Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad China
This is our largest trading partner?

Quote:New Zealand is backing the United Kingdom in its condemnation of People's Republic of China (PRC) state-backed malicious cyber activitybut won't be introducing sanctions.
The GCSB's National Cyber Security Centre completed an assessment following a compromise of the Parliamentary Counsel Office and the Parliamentary Service in 2021, and has attributed this activity to a PRC state-sponsored group known as APT40, GCSB Minister Judith Collins says.
Judith Collins on Tuesday revealed a second hack in 2021 but says the malicious activity was contained and the actor was removed shortly after accessing the networks.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/512...th-collins
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I am in two minds about China going into sovereign nations to sweep up groups of scammers. I am not sure whether to thank them or be annoyed at the invasion.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/202...-laws.html

China works on very different cultural principles to most of the world, it seems.
yeah they probably need to liaise with the host nation before doing so...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(26-03-2024, 11:10 AM)king1 Wrote: yeah they probably need to liaise with the host nation before doing so...

Yes, the sheer arrogance of what they did doesn't help their image. Had they done things differently, they'd perhaps have had loads of praise for stopping the scammers
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
We might see it as arrogance, they see it very differently.For instance, the scammers were their own people, so the over arching cultural imperatIve is to sort out your own, in order to avoid losing face. We see this with the state in China in a lot of areas, their prestige and standing is of enormous importance to them. To trust another nation to sort out a nest of Chinese crooks is probably beyond them.

I cannot help from my Western cultural perspective to see it as a kind of personality disorder, and in that sense, yelling at them will achieve nothing. Diplomacy, as a form of talk therapy might be a better approach.
(26-03-2024, 03:20 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: We might see it as arrogance, they see it very differently.For instance, the scammers were their own people, so the over arching cultural imperatIve is to sort out your own, in order to avoid losing face. We see this with the state in China in a lot of areas, their prestige and standing is of enormous importance to them. To trust another nation to sort out a nest of Chinese crooks is probably beyond them.

I cannot help from my Western cultural perspective to see it as a kind of personality disorder, and in that sense, yelling at them will achieve nothing. Diplomacy, as a form of talk therapy might be a better approach.

I understand their concerns about scammers; that isn't the problem. Its the way the went about it, just arriving in another country & grabbing people up with no concern for what - or who - they may have been disrupting, & removing them while wearing hoods in order to presumably avoid identification.

Have any of those people got children who've been left behind? Partners, friends, family? We don't know & we'll probably never know & probably never know what becomes of those people who will almost certainly have families in China,if not in Fiji.
And I suspect that China would have a fairly strong reaction, if another country was to do this to their own people in China.They've lost more face by behaving this way in someone else's country than the scammers have caused.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
We cannot see through their eyes, they cannot see through ours. But, anything anyone does to bring the gang based scamming industry to its knees has to be a step in the right direction. They ruin lives all over the world, and any country sheltering them should be actively cleaning out those set ups, rather than ignoring them.
China have their finger in the pie everywhere, Australia and the US have faced similar situations.
Interesting how they are going into other jurisdictions to arrest scammers.
(26-03-2024, 08:34 PM)nzoomed Wrote: China have their finger in the pie everywhere, Australia and the US have faced similar situations.

I've no problem with them ending scammers, just the way they do it,
(27-03-2024, 10:29 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(26-03-2024, 08:34 PM)nzoomed Wrote: China have their finger in the pie everywhere, Australia and the US have faced similar situations.

I've no problem with them ending scammers, just the way they do it,

Agreed, it sounds like that's what those controversial Chinese "police" are being used for. But this appears to be unrelated to the recent hack.