Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rotorua cancels rainbow story time
The McBishop will be well pelased... Dodgy

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/ldr/512228/ro...y-concerns

"Rotorua Library's Rainbow Storytime event has been cancelled due to security concerns amid "hostile dialogue" and "rapid spread of misinformation", the council says.
It comes after Destiny Church leader Brian Tamaki last week pledged to shut down the event prompting calls for a counter-protest to protect attendees. Two Rotorua Lakes Council elected members clashed over differing views of the event.
The free event planned for Thursday would have seen Taranaki drag queen entertainers Coco (Sunita Torrance) and Erika Flash (Daniel Lockett) reading children books such as Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae.

The council released a statement this afternoon advising the event will no longer be held.
It said Rainbow Storytime was a family-friendly event aimed at younger children, including book-reading, singing and dancing.
"The event is focussed on acceptance, anti-bullying, inclusion, being kind and having confidence in yourself. It has been a popular event in many other libraries and registrations for the event at Rotorua Library were full.

"Unfortunately, due to safety concerns, we have had to make the decision to cancel the event."
The statement said the council knew it would be disappointing for the children, parents and community members who wanted to participate in an "entertaining and empowering experience".
"Rotorua Library is an inclusive and safe space that encourages understanding and tolerance in our community and we have received a lot of positive feedback and support for the event.
"Unfortunately, not all our residents feel the same way and we have become aware that protests have been organised that changes the security profile of this event."

It acknowledged people's right to peaceful protest but said "multiple attempts" to contact protest representatives asking them to respect the space, library users and those who had chosen to attend the event went unanswered.
"Without these assurances, [the] council needed to review its security plan for Rainbow Storytime.
"We considered the hostile dialogue on social media and the rapid spread of misinformation about the performers and the purpose of the event as key factors."
It said the safety of those attending and its staff was a priority - and was especially important for events designed for younger children."

But it seems that the creator of Rainbow storytime is a former member of Tamaki's 'church.' 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/kahu/brains-b...FPXHH5L2Q/

"The creator of the Rainbow Storyline readings that Brian Tamaki has shut down in Rotorua is a former Destiny Church member who is angered at the abuse she and drag queen Daniel Lockett, who she reads with, have received from Tamaki’s team.
Sunita Torrance - stage name Coco - is the drag queen performer behind the Rainbow Storytime readings. Torrance and Lockett - Erika Flash - dress in drag and read children books such as Giraffes Can’t Dance by Giles Andreae.

Torrance said since news of Tamaki’s protest action had been made public, she and Lockett had been abused and threatened.

Tamaki told the Herald he makes no apology for forcing the Rotorua cancellation.
I am so proud of our teams and the people of Rotorua who stood up to local council and Drag Queens in Libraries Storytelling our Children,” Tamaki said.

As a father and great-grandfather, I will go to any lengths to protect my children.
Many good people have been trying to get these shut down for a while now, but I’m happy to lend my assistance to this cause, to finally make that possible. They are inappropriate as they sexualise our Kiwi children.
I now have set my sights on events planned at the Gisborne Library and Hastings Library next week.”

Torrance said she was bought up as part of the Destiny Church whānau.
About 20 years ago me and my mum attended Destiny Church,” Torrance said.

"I grew up in the church, so I have that upbringing and I would never subscribe to the idea of telling people they shouldn’t exist - where does that come from?”

We had 80 people registered for Rotorua, they are the ones who will miss out.

I created this curriculum on my own and it’s about children reading and having fun.”
The online abuse has come quick and hard, Torrance said, and contained inaccuracies.

Lockett’s character, based on Erika in Priscilla Queen of the Desert, has been twisted to suit others’ agendas.
We have been targeted online and the abuse has been terrible.

They are publishing our names and our photos and crossing the line but being called a paedophile is about the lowest thing you can do to anyone.
Daniel is about to move to London to work and who would want that type of accusation hanging around?

These people talk about freedom of speech but sounds like just their type of speech is acceptable.”
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I am in favour of the right to protest, but when it is used as a weapon then it has crossed a line.
[Image: tvo3w75v56pc1-png.5753741]
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(21-03-2024, 03:06 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I am in favour of the right to protest, but when it is used as a weapon then it has crossed a line.

I don't think there's any doubt that that lot are using it as a weapon.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
There is a mean spirit present in a lot of self serving zealots. In addition to that over powering ego that allows them to think it is their right to lord it over the lives of people completely unrelated to them.
Kids dont need to see that shit at a young age so im not complaining, but no excuse for any threats of violence however, but its unclear how hostile destiny were.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Destroying public property is pretty hostile...
(29-03-2024, 08:41 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Kids dont need to see that shit at a young age so im not complaining, but no excuse for any threats of violence however, but its unclear how hostile destiny were.

On the contrary, kids need to understand that the wotld is not black & white, & that there are all kinds of different people. And frankly, they may well be more at risk from growing up with warped minds from the Destiny zealots, pushing their agenda.
(29-03-2024, 11:04 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(29-03-2024, 08:41 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Kids dont need to see that shit at a young age so im not complaining, but no excuse for any threats of violence however, but its unclear how hostile destiny were.

On the contrary, kids need to understand that the wotld is not black & white, & that there are all kinds of different people. And frankly, they may well be more at risk from growing up with warped minds from the Destiny zealots, pushing their agenda.
I've watched so much of Corporal Klinger, Tootsie, Mrs Doubtfire, Dame Edna and Dr. Frankenfurter I must be irrevocably damaged as a result. Scarred for life I'm sure  Blush
(29-03-2024, 11:28 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(29-03-2024, 11:04 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: On the contrary, kids need to understand that the wotld is not black & white, & that there are all kinds of different people. And frankly, they may well be more at risk from growing up with warped minds from the Destiny zealots, pushing their agenda.
I've watched so much of Corporal Klinger, Tootsie, Mrs Doubtfire, Dame Edna and Dr. Frankenfurter I must be irrevocably damaged as a result. Scarred for life I'm sure  Blush

My goodness, it could almost be ... normal?
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(29-03-2024, 11:04 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: On the contrary, kids need to understand that the wotld is not black & white, & that there are all kinds of different people. And frankly, they may well be more at risk from growing up with warped minds from the Destiny zealots, pushing their agenda.

Most of us must be...yet somehow, we manage to live relatively normal lives... Rolleyes Big Grin
"There is a mean spirit present in a lot of self serving zealots. In addition to that over powering ego that allows them to think it is their right to lord it over the lives of people completely unrelated to them."

Yes, thank you, Oh_hunnihunni, very well put and so concise as well. Sums up the National Party as well, as opposed to Labour.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

I used to enjoy all those to, but that's not the same thing as drag, Dame Edna is the only thing that comes close.
Lol when I was a kid I thought she was a woman!
But drag in the context we see it promoted was purely a form of adult entertainment.
Don't think kids are ready for that at that age.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(06-04-2024, 08:11 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(29-03-2024, 11:28 AM)harm_less Wrote: I've watched so much of Corporal Klinger, Tootsie, Mrs Doubtfire, Dame Edna and Dr. Frankenfurter I must be irrevocably damaged as a result. Scarred for life I'm sure  Blush

I used to enjoy all those to, but that's not the same thing as drag, Dame Edna is the only thing that comes close.
Lol when I was a kid I thought she was a woman!
But drag in the context we see it promoted was purely a form of adult entertainment.
Don't think kids are ready for that at that age.

There are two things kids love: stories & dress ups.

This combines both, & frankly if it gets kids reading, then that's going to help.