Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job cuts - "Good!" Seymour...
An empathy free zone it seems - as well as tactless...

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/...-good.html

"The ACT Party is calling the announcement by the Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI) to slash about 9 percent of its staff "good". 
MPI's proposal to cut 384 jobs emerged in an email to staff on Thursday afternoon. About 40 percent of proposed cuts are for vacant roles. 
It comes as MPI tries to scramble 7.5 percent in cash savings from July 1, as demanded by the Government ahead of May's Budget. 
Other ministries and departments have been asked to make similar savings."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Its good to know that even David Seymour is OK with helping some people.

https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/politi...ront-page/

"The IMF again called for introducing a comprehensive capital gains tax, combined with a land value tax, and changes to corporate income tax. 
However, two out of three coalition partners have promised no new taxes - with Prime Minister Christopher Luxon ruling it out earlier this week and Seymour committing to it today in a conversation with The Front Page. 
“I think we need to be really clear here - the Government doesn’t have a problem with not enough tax. It’s taxing more than any time in history, taxing about 140 billion a year, that is enough. 

“I see the IMF again saying, ‘oh, you need a capital gains tax. Every country has one. The only countries that don’t have one are New Zealand and Switzerland’. But, I say, let’s be more like Switzerland.” 

Seymour has been a champion for the Government to find savings. However, there has been one area of belt-tightening that Seymour agrees went too far. 

The Ministry of Disabled People announced this week new limits on what disabled people could purchase with their funding. It also said there would be changes to how equipment like wheelchairs and home modifications were prioritised. 

It prompted a “please explain” from Finance Minister Nicola Willis - and clarification from Minister for Disability Issues Penny Simmonds about Budget caps and the fact that order reductions have nothing to do with the Government’s call for cuts. 
“I think the Minister for Disabilities already said that was a mistake,” Seymour told The Front Page. 
“While I’m all in favour of reducing government spending, cutting taxes, putting stuff over to private enterprise and households and businesses making choices, you know, I’m that guy - I’d like to think more than anyone - we do have a responsibility in our society to help people who genuinely have no other source of help and have no other way of changing their situation,” he said. "
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)