports and services.
This meant things that "would be considered something that every citizen has to pay for" would not be eligible, among a range of other restrictions.

The ministry said the changes - which took effect on the same day they were announced - did not reduce the amount of funding allocated to disabled people, and only made clear what could be purchased.
Labour's Disability Issues spokesperson Priyanca Radhakrishnan said the announcement was very unclear, but it was a cut.
"This is a cut to frontline services, let's be very clear about that," she said.
"This is support services that disabled people and their carers rely on ... it is narrowing the criteria to the funding to such an extent that parents who've contacted me say they won't be able to access anything through it. That's a cut."

She said the move flew in the face of the ethos of a 20-year programme that had pushed for greater flexibility for disabled people around the use of funding.

"This is unacceptable. This is taking flexibility and choice away from disabled people and their carers, and there is a lot of anger out there about the fact that there was no consultation or engagement around this. It came out really suddenly through a facebook post, I understand, yesterday - and it was implemented as of yesterday.

"The word that some parents have used that I completely agree with, is 'callous'."

"This whole conversation about the Enabling Good Lives appropach and the shift towards more flexiblity started 20 years ago ... successive governments have been implementing parts of that, we had committed to extending the support ... we were going to extend that to two more [sites] and extend it further.

"I've heard the comment that this is taking us back 20 years to the start of that, and I worry that it is."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
It's callous, cruel, and an indication that the present coalition government has decided not to display any understanding of the complexities of whanau which include people with disabilities.   It's promoting an almost mediaeval view that bad things happen to bad people who cannot be trusted.
Got to pay for all those tax cuts somehow....
Sounds like the funding was being exploited a bit by what was said last night.
Please note its not affecting funding to caregivers or anything essential.
The govt is having to cut as much spending as possible thanks to the mess labour left us in.
Media are making a big deal about it by throwing in the words "disabled"
From what it appears, they are basically reforming the system to make sure any funding is appropriately spent on genuine need.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(20-03-2024, 08:29 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Sounds like the funding was being exploited a bit by what was said last night.
The govt is having to cut as much spending as possible thanks to the mess labour left us in.
From what it appears, they are basically reforming the system to make sure any funding is appropriately spent on genuine need.

You seem to have missed this:

"The ministry said the changes - which took effect on the same day they were announced - did not reduce the amount of funding allocated to disabled people, and only made clear what could be purchased.
Labour's Disability Issues spokesperson Priyanca Radhakrishnan said the announcement was very unclear, but it was a cut.
"This is a cut to frontline services, let's be very clear about that," she said.

"This is support services that disabled people and their carers rely on ... it is narrowing the criteria to the funding to such an extent that parents who've contacted me say they won't be able to access anything through it. That's a cut."

"This is unacceptable. This is taking flexibility and choice away from disabled people and their carers, and there is a lot of anger out there about the fact that there was no consultation or engagement around this. It came out really suddenly through a facebook post, I understand, yesterday - and it was implemented as of yesterday.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(20-03-2024, 08:29 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Sounds like the funding was being exploited a bit by what was said last night.

Hey - you sound like just the right person who would want to buy my bridge! It's hardly used, and I can do you a fantastic deal!
I do have other cameras!
My first thought oddly enough was this comedy skit from some years back...

Not the Nine O'clock News

This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup

Not sure if I've inserted this effectively.   From Newshub.
(20-03-2024, 11:48 AM)king1 Wrote: My first thought oddly enough was this comedy skit from some years back...

Not the Nine O'clock News

We could do with them again now - & here! Rolleyes

(20-03-2024, 12:08 PM)Olive Wrote: Not sure if I've inserted this effectively.   From Newshub.

Uncannily accurate... Big Grin Big Grin
The changes have been slammed by those it affects.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/whanganui-...T2VZKPNPA/

"Whanganui disability advocates have slammed the Government’s changes to disability funding.
The Ministry of Disabled People announced this week new limits on what disabled people can buy with their funding.
Julian Emmett of Whanganui, who was born with cerebral palsy and has been a long-time advocate for disability access, said he was appalled to learn via social media about the allocations.
“It seems that these changes have been made without any consultation with the disability sector,” he said.

The ministry, which commissions support services for about 50,000 people and funds equipment for around 100,000 people, said there would be changes to the way equipment such as wheelchairs and home modifications were prioritised.
Disabilities Minister Penny Simmonds said there would not be a reduction in funding and the aim was to focus on the needs of people with disabilities.

Emmett said he was unsure how the changes would affect him personally.
“At the moment I’m more concerned about caregivers of children with disabilities and how they will be affected,” he said.
“I don’t know how the ministry could have arrived at their decisions without adequately consulting the people who will be affected.”
Emmett said the move “flies in the face” of the increased choice and control people had achieved in spending their support funding under an approach known as Enabling Good Lives."